OTHER FAMOUS PEOPLE WHO DIED

C L A U D E

Long-time soap star Jeanne Cooper died today at 84. She was also mother of Corbin Bernsen.

She wasn't BIG enough to get her own DEATH thread? I was just shocked hours ago when I read about her passing on the net. Never saw her on that soap as I never watched that particular one but I remember how big a fuss her own real life face lift was incorporated into the show, a la Maude. She seemed like MY type of woman, her son says she was sassy and therefore never B O R I N G. She was letting them have it in the hospital to the very end. Have seen her in a few things over the decades, she's won an Emmy for her soap and was nominated eleven times so she had to be good. I was also shocked when I found out she was the L A Law star's mother, they even worked together I think once.

Long-time soap star Jeanne Cooper died today at 84. She was also mother of Corbin Bernsen.

The Young and The Restless won't feel the same without her. Her character last friday episode survived brain surgery. How ironic? There have been conflicting stories of her condition since last Friday. Some blog pronounced her passing over the weekend and they had to retract it on Monday with reports that she was doing better.

Rest in Peace Jeanne Cooper

Jeanne Cooper, d. 5/8/13; actress, 127 titles; of The Young And The Restless fame, 1005 episodes, as Kay Chancellor, 1973-2013; mother to actor, Corbin Bernsen; guest, Desilu Studios'-filmed, The Lineup, “The Glorietta Shakedown Case”, 1958; as well as Desilu Productions', The Untouchables, “The Case Against Eliot Ness”, as Fran Cagle, 1962; “One Last Killing”, as Belle Alpine, 1963; is born this date in 1928.

The Young and The Restless won't feel the same without her. Her character last friday episode survived brain surgery. How ironic? There have been conflicting stories of her condition since last Friday. Some blog pronounced her passing over the weekend and they had to retract it on Monday with reports that she was doing better.

Rest in Peace Jeanne Cooper

So we still don't know what she died of huh?

She wasn't BIG enough to get her own DEATH thread? I was just shocked hours ago when I read about her passing on the net. Never saw her on that soap as I never watched that particular one but I remember how big a fuss her own real life face lift was incorporated into the show, a la Maude. She seemed like MY type of woman, her son says she was sassy and therefore never B O R I N G. She was letting them have it in the hospital to the very end. Have seen her in a few things over the decades, she's won an Emmy for her soap and was nominated eleven times so she had to be good. I was also shocked when I found out she was the L A Law star's mother, they even worked together I think once.

I never watched the show either but I was very familiar with her as you note she got a lot of attention for the show and was probably up there with Susan Lucci and Deidre Hall in terms of fame (which is saying something given she was like 20 years older than them and they're not kids either). I've never forgot two interviews I've read of her which tell a lot about that personality you mention, that I think would probably make Elaine Stritch look timid. In one she was talking about watching a prime time actress (Dana Delaney I think) badmouth soap opera actors and their laziness or lack of talent and Cooper said she "wanted to crawl into the screen and strangle her." And the night of her Emmy award (where a bunch of veterans were all given career achievement Emmys) some disinterested photographer taking pictures for some magazine or something called out to the group "which one of you is Jeanne Cooper?" and she responded "Over here ***hole!" :lucyhaha:

• Like 1

I never watched the show either but I was very familiar with her as you note she got a lot of attention for the show and was probably up there with Susan Lucci and Deidre Hall in terms of fame (which is saying something given she was like 20 years older than them and they're not kids either). I've never forgot two interviews I've read of her which tell a lot about that personality you mention, that I think would probably make Elaine Stritch look timid. In one she was talking about watching a prime time actress (Dana Delaney I think) badmouth soap opera actors and their laziness or lack of talent and Cooper said she "wanted to crawl into the screen and strangle her." And the night of her Emmy award (where a bunch of veterans were all given career achievement Emmys) some disinterested photographer taking pictures for some magazine or something called out to the group "which one of you is Jeanne Cooper?" and she responded "Over here ***hole!" :lucyhaha:

Oooh, I just love THAT! LOL! Seems she is sadly missed by loads of people as she had quite the following BECAUSE of that sparkling personality of hers. Funny you mentioning Elaine Stritch, I think they could have been sisters, LOL! Very few of those old time BROADS as some would call them.

Dr. Joyce Brothers has just passed away at 85. Man, she was all over television in the 1960's and 1970's, very surprised she never did a Lucy show. It seemed to me her tv appearances fell off in the 1980's but apparently it was just my tv viewing as she's loaded with credits into the 1990's and as recent as 2004. She was usually "herself" even on dramatic and comedy shows but I see she also played a fair number of roles in various programs, often cast as a doctor. I don't remember many of her acting gigs (she was even in 21 movies!) but it seemed when I as a kid in the 70's she was a game show panelist as much as anyone.

Dr. Joyce Brothers has just passed away at 85. Man, she was all over television in the 1960's and 1970's, very surprised she never did a Lucy show. It seemed to me her tv appearances fell off in the 1980's but apparently it was just my tv viewing as she's loaded with credits into the 1990's and as recent as 2004. She was usually "herself" even on dramatic and comedy shows but I see she also played a fair number of roles in various programs, often cast as a doctor. I don't remember many of her acting gigs (she was even in 21 movies!) but it seemed when I as a kid in the 70's she was a game show panelist as much as anyone.

Yup, just read that moments ago on the net, I agree with you that we remember her being on all the time back then, she was HUGE in those old days. Had a Barbara Walters way of talking, very dignified and loved by many.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Character actor Joe Conley, who appeared in Desi's "The Carol Channing Show" pilot, with Gale in "All Hands on Deck", and "with" Mary Jane in "The People's Choice", has died at 85. He is probably best remembered for "The Waltons":

http://www.latimes.c...0,4547334.story

Funny, on the Waltons, he didn't LOOK Chinese.

Character actor Joe Conley, who appeared in Desi's "The Carol Channing Show" pilot, with Gale in "All Hands on Deck", and "with" Mary Jane in "The People's Choice", has died at 85. He is probably best remembered for "The Waltons":

http://www.latimes.c...0,4547334.story

That's sad. I always liked when the kids would go to Mr. Godsey's store on The Waltons.

This really hits close, the only show on the air I watch regularly is Glee. I've watched and enjoyed every episode. He was a wonderful talent and very handsome. He also seemed like such a down to earth, nice person, that just wanted to be happy.

I do hope though that he knew how much he means to the fans of Glee. He was an inspiration for many, not only through Finn but also as being himself. Hearts are broken all over the world.

For some reason this death seems unreal. Maybe because it was so random? Maybe because he is so young? I don't know, but Glee will never be the same. Finn was one of the best parts of Glee.

I just hope that his family and loved ones are doing well. I hope they know millions of people are reaching out and giving them their love.

Rest In Peace, Cory Monteith. Shine with the stars!

This really hits close, the only show on the air I watch regularly is Glee. I've watched and enjoyed every episode. He was a wonderful talent and very handsome. He also seemed like such a down to earth, nice person, that just wanted to be happy.

I do hope though that he knew how much he means to the fans of Glee. He was an inspiration for many, not only through Finn but also as being himself. Hearts are broken all over the world.

For some reason this death seems unreal. Maybe because it was so random? Maybe because he is so young? I don't know, but Glee will never be the same. Finn was one of the best parts of Glee.

I just hope that his family and loved ones are doing well. I hope they know millions of people are reaching out and giving them their love.

Rest In Peace, Cory Monteith. Shine with the stars!

Apparently a GLEE convention, instead of being a tribute to GLEE is now a memorial to Cory. This is obviously a drugs and booze story, he came out of rehab, was seen with Michelle at a few places, they even took a vacation together, but he went back to his old ways. The media is saying he was having this problem with drugs and alcohol BEFORE he ever did GLEE he started drinking at twelve and his mom was happy, as was he, that he had an outlet, something to keep his mind off his past with the show and his great contribution to it. I especially enjoy all HIS musical numbers that are being showcased on many sites.