OTHER FAMOUS PEOPLE WHO DIED

C L A U D E

13 hours ago, JessiLu said:

Lucie did an Instagram post dedicated to Burt the other day. I had read they dated, but didn’t realize it was for as long as a year.

I was surprised to learn it was a year too. I was always under the impression it was a few months. I think I read once that while they were dating they ventured out to find the Chatsworth house. Bert also mentioned them dating and him meeting Lucy on her Variety Clubs Tribute. 

• Like 2

Burt certainly had a long and unique career, being a minor but semi-regular character on "Riverboat" and "Gunsmoke",  TWO failed ABC detective shows, and then at an age when for most actors, the superstar-ship would have already sailed, he hits it big with Deliverance, poses for Cosmopolitan (not completely naked as usually stated) and then spends several years as one of the top box office draws in movies.  His later career side-choices are interesting: his Florida theater and his game show Win Lose or Draw.   He even had a minor hit with sitcom "Evening Shade" and kept making comebacks.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Spongebob Squarepants creator Stephen Hillenburg has died at 57 after battling ALS for the past couple of years. I don't know if anyone else here is young enough to have grown up on Spongebob, but it really was miles above the silly "kid's programming" that a lot of people pigeonholed it to be. He gave life to one of the most unique, inspiring, and hilarious shows of all time. Even my grandparents are fans!

• Sad 1

44 minutes ago, Freddie2 said:

Spongebob Squarepants creator Stephen Hillenburg has died at 57 after battling ALS for the past couple of years. I don't know if anyone else here is young enough to have grown up on Spongebob, but it really was miles above the silly "kid's programming" that a lot of people pigeonholed it to be. He gave life to one of the most unique, inspiring, and hilarious shows of all time. Even my grandparents are fans!

I remember watching the early episodes of SpongeBob in the late 90s. It is a creative, funny little show. I'm very sad to hear the news. 

47 minutes ago, Freddie2 said:

Did know if you knew but it was a Broadway musical this year.

3 hours ago, Luvsbway said:

Did know if you knew but it was a Broadway musical this year.

I was aware of that project, but I didn't really have an interest in it. The show is great on TV, but I suspect this adaptation falls more under the commercial sect rather than the creative. The couple of times I've been in New York since it opened, the production hasn't been on my radar of things to see. I've been to a few Broadway shows that have a kids/tourist-y audience and it's not a pleasant vibe (for me, at least).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Freddie2 said:

I was aware of that project, but I didn't really have an interest in it. The show is great on TV, but I suspect this adaptation falls more under the commercial sect rather than the creative. The couple of times I've been in New York since it opened, the production hasn't been on my radar of things to see. I've been to a few Broadway shows that have a kids/tourist-y audience and it's not a pleasant vibe (for me, at least).

Well it wasn't on many people's radar as it did close. And yes, very commercial. Surprised it got so many tony nominations. 

• Like 1

I can't make a lick of sense out of this. "Dick Joke Naming Convention"??? What is the Mary Taylor Moore Show connection? Doris appeared on Phyllis, but that's about it. I'm very much intrigued but also don't want to give this wacko any of my time. Kind of excited to hear his Mary Jane Croft/Lady Bird Johnson theory, though. 

"PETER FARRELL, the Portland Oregonian's TV columnist from 1979 to 2004 has died at the age of 79."

I only bring him up because I had a Life with Lucy battle with him in 1986.  (Just to remind: this was BEFORE email, so it was through the regular mail).   His review of the first "Life with Lucy" was no rave but he did point out 3 things she did well:  pointing to the box with the casserole, dancing to Top Jimmy and tasting her own health drink concoction.  His only real complaint was the it was all so "old hat" (yes I suppose, but wasn't that what people expected?)   He prefaced this review by saying he's "never really been a Lucille Ball fan".  (then I say "find another line of work"!!).

It wasn't until after the national reviews came out, the ones that hated the show and Lucy herself so fiercely and cruelly, that Farrell started slamming the show in his column (apparently without viewing any more episodes).  I wrote him a letter, chastising him for "changing his mind" about the show and not giving Lucy a chance by viewing additional episodes.  I pointed out that his initial review wasn't all that bad.  He wrote me back in a most unpleasant and curt tone.  Can't remember what he said but something along the lines of "butt OUT. What the hell do YOU know?"!!

This same thing happened with "Mame" reviews.  I collected every local paper reviews I could find and most of them were fair-to-pretty good; in addition to Variety's qualified thumbs-up.   It wasn't until the national magazines came out ("Time", in particular) that "Mame"-bashing became OK.   This included our local movie reviewer, whose initial review was kind to the movie and Lucy.   (This reviewer was much more into things like "The Exorcist" and later "Star Wars", so "Mame" was not his cup of tea to begin with.)  And then at the end of the year, he named "Mame" as one of the 10 worst movies of 1974. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...