Larry Hagman has died

HarryCarter

Sad news. Larry Hagman has died at the age of 81. :(

Actor Larry Hagman, notorious as 'Dallas' villain J.R. Ewing, dies

Larry Hagman, the North Texas native who played the conniving and mischievous J.R. Ewing on the TV show Dallas, died Friday at a Dallas hospital. He was 81.

Mr. Hagman died at 4:20 p.m. Friday at Medical City Dallas Hospital from complications of his recent battle with cancer, members of his family said.

“Larry was back in his beloved Dallas, re-enacting the iconic role he loved most,” the family said in a statement. “Larry’s family and close friends had joined him in Dallas for the Thanksgiving holiday. When he passed, he was surrounded by loved ones. It was a peaceful passing, just as he had wished for. The family requests

privacy at this time.”

The iconic role of J.R. Ewing metamorphosed Mr. Hagman’s life. He rocketed from being a merely well-known TV actor on I Dream of Jeannie and the son of

Broadway legend Mary Martin, to the kind of transnational fame known only by the likes of the Beatles and Muhammad Ali.

Mr. Hagman made his home in California with his wife of nearly 60 years, the former Maj Axelsson. Despite obvious physical frailty, he gamely returned to Dallas to

film season one of TNT’s Dallas reboot and part of season two.

Linda Gray's agent, Jeffrey Lane, said the actress was at Mr. Hagman's bedside when he died, according to The Sun in London. He said another co-star, Patrick

Duffy, was also present. “They had been friends for 35 years and they had worked together for many years, so obviously it is devastating," Mr. Lane told The Sun.

More details to come.

My link

Barbara Eden on Larry's death:

I still cannot completely express the shock and impact from the news that Larry Hagman has passed. I can still remember, that first day on Zuma Beach with him, in the frigid cold. From that day for five more years, Larry was the center of so many fun, wild, shocking… and in retrospect, memorable moments that will remain in my heart forever. He was such a key element in my life for so long and even, years after I Dream of Jeannie; our paths crossed many times. Throughout various productions I had the pleasure of watching the Texas Tornado that was Larry Hagman. Amidst a whirlwind of big laughs, big smiles and unrestrained personality Larry was always, simply Larry. You couldn’t fault him for it, it was just who he was…. I, like many others believed he had beat Cancer and yet we are reminded that life is never guaranteed. My deepest condolences go out to his wife Maj, his son and daughter and his grandchildren, as well as his friends in this time of his passing. I can honestly say that we’ve lost not just a great actor, not just a television icon, but an element of pure Americana. Goodbye Larry, there was no one like you before and there will never be anyone like you again.

http://tvline.com/2012/11/23/larry-hagman-dead-at-age-81/

Adding to Mr. Hagman's final act:

...watching, several years ago, the DIY Channel, and Ed Begley, Jr., and wife, visit and tour of the Hagmans' hilltop home, and his WAY EXTREME use of solar energy panels on his home, which he 'shared' with those in the valley, who were 'less wealthy' than he. In other words, he was modestly saying he was sharing power with the entire valley, it would seem.

What a GREAT HUMANITARIAN! I'm hoping some P.R. comes out about that now that he is gone...

Having seen every episode of I Dream of Jeanie and then every single one of Dallas over and over, including the iconic WHO SHOT JR? I always loved this great actor, he seemed to be a real oddball in his life, which only made him more special. Loved his wife for sixty years, was close to his family and friends, and even found one last hurrah as he went back to his greatest role ever, J R Ewing. I knew he had surmounted health issues his whole life, especially at the end, but yes, like so many of you i thought he had beaten all of his health woes and he just kept going on and on . . . sad news indeed. Truly a rich and very full life, an example for all.

There are pictures on Getty Images of Larry attending a fundraiser in Texas with former Dallas co-star Sheree Wilson (wonder if she'll be cropping up on Season 2 of the new series) and he looked fine -- thin, but not any moreso than he had within the last two or three years. Very sad.

There are pictures on Getty Images of Larry attending a fundraiser in Texas with former Dallas co-star Sheree Wilson (wonder if she'll be cropping up on Season 2 of the new series) and he looked fine -- thin, but not any moreso than he had within the last two or three years. Very sad.

I checked out the new Dallas once or twice and found it boring as hell. Nothing compatered to the original which went along fine for years and Larry was a very big part of that, he became that dastardly villain and played it for all it was worth. Barbara Bel Geddes, Jim Davis and now Larry, three great actors in a fantastic series that will never be forgotten. Now people will be tuning in the new show to see Larry in his last performances.

Archived