Here's Lucy -- Season Six -- Reviews and First Impressions!

Man you're good at this sort of thing. Great review, great comments. I forget which star said they saw Lucy and her family one time at Disneyland. So true about the jerk and The Lucy Book, i love it as a reference book but he is so far off on some things. One can tell when reading anything you post how much INNER knowledge you have of the whole LUCY saga. I dunno why Lucy was so secretive about her past affairs, guess it didn't fit her General Foods image or something.

Yeah, it almost looked like she wanted Zsa Zsa to shut up about that Sanders stuff, trying to change the subject and whatnot. I think they totally banged LOL. Lucy said she and Sanders were just "charades" partners and "very good friends, that's it." Uh huh.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't think that was all she would mention was George Sanders. She really played that up while it seemed like Lucy was desperately trying to down play it. Makes me wonder if there was really something between them. The only other person I recall seeing mention George was Herbie, but we all know how much he liked to trash Lucy.

Take a look at the look Lucy is shooting Viv and Dede in my avatar right after Zsa Zsa mentioned she picked up the spare phone when George was talking to Lucy (and Viv's nudge). IMO, it's the look of something the three ladies had discussed and joked about plenty of times in the past.

Yeah, it almost looked like she wanted Zsa Zsa to shut up about that Sanders stuff, trying to change the subject and whatnot. I think they totally banged LOL. Lucy said she and Sanders were just "charades" partners and "very good friends, that's it." Uh huh.

Exactly, like she didn't want to admit that all of Hollywood has these affairs all the time, especially back then. Like Humphry Bogart once said, after surveying the gorgeous crowd of celebs at some Hollywood party . . .NO WONDER THEY ALL **CK EACH OTHER ALL THE TIME!

Take a look at the look Lucy is shooting Viv and Dede in my avatar right after Zsa Zsa mentioned she picked up the spare phone when George was talking to Lucy (and Viv's nudge). IMO, it's the look of something the three ladies had discussed and joked about plenty of times in the past.

I was wondering what that LOOK was all about, thanks for SPLAINING!

Do you really think that she wanted anything like that discussed in front of her daughter. Lucie's old enough to know that movie was going on when her parents were married.

Lucie was 24 at the time and probably had no illusions about her parents' affairs during their early marriage, both sides. She and her brother probably heard it time and again.

Do you really think that she wanted anything like that discussed in front of her daughter. Lucie's old enough to know that movie was going on when her parents were married.

I dun't thin she was too concerned about that, at her age, she'd already been around the block quite a few times herself.

Got it! Quickest I've ever recieved a set since season 1 when I ordered it for next day delivery. LOL. I liked the Milton Bradley commercial with "Solotaire" and the mini golf game. Why did she say it would be awhile before those commercials would be seen? Was this specifically for the company? And I LOVED the Disneyland home movies. I really wish my grandparents had that good of a color movie camera. Theirs was black and white and it had a really bright light which darkened everything else around it. They got a good one in the late 70s but I only found 1 little 3 minute reel of film and when I got it transferred it wasn't that exciting of footage. Anyway, wouldn't it have been SO cool to be on the Mad Tea Party with Lucy? I can't imagine what the people riding next to her were thinking.

Which episode is it where Lucy and a bunch of other people are in their pajamas in a bedroom playing charades, and Lucy (I think) breaks a window? I saw this clip on the syndication sales tape. It's one of the episodes where Lucy has her short wig, and it's definitely from this season because I've never seen it before.

Which episode is it where Lucy and a bunch of other people are in their pajamas in a bedroom playing charades, and Lucy (I think) breaks a window? I saw this clip on the syndication sales tape. It's one of the episodes where Lucy has her short wig, and it's definitely from this season because I've never seen it before.

Lucy and Joan Rivers Do Jury Duty.

Well, let's be honest, George and Lucy did get married so what do you expect?! :lucyhaha:

Brock: Please don't take this the wrong way - it's simply just something I noticed but how come you didn't do a cover photo for the release of Here's Lucy Season 6? Cheers, Miki :)

I'd hate for Lucy's 12 Days of Christmas to have to end mid-January with a disruption. ;) There will be HL banners in the New Year.

I watched a couple more episodes last night. Most of these I had seen before but not in a long time.

Lucy and Joan Rivers Do Jury Duty

Pretty good episode. Lucy and Joan work well together. I liked when they are all going around the jury room and they get to Lucy’s answers, how she delivers her Yes and No are great. Loved the part where Harry was in the hotel room and asks Lucy why she was the hold out. Brilliant delivery.

Lucy and Andy Griffith

Pretty much a Lucie episode here, although she does get to show some good acting. It’s amazing how much she grew on this show. I could do without the music in this one and it does come off as a little preachy.

Lucy and Danny Thomas

One of my favorites of the whole series. I had seen this one before and really liked it on first viewing. Seeing it again and in its gorgeous restored state I still maintain that this is a top ranked one for me. Anytime Lucy gets to work with someone she really likes the chemistry really makes an episode soar. You can tell Lucy really liked Danny, look at them as they walk off at the end of the episode. The dress Lucy wears while Danny is painting her is very pretty. I wish she wore more of these types of dresses and not the caftans. She had a nice figure and the dress hears gives her some shape. Those caftans were just a giant tent, but apparently they were big at the time. As Sondheim writes about the Ladies Who Lunch “lounging in their caftans and planning a brunch”.

Lucy Meets Frankie Avalon

When Frankie guest stars Lucy really gives him the whole episode. I remember in the Lucy Show episode where he guested, I was getting a little bored and wanted Lucy back. Lucie does do a good Cher and wow, she had a good looking body. It’s funny how many Cher and Lucy related things I was thinking of last night. Cher’s mom was in the Paris Gown episode of ILL as one of the models. Lucy guested on a Cher special. Cher is a Lucy fan. She was on a night of stars picking their favorite films on TCM a few months ago and picked The Big Street and talked about how good Lucy’s performance in it was. Cher was in the movie The Witches of Eastwick. This became a musical that Lucie did in London. She played the Cher role from the film.

Interesting observation from this episode is Lucy inferring that you can’t just do a Cher impersonation, you need Sonny. Well hundreds of drag queens now days will tell you otherwise but this brings up an interesting point. Sonny and Cher were a team with their music career and then got their own variety show. They frequently had their daughter (now Chaz) on the show and looked like a happy couple. Then they got divorced. The funny putdowns that were there before they split, did not work so well when they tried to do the show after they were divorced. They may have eventually went their separate ways and achieved their own career success, but if you saw Cher give the eulogy at Sonny’s funeral you can tell she always loved him.

The point I am getting at is this parallels Lucy’s story a little. Think if you were to do a Lucy impression in the 50’s and not have a Ricky for her. It really would not work as well. They had a happy onscreen life, but real life ended in divorce, but you know they never stopped loving each other. Lucy like Cher continued on and made a legendary career for herself. You would think I’m a Cher fan from all this but in reality I don’t know all that much about her. I do think she is a one badass broad though.

Lucy and Chuck Conners have a Sleepover (or something like that)

I forget the name of the gentlemen who did the introduction for this episode but I loved his story. He caught on very fast to how Lucy worked and he knew what to do. You work hard and do your job, Lucy will like you as evidenced buy her taking the time out after the show to thank him for his performance. It’s like we were discussing on here recently. The Lucy was difficult to work with, Lucy was a bitch, etc… were from actors who didn’t show up and give it their all. Those that did Lucy rewarded and stayed loyal too. This actor knew how dedicated she was to her craft and he took that cue.

As for the episode itself this was good. I don’t think I’ve seen anything Chuck Conners was in but that is one big guy. Cute ending with him and Lucy. Good pacing to the whole episode and great physical comedy in the bedroom scene.

Lucy the Peacemaker

Edie Gorme is one spunky chic. I think this episode with other actors in the roles would not have been as good. Edie really helps this episode along.

I watched the Dinah! episode again. What is Viv trying to say when she first sits down, did she have some sort of robbery at her house? I still can’t figure out what type of painting Lucy is referring to. I’m probably spelling the word wrong but Google is turning up some odd hits. Watched Zsa Zsa and her Sanders story again. My gosh Lucy is quick to jump on that. I think if they were just costars/charade partners she wouldn’t have tried to shut that down so much. Also take note of Lucie here. She turns and looks at Zsa Zsa with a look that says “Oh tell me more. Mom never mentioned this.”

Another great post luv, your comments and general analysis remind me of Neil lately. Chuck Connors was the star of a major western series at one time. Everything you said about the Andy Griffith one rings true, so preachy and dull without Lucy. Lucy adored Frankie Avalon and we all know how she was when she loved someone, so she gave him the show. Brilliant, what you said about her working with people who were prepared and did a great job as opposedt o the ones who just phoned it in. Great comparison in the Lucy/Cher area. Yes, i think we can safely add George Sanders to Lucy's many loves during her lifetime.

Lucy mentions some sort of painting she prayed her kids would look like and a picture that Viv gave her that made the kids look like this. What was the name/type of the painting? Also I take it that they showed this picture earlier in the show but that was part of the cut segment. Would anyone know if we have ever seen this picture (that Viv gave)?

Lucy said she prayed in front of a painting done by Calogero, who was her favorite artist. Earlier in the show, Lucie showed some of her favorite family pictures. One of them was her at about a year old wearing a big hat and a fur and she remarked, "Mom wants me to dress like that today!" Viv must have had an oil painting done of Lucie in a similar outfit, along with one of Desi Jr.

So far I've watched

"Lucy & Chuck Connors"

"Tipsy Through the Tulips"

"Lucy Plays Cops and Robbers"

"The Bow Wow Boutique"

"Eddie Albert"

I had already seen Chuck. It was pretty good. I forgot about the ending though.

Cops and Robbers was pretty funny, especially the end when the robber shoved them all into the closet and Vanda went nuts and they all were on top of Harry. Kind of reminsicent of "Lucy Cries Wolf" but at the end of that one, nobody believed poor Lucy. <_<

Bow Wow Boutique was good, I laughed at Harry's outfit at the end. And of course the stubborn air dryer and soap sprayer that sounded like microphone feedback. That looked more like shaving cream. When it first started I was like "Since when does Uncle Harry own a pet shop?"

Eddie Albert was OK. Best part was "Makin' Whoopie" at the end, and of course the famous Flying Singleton. I REALLY dislike Lucy's short wig this season after her wig last year. And I was not crazy about her wig in "Cops and Robbers" either. It was too flat. I much prefer the one from season 4.

Tipsy Through the Tulips was really funny. When they were drinking the spiked fruit punch it reminded me of Lucy and Viv trying to find the ring in the bowl of spiked wedding punch. I thought it was funny when Harry came in and they were both drunkenly singing Tiptoe through the Tulips.

Archived