That Wildcat Gal

Brock

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You could have hidden under her dress!! Look at that thing! :lucyhorror:

Yes, gaudy as hell, then again, Debbie Reynolds was wearing something similar in her show Molly Brown. At first, I thought the top part looked like that flashy black number Lucy kept wearing on shows and at the Debbie Reynolds charity bash she attended every year.

This is what ive been saying the past few days. Why didn't she marry another talent like Desi? Why Morton? Why? :gary:

Morton was the rebound guy. Perhaps she felt she couldn't land another man and just settled for him? Kinda like what my mom did with my stepdad. She married him just 13 months after my dad died.

It's supposed to be gaudy. In the show, Wildcat tries to act like a lady and shows up at a fiesta wearing this over the top outfit and makes a fool of herself.

Yes, dear boy, I am fully aware of that, look at that thing and tell me how anybody could look at that and think a fashion designer did not fully intend to shock with it's gaudy look.

This is what ive been saying the past few days. Why didn't she marry another talent like Desi? Why Morton? Why? :gary:

He was her TYPE, handsome/ugly she'd call it, he wasn't impressed by her stature and superstars love it when they find someone who doesn't treat them like a Queen, ask Streisand. So, she had to feel superior to him talentwise and she loved to control anybody being a LEO, and as if all that wasn't enough, he would do whatever she said, work hard and be a yes man, boring as hell, never embarrass her publicly.

• 2 months later...

Claude, I believe Lucille underestimated what stamina was needed to give her character life eight performances a week. I believe she dropped alot of.weight and had oxyegen in the stage wings to keep her going ..not to mention shots of vitamin B.. Broadway is much harder than weekly.television I would think. Now if I could just get signed for a.stage musical and drop.weight!

Claude, I believe Lucille underestimated what stamina was needed to give her character life eight performances a week. I believe she dropped alot of.weight and had oxyegen in the stage wings to keep her going ..not to mention shots of vitamin B.. Broadway is much harder than weekly.television I would think. Now if I could just get signed for a.stage musical and drop.weight!

It wasn't just that, she had boundless energy her whole life. But this was right after the divorce, she had lost her arena, on television where she felt comfortable and now doing something unknown to her, a draining musical and we all know how she always felt inadequate doing singing and dancing numbers.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I was listening to Siruis On Broadway today (like I do everyday) and they sometimes play exclusive tracks performers do in the studio.  Well I look at my radio and see “Hey Look Me Over” scrolling across but it sounds nothing like the Lucy version.  Turns out it is a totally new arrangement.  Bight and upbeat but very different sounding.  Then I see who is singing it scroll over and it’s Rachel York.  She did a wonderful job with it, very belty and fast paced.  Oh the irony of having an actress sing a song so closely identified with an actress she portrayed in a TV Movie.  I got to thinking that would have been great if the Lucy movie would have not ended in 1960, but continued into the Wildcat time, but then Rachel would have had to sing it Lucy style.

I don’t hear this song done too often, but I smile when it is.  Lucie has done a very slow version of this that I’m sure she sang at one of the festivals before.  I think it is still on You Tube.  My favorite version hands down was a version of this Lucie and Kate did at the Cy Coleman Tribute Concert shortly after his death.  I had seen photos of them singing at the event but the song got played at one of the festivals Lucie was at back in the mid 2000s.  I was mesmerized, as I never heard Kate sing before but also how it was not only a great tribute to Cy but how perfect a tribute it was to Lucy with daughter and granddaughter doing such a wonderful job on it.

• 1 month later...

Archived