OTHER FAMOUS PEOPLE WHO DIED

C L A U D E

One of my all times favorites, John McMartin, has passed away at the age of 86. McMartin appeared on The Golden Girls (as Dorothy's priest date), Mary Tyler Moore, Phyllis, Murder She Wrote (with Lucie), and most recently Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt (for which he should have gotten an Emmy nom). He also probably starred in the most amount of unsold TV pilots without ever becoming a regular on a TV series. He starred in the original Broadway productions of Follies, Sweet Charity (and the film), and many other shows. I had the great fortune of seeing him on stage several times and meeting him once. Despite originating roles in over 20 Broadway shows, he never won a Tony Award. Every year I hoped he would get an lifetime achievement one.

McMartinJohn_288x375.jpg

https://youtu.be/_oxAdC5NGlI

A handsome and charming man I'm embarrassed to admit but not surprised he was also a "song and dance man". 

Among his many appearances on episodic TV, he also appeared opposite my favorite TV mom Busty Ingels as a romantic suitor on one of the first episodes of The Partridge Family (Jaclyn Smith played his niece in one of her first roles).

Nice to hear he was still active and was still working -- presumably because he wanted to -- as most recently as an appearance on "Schmidt"! :peachonthebeach:

• 1 month later...

Never heard of her but she seems to have had a wonderful life, performing-wise anyway. Do we know, did she ever appear on Ed Sullivan or other variety shows in her time?

Loved the 70s era photos, particularly her cooking in her RV as well as the one where she's reunited with an old school teacher. Sweet! :peachonthebeach:

Awwww sad.  :(

I recall observing he and another late, great talent actor and dialect coach Robert Easton dining together on several occasions at a local Burbank eatery I frequented, dying inside because I would have given anything to listen to what I'm sure were great stories they were sharing about their experiences in the business.  Oh to have been a fly!! :blink:

RIP Mr. Kaplan.  I know you were so much more but I'll always remember you first and most fondly from Hanna Barbera's Top Cat! :peachonthebeach:

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw that Hugh O'Brien -- star of "The Life and Legend of Wyatt Earp" -- filmed by Desilu back in the 1950s, has died. I am sure there will be various on-line obits...

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/hugh-obrian-dead-the-life-and-legend-of-wyatt-earp-1201852383/

I met him a few times when he and Lucy attended various charity events here in Los Angeles, usually for his Youth Leadership Foundation.

• 2 weeks later...

Emmy-Nominated Actor James Stacy Dies at 80

James Stacy, who was Emmy-nominated for his role as a wheelchair-bound amputee in TV movie Just A Little Inconvenience and starred in Western series "Lancer" died Thursday in Ventura, Calif. He was 80.

His turbulent life included being married to actresses Connie Stevens and Kim Darby, becoming a double amputee after a motorcycle accident, and serving prison time for child molestation.

His partner Antigoni Tsamparlis confirmed his death and said he had possibly suffered an allergic reaction after being admitted to the hospital.

Born Maurice W. Elias in Los Angeles, Stacy appeared on “The Donna Reed Show” (1958) and “The Adventures of Ozzie & Harriet” (1952), and had a recurring role in “Wiseguy” (1990). He also appeared in numerous episodes of “Bonanza” (1973), “Gunsmoke” (1964-73) and received a producing credit for the film “My Kidnapper, My Love” (1980).

Appearing as a wounded Vietnam vet in “Just a Little Inconvenience” opposite Barbara Hershey, he hoped to encourage other amputees and persons with disabilities to fulfill their goals of living a full life.

After his motorcycle accident, he also appeared in Kirk Douglas’s “Posse” and was Emmy-nominated for a guest appearance on “Cagney & Lacey.”

Stacy is survived by his partner Tsamparlis; a daughter with Darby, Heather Elias; grandson Luk Maxwell; great-grandson Lester James Maxwell; brother Louie; and sister Carolyn.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/entertainment/news/emmy-nominated-actor-james-stacy-dies-at-80/ar-BBwdsgp?li=BBnbfcL

See, I love knowing stuff like that! Still think someone should have started a "Six Degrees to Big Red" game a long time ago akin to the Kevin Bacon one... he certainly couldn't have worked/been connected with any more folks than SHE did!! :blink:

Joey:  THAT's why my Lucille Ball chronology is so special; tedious; comprehensive; has ALL I can find of this type of 'stuff' in it;  birth/deaths of those who worked with her; and SO MUCH more!  12 years really isn't enough time to do it all; double check; edit; etc.....hope it's appreciated if it EVER gets published.  Working on it!  JK :fabrary: