OTHER FAMOUS PEOPLE WHO DIED

C L A U D E

The wonderful, Tony winning actress Marian Seldes has died at the age of 86. She was also the widow of Garson Kanin. Seldes is in the Guinness Book of World Records for playing all 1,809 performances of the play Deathtrap on Broadway.

http://www.theatermania.com/new-york-city-theater/news/marian-seldes-obituary_69658.html

a20.jpg

Posted Yesterday, 10:21 PM

'The wonderful, Tony winning actress Marian Seldes has died at the age of 86. She was also the widow of Garson Kanin. Seldes is in the Guinness Book of World Records for playing all 1,809 performances of the play Deathtrap on Broadway.'

Harry:  This photo - did they appear together on Broadway?    Thanks, JK

Had no idea who she was until you mentioned Deathtrap. Is that the film with Christopher Reeve? If it was, that was a great story. How about Geoffrey Holder, Whoopie just mentioned him on The View and he was a big Broadway star too, wasn't he?

Brock posted about Geoffrey Holder up the thread a bit.

Deathtrap was made into a film with Christopher Reeve, but Marian Seldes was not in it. Dyan Cannon played the role Marian originated on Broadway.

Here is a great New York Times profile on Marian Seldes when she received an honorary Tony Award in 2010.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/13/magazine/13seldes-t.html?pagewanted=all

Harry: This photo - did they appear together on Broadway? Thanks, JK

Lucie and Marian Seldes did not appear on Broadway together. However, they both participated in an all star staged reading of Auntie Mame in 2003. Lucie played Sally Cato and Marian played Vera. Charles Busch was Mame, Rue McClanahan was Mother Burnside, Charles Shaugnessy was Brian O'Bannion, Swoosie Kutz played Agnes, Anthony Edwards was Beau, and Beth Howland and Charles Kimborough played the Upsons. Valerie Harper served as narrator.

No Harry, I worded that wrong, I wanted to know if the play Deathtrap was the same as the film Deathtrap with Reeve, I KNEW she was not in it, sorry.  Remember the time I thought The Mousetrap was Deathtrap?  And sorry also about the Holder thread, had not seen it.  Incredible casting on that Auntie Mame, LOL!

• 2 weeks later...

Who is he?  How could you ask that?  He was the older guy in the four person group called The Manhattan Transfer.  They once did, among their many jazzy numbers, a terrific video parody of the fab four with the older man of the group, the one who passed away at 72, Tim Hauser playing Fred, and the other three playing Lucy, Ethel and Ricky. 

I almost typed WHO'S MARCIA STRASSMAN, then I remembered her billing in Welcome Back Kotter, had forgotten she did those honey shrunk kids too.  She seems, after reading her bio, to be one special person, with her involvement with cancer charities even before getting it herself. One less SPECIAL giving wonderful person on this earth.  R I P Marcia.