Lucy's TV Clothes

Luvsbway

I have to go back and double check that dress against the Ed Sullivan show. There is a picture floating around from that Sullivan tribute that shows it off full length (I believe) and is way crisper looking than that actual tribute is. I don’t think I have the photo though. I’ll look when I get to my computer at home.

In the recent Drier collection auction book that was posted here there is a sketch of that dress up for auction. If I remember correctly it says the dress was originally one color but ended up being white. I agree that it was a beautiful, full skirted dress and wish it was worn more than once on the show.

I agree with you that I wish that Sullivan tribute was much clearer considering how great both of their speeches were at the end and how clearly emotional both of them were.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to go back and double check that dress against the Ed Sullivan show. There is a picture floating around from that Sullivan tribute that shows it off full length (I believe) and is way crisper looking than that actual tribute is. I don’t think I have the photo though. I’ll look when I get to my computer at home.

In the recent Drier collection auction book that was posted here there is a sketch of that dress up for auction. If I remember correctly it says the dress was originally one color but ended up being white. I agree that it was a beautiful, full skirted dress and wish it was worn more than once on the show.

I agree with you that I wish that Sullivan tribute was much clearer considering how great both of their speeches were at the end and how clearly emotional both of them were.

She has this tiny shawl type thing on top tied to the dress and on the show, it comes off as two shades so it HAS to be colored. But on Sullivan's show, it did look white. Like the way she was always looking to save money, if she wore it on the series or even on the tribute, it's tax deductible, LOL! My point of course is that the picture is so damned clear now on the new copies that you can see everything, I didn't even notice any detail work on that bad kinescope.

This should answer your question.

dress.jpg

From the auction:

Sketch features a black and rose ball gown with a strapless bodice and flowing chiffon skirt. This design was worn in the episode: “Lucy’s Club Dance” although the ultimate version was white

sullivan1.jpg

sullivan2.jpg

I would wear dozens of Lucy's dresses & outfits, even today. Some of Viv's dressier clothes were pretty, too. I especially love Lucy Ricardo's white dress with the flowers all over the torso. I could see that in pastel colors OR fall colors. Just beautiful. I like the way she pushes up the sleeves on lots of her tops & dresses to 3/4 length.

The dress she wears that has the flowers which beautifully accentuate her waistline is actually worn by her in the film Forever Darling--and it was actually a lime greenish color! I always thought it was white, too! This is one of my favorite pieces of clothing due to the sophistication of the piece. I love its elegance, high collar, and the way it accentuates her figure. I also think it's interesting to note its alterations in various episodes to be worn as a full-length dress, a mid-calf dress or to be worn with a pantsuit.

dress.jpg

From the auction:

Sketch features a black and rose ball gown with a strapless bodice and flowing chiffon skirt. This design was worn in the episode: “Lucy’s Club Dance” although the ultimate version was white

sullivan1.jpg

sullivan2.jpg

Ok, so that's not a veil THING, but part of the dress, sorry, being a man, I never know these terms. But can't you see it looks like two shades there? Unless it's bright white and off white, LOL!

dress.jpg

From the auction:

sullivan1.jpg

sullivan2.jpg

Viv's, by contrast, looks awful, elegant but still looks like something you'd wear to the beach. As a matter of fact, didn't Viv wear that next to the pool in the Rock Hudson episode?

dress.jpg

From the auction:

sullivan1.jpg

sullivan2.jpg

Why do the sketches ALWAYS look so much better than the actual dresses? I think, without a doubt that THIS is the loveliest, movie star type gown Lucy ever wore on the series.

For that little bit and just for the woman's club show super elegant. Right up there with Hollywood Anniversary/Monoco.

Oh yeah, I LOVE the one for the anniversary, it had a nice silk type WRAP for it also. And let's not forget the Vancing with Dan Johnson one.

Just read somewhere that this lady was saying that even though Lucy's clothes here were from the dowdy fifties, she'd wear many of her outfits today as some really stand the test of time. I agree, HER fashions were really elegant and advanced for the fifties.

Hi, ilovelucytoo -- I only watched Forever Darling once & don't remember seeing that cute dress I liked so much on Lucy Ricardo. It's green?? Maybe that's why I didn't make the connection :-). I'll have to go back & look for it -- it will be fun to see it in color. Thanks for letting me know!

PS -- Viv is wearing her sunburst pin again in the group photo with Ed :-)

Looked at Rickee's great Paper Dolls book again today, seeing as we keep talking about her tv clothes. Great book and it's so great to see these beautiful outfits in glorious color. Although I have to say two of them looked even better in black and white, it's a shock sometimes when you see something one way for fifty years or more and then you see the way it actually was and it's a real surprise.

Ever since that starburst pin got pointed out I've been on the lookout for it. Wonder if it has a story.

Yeah, story goes the STAR wore it when she first BURST onto the entertainment scene. Seriously though, check out that Lucie version of Hey Look Me Over, she wears something similar at about the same place too, maybe Viv left it to her in her will.

• 2 months later...

Ok, first there was that time I saw Ethel`s two piece outfit worn by a fellow cast member, maybe when they came back from Europe.  Now, last night, while watching Country Club Dance, I see Lucy`s gorgeous dress, the one with the pleats, evening gown type but short, worn by I think Hazel at two different occasions, the one where they flirt with Miss Eden and the one where they go pick up their hubbies at 2am, when Lucy`s TIGHT dress rips in the back, one of the two women she bumped into is wearing that dress.  I had previously noticed it in the dancing scene first, this is not a dress for a background shot, as we all remember when Lucy wore it so well.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Archived