Lucy-Desi Scrapbook CD-Rom

Luvsbway

As mentioned on another thread I was able to get the Lucy Desi Scrapbook CD-Rom up and running on my computer last night. If any of you have it and want to run it, you need to change your display colors back to 256 colors (I had to google to figure out how since it’s an old setting) and also make sure you have some version of quicktime. The CD-Rom has an old version that after many attempts I was able to get running. With the new LCD monitors the whole thing showed up on the small side but I was still able to watch the clips, look at pics and read the clippings, telegrams, etc…ok.

I forgot what a wealth of information this CD is. For those who do not have this, here is what it is. It’s broken up into 2 books, Lucy’s and Desi’s. The time frame is from each other’s birth through the very early part of their marriage. Each page is like a different chapter of their life. On each page are memorabilia pieces that you can click on. When you do this it will bring up the following: Pictures, telegrams, notes, video clips, audio clips, etc… Along the menu bar on the side there are more video and audio clips. Also each page has a summary about that chapter of their life.

The video and audio clips. The video clips are taken from the interviews with people that were conducted for the Home Movies doc. Many of these are not contained in the doc or are longer versions. Other video clips are more home movies, usually extended pieces that were seen in the doc. Lucy’s auto bio was an “as told to” book and basically the whole book was written out of audio tapes of Lucy narrating her life. Many of these audio clips are used in her section.

Letters, telegrams, etc…- In Desi’s section there is a Courtship Calendar. On the 3 pages from the calendar are places where you can click to read telegrams Desi was sending Lucy. As you read these over the three months the urgency for them to want to be together gets stronger and stronger. Also in this section you can read a letter Desi wrote to Lucy (on a plane) and a many page letter Lucy wrote him. Lucy’s letter is particularly good and it shows how much she really wanted to be with him and how much she missed him.

I need to spend a lot more time going back through this CD, but here are some things I learned. Their honeymoon was a very long affair. They stayed in NYC for a time and headed west on the Super Chief, staying over in a cabin in I believe Michigan. Once back in CA they headed down to Palm Springs and eventually to Florida for a time. In the Home Movies the film of them riding the bike together was taken in Palm Springs during the honeymoon.

The Pictures. So many pictures here that I have not seen published anywhere else and of the ones I have seen I got a little more back story on them. In Desi’s section there is a lot on the Ranch itself. Great photos of the whole place, backyard and indoors too.

I still have so much more to pour over, watch, listen to, etc… I don’t think I have even looked at this thing since sometime in the late 90s.

This is a terrific resource! I was actually planning on looking at this last month and although I figured out how to get it the monitor back to 256, I couldn't find an old enough version of Quicktime to get it to work. Were you able to use any version of Quicktime, or were you able to find the old version somewhere? Either way, tips would certainly be welcome!

I have mine, but it says the software is no longer supported. I never knew anything about the 256 color thing, Ill try that though.

I remember the footage, IT WAS AHEAD OT ITS TIME, as something like this is probably just as, if not more, valuable in our hands today.

I remember hearing Lucy tapes galore,which was SO GOOD HEARING-

I remember Lucy telling one of the kids "Get down from there!" spoken like a true mom with little ones lol

Desi's footage was amazing. They should consider a reissue.

I recommend trying to track down a copy. I was worried after all these years my computer was going to hate it, but

I got it working.

I managed to get a copy but am having no luck getting the version of QuickTime included on the disk installed -- any advice?? It'll go so far and then give an error message. Have tried at least a dozen times with no luck. :(

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Let me know if you need help turn time back on your computer. You will love this thing.

I'm so excited. I'm going to try and get it to work tomorrow! I'm also excited that this one I received is still in the box with all the little ads and everything, plus not a scratch on the disc. Got it for $10. I'm very happy with it! Can't wait to play with it tomorrow!

Try downloading an old QuickTime from the internet. QuickTime on the disk when I installed it kept giving me an error that I think I eventually said no to then it worked.

I got it to work! It kept giving me the error. I was 'answering' it wrong! Haha. I love how '90s this is! Haha.

But I loved it! Awesome photos, facts, and stories. If only Lucie did all three volumes! :(

Glad it worked. Make sure to keep clicking around, reading watching, listening. Yeah would love on to go through the 40's.

That would be more interesting to me personally. To hear Lucy and Desi talk about those years of 1940 and on. Too bad it was never continued on!

• 5 months later...

Archived