OTHER FAMOUS PEOPLE WHO DIED

C L A U D E

It doesn't get much worse than this. Two of my all-time favorite singers. Barbara's Kennedy Center Honors is without question my favorite, and her Carnegie Hall album It's Better With a Band is without question one of the best ever in terms of orchestrations, performance level, everything. It'll be hard to hear Gentle On My Mind (or ANY of Glen's songs) without getting choked up.

• Like 1

It doesn't get much worse than this. Two of my all-time favorite singers. Barbara's Kennedy Center Honors is without question my favorite, and her Carnegie Hall album It's Better With a Band is without question one of the best ever in terms of orchestrations, performance level, everything. It'll be hard to hear Gentle On My Mind (or ANY of Glen's songs) without getting choked up.

I've been hearing the beautiful duet in my head all day since I've heard this sad news that Campbell did with the wundaful Anne Murray (now retired, sadly), "By The Time I Get to Phoenix/I Say A Little Prayer"...which, despite the tragedy of his passing, has made me smile whenever I think about it.

Just glad it wasn't "Rhinestone Cowboy" on repeat in my brain! :blink:

• Like 1

Had she been ill? I thought I'd just recently read that she was retiring...and I don't think that it was that long ago. Sad. :(

The cause of death was listed as respiratory failure. With her retirement, I figured it wouldn't be long (I didn't think it would be this quick, either). And with Glen, of course, we've seen this coming for about three years now. They said his disease progresses much slower than it normally would because he was able to play the guitar.

Had she been ill? I thought I'd just recently read that she was retiring...and I don't think that it was that long ago. Sad. :(

Barbara had been frail in recent years and was confined to a wheelchair. Last year, to coincide with the release of her autobiography, she was supposed to do a one woman show off-Broadway directed by Tommy Tune, but it was cancelled because she was not up to the demands of it. Her son announced a few months ago that Barbara was officially retired. I regret never seeing her perform in person.

• Like 1

I've been hearing the beautiful duet in my head all day since I've heard this sad news that Campbell did with the wundaful Anne Murray (now retired, sadly), "By The Time I Get to Phoenix/I Say A Little Prayer"...which, despite the tragedy of his passing, has made me smile whenever I think about it.

Just glad it wasn't "Rhinestone Cowboy" on repeat in my brain! :blink:

I love "Rhinestone Cowboy"!  It was one of my favorite songs as a kid and I still think it's a great tune.  That, and "Gentle on My Mind," are my favorite Campbell tunes (although "Southern Nights" ranks up there as well).  Several months ago I was playing "Gentle on My Mind" practically on a loop.  It's just one of those songs I can't get enough of.  I've been listening to it a lot again since the news yesterday.

I have vague memories of watching The Glen Campbell Goodtime Hour -- very vague because I was so young at the time.  Less vague are memories of Glen Campbell and Tanya Tucker in the tabloids.  He lived quite a life, but these final years were sad (Alzheimer's is such a wretched disease).  His musical legacy will surely live on.

• Like 2

Barbara had been frail in recent years and was confined to a wheelchair. Last year, to coincide with the release of her autobiography, she was supposed to do a one woman show off-Broadway directed by Tommy Tune, but it was cancelled because she was not up to the demands of it. Her son announced a few months ago that Barbara was officially retired. I regret never seeing her perform in person.

That makes two of us. :lucyblah:

I love "Rhinestone Cowboy"!  It was one of my favorite songs as a kid and I still think it's a great tune.  That, and "Gentle on My Mind," are my favorite Campbell tunes (although "Southern Nights" ranks up there as well).  Several months ago I was playing "Gentle on My Mind" practically on a loop.  It's just one of those songs I can't get enough of.  I've been listening to it a lot again since the news yesterday.

I have vague memories of watching The Glen Campbell Goodtime Hour -- very vague because I was so young at the time.  Less vague are memories of Glen Campbell and Tanya Tucker in the tabloids.  He lived quite a life, but these final years were sad (Alzheimer's is such a wretched disease).  His musical legacy will surely live on.

Yes, I like RC too I wasn't really knocking it, don't want anyone misinterpreting my comment, it's just one of those songs (to me) that you may not hear for ages and then when it pops in your head, you keep hearing it over & over till you want to shake your head like a maracas to "get it out"! :blink:

Campbell had a long and storied career, which goes back to and includes his early days as a studio musician in the 60s, ultimately tagged as a charter member of the now legendary Wrecking Crew.  I'm sure I've touted it elsewhere in these "pages", but for those unfamiliar, there's an excellent documentary out there, which has won many awards and played the film festival circuit for years, about the famous (and in some ways, infamous) group of studio musicians who played in various configurations on nearly every hit record produced in Hollywood during the 60's and well into the 70s.  I love a good documentary and this is one of the best I've ever seen, it's chock full of archival footage, vintage clips, surviving member interviews and tons and tons of great, familiar, classic music.  Campbell, while not the primary focus, is featured and features his professional beginning.  It's out on DVD and Blu-Ray with voluminous bonus features, and is available for streaming on Amazon.com. 

Please do yourself a favor and check it out: I can't recommend it highly enough!  :peachonthebeach:

DVD:

https://www.amazon.com/Wrecking-Crew-Beach-Boys/dp/B00UHJ7F4S/ref=ice_ac_b_dpb_twi_dvd_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1502293767&sr=1-3&keywords=wrecking+crew

BD:

https://www.amazon.com/Wrecking-Crew-Blu-ray-Beach-Boys/dp/B00UHJ7J8U/ref=ice_ac_b_dpb_twi_blu_2?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1502293767&sr=1-3&keywords=wrecking+crew

Streaming (rent or buy):

https://www.amazon.com/Wrecking-Crew-Brian-Wilson/dp/B00UMX7DYQ

51yFnk3XRxL._SY300_.jpgWRECKING_CREW_LAYERED_copy.jpg

Yes, I like RC too I wasn't really knocking it, don't want anyone misinterpreting my comment, it's just one of those songs (to me) that you may not hear for ages and then when it pops in your head, you keep hearing it over & over till you want to shake your head like a maracas to "get it out"! :blink:

That's known as an earworm.  I had one of those stuck in my head a couple years ago and it was very strange.  I almost accidentally stumbled across this song from the 1930s, that I had never even heard of: "I'll Never Say 'Never Again' Again."  And it wouldn't get out of my head for the LONGEST time.  I don't know who composed it, but it seems it was recorded by a lot of artists over the years, including Nat King Cole.  But this is the version I came across, by a bandleader named Frank Dailey, born in 1901, and vocalist Nancy Flake, who would have turned 100 this year.

And now I'm going to have this stuck in my head AGAIN.  Maybe the cure for me would be listening to "Rhinestone Cowboy"!  ;)

Campbell had a long and storied career, which goes back to and includes his early days as a studio musician in the 60s, ultimately tagged as a charter member of the now legendary Wrecking Crew.  I'm sure I've touted it elsewhere in these "pages", but for those unfamiliar, there's an excellent documentary out there, which has won many awards and played the film festival circuit for years, about the famous (and in some ways, infamous) group of studio musicians who played in various configurations on nearly every hit record produced in Hollywood during the 60's and well into the 70s.  I love a good documentary and this is one of the best I've ever seen, it's chock full of archival footage, vintage clips, surviving member interviews and tons and tons of great, familiar, classic music.  Campbell, while not the primary focus, is featured and features his professional beginning.  It's out on DVD and Blu-Ray with voluminous bonus features, and is available for streaming on Amazon.com. 

Please do yourself a favor and check it out: I can't recommend it highly enough!  :peachonthebeach:

Yes, I know about the Wrecking Crew documentary.  I've been wanting to see it for the longest time!  It actually played a couple years ago in an art house movie theater down the street from my house, but I missed it.  :(  Thanks for those links.  I may just have to break down and purchase it.

• 2 weeks later...

Jay Thomas of Cheers and Murphy Brown fame has died at 69!

I was watching Murphy Brown when I read the news (not an episode that he was in, but still...)

Noooooooo! He was soooo good -- basically playing himself, I always felt -- on Cheers, MB and another Diane English sitcom created for him as lead, Love & War which co-starred Susan Dey during it's first season and the always wonderful Annie Potts for the remainder of the run (3 seasons total, if I recall correctly). Awwww, so sad....too young.

Every Christmas he'd appear with Letterman where they had this insane, long-running contest of who could throw a football and knock off the "meatball" that served as the angel on the Christmas tree!! :blink:

Well that sucks. I have a lot of episodes of his early 90s series Love and War and always found him enjoyable.

I'm gonna have to find out privately how you find cool stuff (big Susan Dey fan here by way of TPF and Busty Ingels, natch!) like this that has never seen the ("legitimate") light of day!! :HALKING:

I've heard Love & War wasn't a particularly outstanding show (Shelly, I'm gonna take a wild stab and assume your interest comes from Joanna Gleason), but after this I may check it out. I never cared for his Jerry Gold character, but I enjoyed him on Cheers and he guested on Gilbert Gottfried's podcast really recently, which is always a gem.

I've heard Love & War wasn't a particularly outstanding show (Shelly, I'm gonna take a wild stab and assume your interest comes from Joanna Gleason), but after this I may check it out. I never cared for his Jerry Gold character, but I enjoyed him on Cheers and he guested on Gilbert Gottfried's podcast really recently, which is always a gem.

100% because of Joanna but I rather enjoyed it. I think it got better in the second season. Potts added new life, Joanna tones down her characters stupidness and it was like Cheers light. Good supporting cast.

• Like 2