Lucy's Movie Clothes

Luvsbway

Currently watching The Facts of Life. The moment she walks into the restaurant to meet Hope, it's like a "AHH" moment for me. Her dangly earrings, that floral dress with the full skirt, the sheer overcoat. She looks stunning. Plus her hair in this film looks great. Very different.

This film is very much a transition for me. From the ILL era to the new. The eyebrows more arched but still thin looking, the hair went from tight curls to know flowing more natural.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Am I correct that she transitions back asnd forth from a wig to her own hair throughout this? At times it matches the hair from the last LDCH.

You are so right as this being her transition piece. By Critics Choice 60s Lucy has arrived.

I believe you are correct. When it's down it is all hers. But of course with it all up and set it's a wig. It is basically the same hair as Lucy Meets the Moustache.

She really wore out that famous wig in Critic's Choice, the one where she's photographed a LOT, it had a LOOK about it that you recognized it immediately whenever you saw it.

Oh yes. She also wore it a few times the first season of TLS too. Personally, that's my least favorite wig of the 60's. I think it's the whole curls going onto the other side of the head with the curls going up. Plus her bangs were very short.

She looks fine in it, but I just very much dislike the styling of it.

Just saw her in her blue wedding outfit (from marrying gary) in the show where she imitates a ventriloquist's dummy.  My God, the combo of the gorgeous blue outfit and her beautiful red hair was just mesmerizing.  That's the hair I remember from The Lucy show, don't remember her wearing the OTHER wig you just talked about.

The wedding dress doesn't have buttons visible until under her bust. I don't remember with the Yours Mine and Ours right now. But to my understanding they have identical patterns, color, and style.

Just watched the wedding scene. You are correct about the buttons. I wonder if it is the dress altered. But for some reason I cannot see Lucy doing that to her wedding gown. But the fabric is identical.

The wedding dress I know was bought at Bergdorf Goodman. For awhile I thought they were the same too, but the on screen version is more like a long coat and the wedding is a suit. At one point at the reception she took off the jacket and is left with a sleeveless outfit.

I can not get a great shot of the dress in YMO. Here are a few.

87.jpg

65.jpg

card.jpg

Notice the one card where she has the jacket off.  It's short sleeve.  The coat is long and gaps open in the front.

Here are the wedding photos.

hu4.jpg

Note the buttons.

hu3.jpg

See how it is short sleeve once she has it off in the photo on the bottom right.

album2.jpg

I watched the wedding scene the day after I posted, I noticed that the overcoat is more straight whereas the Morton wedding dress is a bit fuller. I'm just amazed at how identical the fabric of the overcoat is.

But I must say I never really liked the Morton wedding dress. Great color but not a fan of the style.

• 3 months later...

Me too, this was probably one of the most feminine pieces she wears, that and the white dress with the gold belt? I think those are just stunning on her. She had an awesome figure! I guess you understand why so many women complimented her back then on her figure, because she showed it off in MAME :)

I agree with you on her figure. It’s amazing to look at her each decade because it seems to change. The 30’s she was really thin, I think too thin. You really notice it in the mid 30’s with those long gowns. By the 40’s she hits what I think was perfect for her. A little more filled out but in great shape and those MGM gowns were the perfect compliment. As Lucy once told Merv Griffin she was either having a kid or getting over having one so I think she thought she was a little plump in the 50’s. Those big poofed out dresses of that decade also add to that.

She lost a lot of weight doing Wildcat and I think it was an unhealthy low. Compare her in Facts of Life to the Ed Sullivan Wildcat performance. These are less than a year apart and you can see the weight loss. I think she looked good in the 60’s but bordered a bit on being just a bit too thin. You start to notice during the later episodes of Here’s Lucy she started to put some of that weight back on. I think Mame got her in really good shape and to a good weight for her as is evident in those gowns. The thing that sucks about the 70’s was those big caftans were very popular and she wore a lot of those on and off screen. She always had a great shape and I hated her hiding it this decade. Probably another reason why I like those Mame costumes.

By the 80’s it was pants suits or billowy gowns with way too much fabric. That’s why I like that dress from the TV Hall of Fame, it gave her a waist. It was just a great dress overall.

What I got to thinking about recently was why she wore so many pants suits in the 80s. I’ve come to 2 conclusions. First they were really popular and I think this was probably the first decade as a whole when it was 100% accepted to see women in pants. Second I think Lucy was just more comfortable in pants. I didn’t realize this until I started looking at decades worth of candid pictures. There are many shots of her on movie sets and if she is out of costume it is fairly common to see her in pants. Same with behind the scenes shots I have seen of ILL, LS and HL, they are of her generally in pants if not in costume. ILL behind the scenes candid shots also interest me as she seemed really casual in these, shorts, hair up, little to no makeup. In Stage Door they used a lot of the actor’s real personalities/life to fill out characters. If you notice Lucy wears pants for most of this film. Only time she has a dress on is when she is leaving the house. A rule breaker in the 30s. I’ve also noticed in the 70’s and 80’s she heavily wears pants on talk shows and even in LWL we only get her in a dress twice I believe.

I know they site Laura Petrie and her capri pants as being a trend setter. What I find interesting though is Lucy Ricardo wore a ton of pants. I would be curious if we took an inventory of how many episodes she wore pants in I think we would end up with a high number. I know when I did my episode by episode watching pants really were worn a lot in the 6th season and throughout the Comedy Hour episodes. I think it was the casualness of the country life. By the time you get to TLS she always seemed to wear pants at home.

I know they site Laura Petrie and her capri pants as being a trend setter. What I find interesting though is Lucy Ricardo wore a ton of pants. I would be curious if we took an inventory of how many episodes she wore pants in I think we would end up with a high number. I know when I did my episode by episode watching pants really were worn a lot in the 6th season and throughout the Comedy Hour episodes. I think it was the casualness of the country life. By the time you get to TLS she always seemed to wear pants at home.

You are SOOO Right!! I think TLS was a very unique period for her image on TV.  By 1960 The Lucy Ricardo character was a "wear a skirt when going out"

put on pants in the house kind of girl-and I think that had a lot to do with the format change. She was riding horses, fighting bulls and riding the slopes lol

Its pretty hard to climb a crane in a dress lol -so I think she did wear a dress when going out, and then pants at home.

By the time 62 came around- they  approached Lucy Carmichael they way they would Ricardo. Normal make up, teased hair- lounged paints and a cute top. 

But the fashion trend was changing, poofy lounge dresses  and pants were being traded for skirts, or full skirts with basic cuts- and,the hem line came up lol

What use to go to Lucy Ricardo's ankle, now went to the back of Mrs Carmichael's knee! lol  

I think they took the Carmichael character and glamorized her around seasons 2,3,4- wardrobe was taking her out of the pants for the majority of the time putting her in a nice skirt and top.

If they did put her in pants, they were usually the svelte streched kind that showed some shape to her legs- not to mention the heavy make up. 

But you are so right- the pants were a norm. What about Heres Lucy? I dont remember her wearing those "working" plain black tight like pants. 

Archived