Lucy's Rings

Luvsbway

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I’ve solved the mystery of the original weddings rings. Last night I got the Lucy/Desi CD-Rom from the late 90’s up and running again on my computer. That took time to figure out all the settings I needed to revert my computer back to 1998.

So I came across a picture that was taken I believe sometime after Lucy/Desi got married and were on their way back to CA. The photo is of a newsman admiring Lucy’s wedding ring and Desi sitting beside her. The caption mentions something to the effect “Mr… admires Lucille’s dime store ring as well as her actual ring bought later.” So this solves the mystery that sometime after the hurried wedding and before they got back to CA, Lucy and Desi probably went ring shopping for their real wedding rings. I’m thinking they were probably bought in NYC before they left on the Super Chief to head west.

I’ve solved the mystery of the original weddings rings. Last night I got the Lucy/Desi CD-Rom from the late 90’s up and running again on my computer. That took time to figure out all the settings I needed to revert my computer back to 1998.

So I came across a picture that was taken I believe sometime after Lucy/Desi got married and were on their way back to CA. The photo is of a newsman admiring Lucy’s wedding ring and Desi sitting beside her. The caption mentions something to the effect “Mr… admires Lucille’s dime store ring as well as her actual ring bought later.” So this solves the mystery that sometime after the hurried wedding and before they got back to CA, Lucy and Desi probably went ring shopping for their real wedding rings. I’m thinking they were probably bought in NYC before they left on the Super Chief to head west.

Lucy's been quoted as just saying Desi had it covered in platinum.

I like Lucy's big, blingy rings, especially the large blue one with the diamonds around it (that is on the Here's Lucy #6 cover).

Luvsbway, thanks for mentioning Viv's wedding ring. I've watched for it since & it is really classy looking. The blue band (sapphire?) looks so nice against the silver color.

• 4 weeks later...

I wanted to bring up another piece of jewelry fascination I have been noticing lately across the decades with Lucy. She always wore a watch. Very pretty watches too. I have noticed this in movies, TV, photo shoots. The Here’s Lucy episode Lucy the Conclusion Jumper (or something like that) from Season 1, the watch Lucy wears has a face large enough that you are able to see the time on it. When watching this episode once I made an effort to keep an eye on her watch through-out the whole episode. You can literally tell how long it takes to film the show by looking at the time on her watch. There is a scene in the office that I believe clocks in at somewhere between 15-20 mins. The whole show I believe comes in under an hour. Very fascinating as you can see how long it was between each scene as well.

I wanted to bring up another piece of jewelry fascination I have been noticing lately across the decades with Lucy. She always wore a watch. Very pretty watches too. I have noticed this in movies, TV, photo shoots. The Here’s Lucy episode Lucy the Conclusion Jumper (or something like that) from Season 1, the watch Lucy wears has a face large enough that you are able to see the time on it. When watching this episode once I made an effort to keep an eye on her watch through-out the whole episode. You can literally tell how long it takes to film the show by looking at the time on her watch. There is a scene in the office that I believe clocks in at somewhere between 15-20 mins. The whole show I believe comes in under an hour. Very fascinating as you can see how long it was between each scene as well.

O M G , what the frig do you use to watch the show? A magnafying glass perhaps?

Very good quality DVD'S and a 45" HDTV. And I sit really close.

LOL! Yesterday, i went to a friend's house for a viewing of one of my all time favorite films, TITANIC, but in 3 D, it was awesome all right, at least a 50 inch set and surround sound and all that but what impressed me the most, watching the film, the characters' clothes were so infinitely detailed. I can now see what you and Joey have been talking about, he's right about Blu Ray and YOU're right about the detail work in their clothes, i had seen Frances Fisher and Kate Winslet ten times at least, but never with detail like this, not only do you see the buttons on their clothes, but you see the button holes, the richness of color, the creases, bands, various accoutrements on the clothes themselves and the jewellery, again, in so much detail you think you're looking through one of those diamond merchants eye things.

• 1 month later...

To be possitive I need to watch it, but my best guess based on the time frame, is it's a copy made to look like the original aquamarine one. I start noticing it around the Hollywood episodes. The original according to Lucy's book was stolen, so if you see it on the show it's a copy.

To be possitive I need to watch it, but my best guess based on the time frame, is it's a copy made to look like the original aquamarine one. I start noticing it around the Hollywood episodes. The original according to Lucy's book was stolen, so if you see it on the show it's a copy.

Yeah, i knew i had seen or noticed it earlier, so it was the Hollywood eps as you say. What's the story on the ring, Desi gave it to her, it's a huge diamond? But it isn't her wedding ring per se, as that was a simple platinum band covering the Woolworth`s cheap one.

Here's what I have been able to piece together. The woolsworth ring was temporary and before they headed east bought real wedding rings. The aquamarine ring (that big looking one) first shows up in 41. Lucy wears it in Look Who's Laughing and then tons more places in the 40s. In her book she called it her engagment ring. Both their books mention wedding rings in relation to the 49 wedding but I can't put a full story together.

The end of the marriage/ Wildcat Desi ring story is also such a poienent story.

Here's what I have been able to piece together. The woolsworth ring was temporary and before they headed east bought real wedding rings. The aquamarine ring (that big looking one) first shows up in 41. Lucy wears it in Look Who's Laughing and then tons more places in the 40s. In her book she called it her engagment ring. Both their books mention wedding rings in relation to the 49 wedding but I can't put a full story together.

The end of the marriage/ Wildcat Desi ring story is also such a poienent story.

I always heard he had the cheap WOOLWORTH wedding ring which was all they could find on the wedding day, was later covered in platinum as she would never give it up. Seeing as he could not do anything with that one, he gave her a huge diamond and they called it an engagement ring i guess. Yes, Desi losing HIS wedding ring in the surf in Hawaii and then having it found by that couple who took it to her while she was doing Wildcat was indeed a great story, thank God for the inscription which told them whose it was.

• 5 months later...

I'm gathering some pics for 3 rings I was going to talk about in relation to Gary and ended up coming across a fourth.

Here is a link to the following ring being sold at auction in 2010 for $32,200 with partial proceeds going to the museum.

http://www.christies...90-details.aspx

A CABOCHON STAR SAPPHIRE AND DIAMOND RING

Set with a cabochon star sapphire within a two-tiered marquise-cut diamond surround, mounted in platinum, (ring hoop detachable)

Here are pics of Lucy wearing it. It looks to photograph darker and seems more oval like, but I'm pretty sure this is it.

r4.jpg

ring6.jpg

blue.jpg

r7.jpg

I'm gathering some pics for 3 rings I was going to talk about in relation to Gary and ended up coming across a fourth.

Here is a link to the following ring being sold at auction in 2010 for $32,200 with partial proceeds going to the museum.

http://www.christies...90-details.aspx

A CABOCHON STAR SAPPHIRE AND DIAMOND RING

Set with a cabochon star sapphire within a two-tiered marquise-cut diamond surround, mounted in platinum, (ring hoop detachable)

Here are pics of Lucy wearing it. It looks to photograph darker and seems more oval like, but I'm pretty sure this is it.

r4.jpg

ring6.jpg

blue.jpg

r7.jpg

Now THAT one I always knew about and loved it like YOU love the other one. Bought my mom a similar looking but not as valuable one of course.

So I've come to the conclusion that her first wedding/engagement ring is the gold diamond cluster ring with what looks like a pearl on the top. Kind of looks like a flower. It's the earliest ring I can find with Gary. Also it is worn on her and Gary's wedding day and found mostly on her left hand.

Here's a close up, but worn on the pinky, which is odd.

422201_10151307653032802_1029304251_n_zpscb85ce54.jpg

alfred-eisenstaedt-comedian-gary-morton-with-his-wife-lucille-ball-2_zpsb205768b.jpg

alfred-eisenstaedt-comedian-gary-morton-with-his-wife-lucille-ball_zpsa817c2c4.jpg

3935784384_7d19b482ff_o_zpsfd801b92.jpg

Henry just posted a new Lucy video on his art blog of Lucy on Johnny Carson in November '69 I believe. Lucy shows Johnny a ring she just recently received from Gary as an anniversary gift. It looks like the one in the above photos Shelly posted, but this doesn't make sense with the dates of these photos. Hmm...

Archived