OTHER FAMOUS PEOPLE WHO DIED

C L A U D E

On 10/18/2019 at 3:09 PM, Freddie2 said:

God finally got Bill Macy for that at 97.

Macy was 3rd billed --behind Art Carney and Lily Tomlin- in one of my all-time favorite movies "The Late Show" released in 1977.  It was up for and won several awards and the critics loved it but it was a major FLOP.    I loved it so much I saw it 4 times in one week (took several friends to it).   Save for a handful of other (non-laughing) people, the theater was vacant.  I'll check but Bill may have been up for an award himself.   Macy is great and it's the movie Art should have won his Oscar for.  This is IMO his best work.  As I recall "Harry & Tonto" wasn't much of a movie.  I've never been able to get anyone on board with me about The Late Show's greatness.  I think part of the problem is that it doesn't fall into a distinct genre category  (by default: a comedy if you love it on the subtle side: I do) and the heist plot is a bit hard to follow.  I say: forget about the plot and watched these actors at the top of their game with these well-drawn out characters challenging their skills!   The best work of the aforementioned actors plus Joanna Cassidy and Eugene Roche.   Its only Oscar recognition: a well deserved screenplay nomination.  Lost to "Annie Hall"  (fair enough).  Writer Robert Benton would win a couple years later for Kramer v Kramer.   Sometimes you don't know how great an actor is until you see them in something like this.  I never much cared for "Maude" or Bill in it (too much YELLING).   I had the same reaction to Audra Lindley.  Her performance as Mrs. Roper was one-note, but that's the way it was written.  Then she played Burt Reynolds' mother in "Best Friends".  It's a supporting role but she stole the movie.  I couldn't believe it was the same woman. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Neil said:

Macy was 3rd billed --behind Art Carney and Lily Tomlin- in one of my all-time favorite movies "The Late Show" released in 1977.  It was up for and won several awards and the critics loved it but it was a major FLOP.    I loved it so much I saw it 4 times in one week (took several friends to it).   Save for a handful of other (non-laughing) people, the theater was vacant.  I'll check but Bill may have been up for an award himself.   Macy is great and it's the movie Art should have won his Oscar for.  This is IMO his best work.  As I recall "Harry & Tonto" wasn't much of a movie.  I've never been able to get anyone on board with me about The Late Show's greatness.  I think part of the problem is that it doesn't fall into a distinct genre category  (by default: a comedy if you love it on the subtle side: I do) and the heist plot is a bit hard to follow.  I say: forget about the plot and watched these actors at the top of their game with these well-drawn out characters challenging their skills!   The best work of the aforementioned actors plus Joanna Cassidy and Eugene Roche.   Its only Oscar recognition: a well deserved screenplay nomination.  Lost to "Annie Hall"  (fair enough).  Writer Robert Benton would win a couple years later for Kramer v Kramer.   Sometimes you don't know how great an actor is until you see them in something like this.  I never much cared for "Maude" or Bill in it (too much YELLING).   I had the same reaction to Audra Lindley.  Her performance as Mrs. Roper was one-note, but that's the way it was written.  Then she played Burt Reynolds' mother in "Best Friends".  It's a supporting role but she stole the movie.  I couldn't believe it was the same woman. 

The Late Show is a movie that has long been on my radar. If I ever find it streaming somewhere I’ll certainly check it out. It was hilighted by my very favorite movie reviewer (who also talked about Mame, a review that I believe has been shared here before):

https://lecinemadreams.blogspot.com/2017/04/the-late-show-1977.html?m=1

Re, Maude: It’s actually my favorite Norman Lear show, and I agree about the extreme yelling, although I enjoy it because it reminds me of my own family.

22 hours ago, Freddie2 said:

The Late Show is a movie that has long been on my radar. If I ever find it streaming somewhere I’ll certainly check it out. It was hilighted by my very favorite movie reviewer (who also talked about Mame, a review that I believe has been shared here before):

https://lecinemadreams.blogspot.com/2017/04/the-late-show-1977.html?m=1

Re, Maude: It’s actually my favorite Norman Lear show, and I agree about the extreme yelling, although I enjoy it because it reminds me of my own family.

This was a very well written insight into The Late Show.  There is not a wasted shot or line in TLS.   (And I apologize for going off topic) Art's Oscar worthy scene (among so many) is one where he has collapsed from a perforated ulcer attack in public.  Margo/Lily urges him to go to the hospital and Ira/Art screams "Do you know what it's like sitting in the veteran's hospital for 6 months with tubes and shit running every which-way?  I'll never let those butchers open me up again. NEVER!", the usually stoic Ira is on the verge of tears.  That's REAL acting. 

Had the movie made more of a splash at the BO, it would have garnered acting nomination (if not wins)  in every category: Art, Lily, Joanna Cassidy as the moral-less moll (the Double Indemnity Barbara Stanwyck of the 70s)  

AND Bill Macy as Charlie Hatter of "Charles S Hatter Productions" "Charles S Hatter Talent Agency" "Charles Hatter Theatricals" "CS Hatter Entertainment Corp. of America" and (of course) "Charles Hatter, Real Estate" all located UPSTAIRS at 203 1/2 Hollywood Blvd.   (That 1/2 is a great touch )  However he's been tending bar "just temporarily" , as he tells Ira because "the talent business is a little slow". 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

You never forget Michael J. Pollard after he makes an appearance somewhere. Somebody in “the biz” (can’t remember who) said that he once saw him on the street and told him what a fan he was. All that Pollard did was growl at him. “Unique” is an understatement! It’s very cool that until recently, Bonnie and Clyde, a movie more than a half-century old, still had all of its cast members alive and kicking (with Faye doing most of the kicking!), and all of them were Oscar nominated!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Freddie2 said:

You never forget Michael J. Pollard after he makes an appearance somewhere. Somebody in “the biz” (can’t remember who) said that he once saw him on the street and told him what a fan he was. All that Pollard did was growl at him. “Unique” is an understatement! It’s very cool that until recently, Bonnie and Clyde, a movie more than a half-century old, still had all of its cast members alive and kicking (with Faye doing most of the kicking!), and all of them were Oscar nominated!

There should've been a trippy spinoff showcasing Ted Mooney and Herbie Walton's adventures at the Hairy Ape, with futile efforts from wholesome brother Bob to set them straight before corrupting little Arnold, who's homemade buzzcut makes him look totally cool to all the apes. What a 60's time capsule that would've been!

Faye not only kicks, she hits!

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Buck Henry, writer of What's Up Doc?The GraduateGet Smart, and actor in the likes of 30 Rock, Murphy Brown, Hot in ClevelandGrumpy Old Men, Short Cuts and so many others has died at 89. When I first saw "Ginger Rogers Comes to Tea", I thought that the William Lanteau role was played by him.

17 hours ago, Freddie2 said:

Buck Henry, writer of What's Up Doc?The GraduateGet Smart, and actor in the likes of 30 Rock, Murphy Brown, Hot in ClevelandGrumpy Old Men, Short Cuts and so many others has died at 89. When I first saw "Ginger Rogers Comes to Tea", I thought that the William Lanteau role was played by him.

I first saw him as the snippy bureaucrat in Grumpy Old Men and always delighted whenever he popped up again. A groundbreaker in comedy.

• Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...