OTHER FAMOUS PEOPLE WHO DIED

C L A U D E

• 2 weeks later...

Diana Serra Cary, better known as the silent screen star “Baby Peggy,” has died at the age of 101. The documentary on her that aired on TCM a few years ago was very interesting. She was an extra in Having Wonderful Time after her fame faded. 

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/baby-peggy-dead-silent-film-star-was-101-831926

• Sad 1

25 minutes ago, HarryCarter said:

Diana Serra Cary, better known as the silent screen star “Baby Peggy,” has died at the age of 101. The documentary on her that aired on TCM a few years ago was very interesting. She was an extra in Having Wonderful Time after her fame faded. 

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/baby-peggy-dead-silent-film-star-was-101-831926

It's especially sad to consider that she must be the very last silent film star to pass away. The obituary doesn't mention that within the past couple of years she published a novel. There's also been an ongoing campaign to get her a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

27 minutes ago, Freddie2 said:

It's especially sad to consider that she must be the very last silent film star to pass away. The obituary doesn't mention that within the past couple of years she published a novel. There's also been an ongoing campaign to get her a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

90 years and one day ago, silent screen queen Mabel Normand died. Baby Peggy’s stardom ended six years before that!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, HarryCarter said:

She resided and passed away in my little berg of a hometown in the Central Valley.... I knew she was there but as far as I know, never met her. I need to read her autobiography because I still don't know what brought her to our (quite literally and figuratively!) little rural "cow town"!  😲😆😎

• 2 weeks later...

Lyle Waggoner, former Carol Burnett "sidekick" and founder of Star Waggons, a company that leases customized location trailers for use by the entertainment industry, has passed at age 84.

Kind of ironic as I thought of him the other night when attending a pilot taping at Warner Bros...I counted (lost count, actually) over 30 of these "Waggons", used for cast and crew trailers on lots all over LA, and thought, "Good for you, Lyle! KaCHING!!!: :HALKING:

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, JoeySoCal said:

Lyle Waggoner, former Carol Burnett "sidekick" and founder of Star Waggons, a company that leases customized location trailers for use by the entertainment industry, has passed at age 84.

Kind of ironic as I thought of him the other night when attending a pilot taping at Warner Bros...I counted (lost count, actually) over 30 of these "Waggons", used for cast and crew trailers on lots all over LA, and thought, "Good for you, Lyle! KaCHING!!!: :HALKING:

I always wondered why they were spelled that. I was only ever in one briefly. Drew Carey needed something faxed so I went to his trailer to get it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JoeySoCal said:

Of course the news is very sad, but I’m curious about a couple of things. How long ago was “the other night”? I’d assume at this point they’d stopped shooting shows with an audience. Also, could you give us a little scoop on what the pilot was about/who was in it? Just speaking as a sitcom nerd who is toiling away in self-isolation.

On 3/17/2020 at 2:08 PM, Freddie2 said:

Of course the news is very sad, but I’m curious about a couple of things. How long ago was “the other night”? I’d assume at this point they’d stopped shooting shows with an audience. Also, could you give us a little scoop on what the pilot was about/who was in it? Just speaking as a sitcom nerd who is toiling away in self-isolation.

Hey, Freddie! 

The pilot was shot at Warner Bros. Wednesday, March 11, 2020, right before everything really got "clamped down" or cancelled altogether; however, that same day, chatting with the audience "wrangler" folk (a couple of whom I knew from having gone to so many tapings over the years I've lived here) they weren't sure what was going to happen but that as of that date, more and more productions were cancelling either having audiences or shows or both. It was kinda "eerie" to check their website (tvtickets.com) to see what was a day or two before, shows going as usual (Dr. Phil; Raven's Home etc.) and half a dozen pilots (it's pilot season here in LA), including the one I attended.  Checked the site again just a couple days later and status of EVERYTHING is "Cancelled" (http://www.audiencesunlimited.com/changes.htm). And so it goes (or actually, doesn't) ......

"Silicon Valley" star Thomas Middleditch stars as the lead in "B Positive", a CBS multi-camera comedy pilot from the "Mom" team of Marco Pennette, Chuck Lorre and Warner Bros TV.

Written by Pennette, B Positive centers on Drew (Middleditch), a newly divorced dad faced with finding a kidney donor and who is at the end of his rope when he runs into Gina (Annaleigh Ashford), a rough-around-the edges woman from his high school past who volunteers her own. Together they form an unlikely bond and begin a journey that will change both of their lives.  In addition to Ashford, Middleditch joins previously cast Kether Donohue and Sara Rue in what is shaping up as one of the strongest comedy pilot ensembles assembled this season.  Pennette and Lorre executive produce. 

There's a "Lucy" connection of sorts:  Recently appearing in a small role in Lorre's "Mom", actor/artist/Carole Cook & Tom Troupe documentarian (https://www.facebook.com/CaroleandTom/) Mason McCulley has essentially a cameo role in a pre-taped montage in the pilot, yet he did appear in person show night and was included in the cast bows at the end of the taping. It was nice to see him in his element and I sincerely hope that should the pilot sell and go to series (which it should, what with a wonderful cast in Middleditch, Sara Rue and someone I'd never heard of before but she "was" the show, the hilarious Annaleigh Ashford), that Mason becomes recurring as he is very funny and talented and it would nice to see him in a regular "gig". 😎

Also, "Love Boat", "Bewitched" vet Bernie Koppell also appears in a cameo role as one of the old folks being driven to hospital treatments by senior citizen's van driver Gina (Ashford).

• Like 1

Very cool- especially Bernie Kopell and the Carole/Tom connection. I enjoy Middleditch but have only ever seen Sara Rue on the one season comeback show that Reba did with Lily Tomlin a few years back. I’m generally wary of Chuck Lorre shows but if it makes it to air I’ll give it a watch. It’s too bad they don’t air or stream unsold pilots like they used to. I’d love to see Carol Burnett’s show from a year or two ago.

• Like 1

Sarah Rue I believe was on a WB show called Popular back around 2000.

Annaleigh Ashford is a Broadway girl. Biggest role she's probably known for is in Kinky Boots but was also in the Sunday In The Park revival. On TV she was in Masters and Johnsson and The Assignation of Giani Versche.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Luvsbway said:

Sarah Rue I believe was on a WB show called Popular back around 2000.

Annaleigh Ashford is a Broadway girl. Biggest role she's probably known for is in Kinky Boots but was also in the Sunday In The Park revival. On TV she was in Masters and Johnsson and The Assignation of Giani Versche.

I'd never heard of her (seen M&J but not sure if any with her), at least not by name but if this thing "goes", she'll undoubtedly be the breakout star, she's that good!

Speaking of Broadway gals, Shelly did I tell you I got to see Joanna Gleason's show when it played here a few weeks ago?? AKA the night I got on the same elevator as Lily Tomlin and made a total fool of myself (not the first time, probably not the last!) :HALKING:

Rue, who plays Middleditch's ex-wife in this, co-starred with Reba and Lily Tomlin in the underrated "Malibu Country", which I (coincidentally) I also went to the pilot taping of that as well (gawd that was a looooooooong one!). Show was good, should have had as long a run as her predecessor IMHO but for some reason it just didn't "fly" ... and I wasn't in LA at the time but I heard about the Burnett pilot (produced by Amy Poehler) and told my "Gab guys" (Here's Lucy DVD producers) friends about it and they went and said it was good and were surprised when it didn't sell.....(although rumor hath it that what actually went down was that Carol decided at this point in her life -- she is over 80! -- she didn't want to do a weekly series...who knows?)

I wholeheartedly agree about the airing of unsold pilots thing, you'd think they would want to recoup some of their $$$, especially when there's such a need of product now with all the streaming services, and cable channels...

I kinda get the Chuck Lorre comment (given Two & A Half Men, etc.), yet the now-long running "Mom", which I enjoy, both Lorre and creator/writer Marco Pennette are involved did this and the script is good and the pilot was directed by sitcom vet/legend Jimmy Burrows (Cheers, Frasier, every single episode of Will & Grace -- both iterations, and many other "classics"), so with that said and an excellent cast, it has a great "pedigree" and hopefully a very good chance at going to series.  I certainly hope so! :HALKING:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...