Lucy's TV Clothes

Luvsbway

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This fascinates me Luvsbway. Here she is, at the most successful point in her career, she can wear anything she wants once and explore new fashions, new looks, and yet, here she is  holding on to a blouse used on the show from years back? OR if it belonged to some one in the family- who thought it was a good idea to add this to the wardrobe for the show? I guess it's true, Lucy was very practical. I often think about this when seeing her in the 80s- She's a millionaire and you literally see her in the same gowns and dresses at a lot of events- I guess she loved getting "her monies worth" out of something. 

Very true. She wore things over and over again until they literally fell apart, however she took really good care of her clothing. This is why they look as good today as they did when she originally wore them. Only thing I can't understand is what happened to the dresses from the 50's. I know she gave some away but I'm surprised she didn't keep any of them or the fact that they have not surfaced after all these years. How amazing would it be to see the LA At Last number, or the Vita dress or that gorgeous high collar one with the floral design on the bodice! 

I think it was also a good "business strategy." By that I mean the public saw her the same way on an off screen. It wasn't like she portrayed a doting house wife or Plain Jane on TV then in public she became a Hollywood heiress who walked on rose petals. To most people she was one in the same because she stayed true to herself and kept that appearance. 

In addition, keeping her real first name as her character name in each series was extremely smart. I think this helped people identify and in some ways brand her with just those four letters. There's a reason why you say 'Lucy' to someone and nine times out of ten they'll think of the redhead. 

I wonder if her peers wore their wardrobe OFTEN in public?? I wonder if Orry Kelly made some double duty Bette Davis gowns?? I'm sure Joan Crawford rarely double dutied HER wardrobe (which is why Christina inherited ZILCH LOL.. ) Barbara Stanwyk? Liz Taylor? Some may have reused certain outfits.. I mean why throw money away on clothes which is why I always look like I slept under a bridge lol.

And.. how many fancy schmanzy gowns do you need? Lucy probably figured.. "Hell since it's me they will probably be giving me awards till I kick so I'm not gonna throw my hard earned cash on a stupid dress.. I have to give Gary some car or golf money".

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Apropos of nothing, while watching Lucy, The Undercover Agent this evening I couldn't help but think how fantastic Lucy looked in the grey and red suit she was rocking in the opening scene. She looked amazing. It's a shame she didn't try out that shade of red more often.

• 1 year later...
On 7/14/2016 at 7:17 AM, Brock said:

Where is this? For sale? The home-brand rice crispies in the background add a certain ambiance.

Ugh! Still irks me that they made this WUNDAFUL costume GREEN on the cover of the DVD box of "The Lucy Show: The Complete Series" which, of course, is otherwise highly recommended!!  What were the nitwits thinking?? I don't get why we have to "reimagine" everything??! :vanda:

Archived