Lucy-Desi Scrapbook CD-Rom

Luvsbway

• 11 months later...

I transcribed 3 letters from this. The first 2 are in full. The third is the highlights.

Oct 1940 letter from Lucy – 10am- Back on this damn location

And you Desi baby are I hope sleeping peacefully. Watching you fly away from me last night was- well- I can’t put it in to words this morning more than I could talk last night. I didn’t cry- I was too dead for tears. I didn’t talk all the way home- that guy never stopped talking but I didn’t even hear him.

I went right to mothers until 10:30 and was in bed when you said you would be. Slept as though I’d been hit over the head. Harriett had to excavate this morning to get me out.

Missing you is more poignant this morning.

(this letter is really hard to read so I’ll do my best)

Oct 1940 letter- from Desi- Tuesday aboard plane

We are about half an hour from New York and so far the trip has been wonderful and very smooth flying.

I sent you a wire from Chicago telling about how well your pills worked last night. I had a wonderful rest. Thank you baby. I love you.

God daminit it’s getting bumpy now. I shouldn’t have talked so soon. It’s not too bad though.

Get Picture Play, the one that came out today, it has that story I told you about.

I already miss you very much and sincerely hope that you can be in New York next month, we’ll have the hell of a time. Work hard baby and be good, I promise to do the same. Soon you will be a great star and I’m going to be awfully proud of you and I hope you will be proud of me too.

Loving you (????) Desi

Nov 1940 letter from Lucy

And good morning my handsome little man. This is Wed under that same damn dryer one hour out of dreamland and I hasten to say you had better get back to me or I had better get to you- but soon! (if you don’t mind my mentioning it)…

In case you’re interested I do think I’ll wait for you- as if you didn’t know I would. Wish you could honestly say the same. S’easy to see what kind of mood I get up with these days isn’t it? S’awful to be writing such things to anyone- but what the hell- I’m in love.

Papers today said “RKO has turned down Argentine producers who wanted to do a stage musical with Desi Arnaz and Lucille Ball” Everyday there is something and thank god some of it is alright.

Going on the air tomorrow nite “Hollywood For Roosevelt” program. I’m not politically minded but am working with Groucho Marx and the spot seems to be very funny so I’ll probably wire you about it before you get this if everything goes alright at rehearsal tonight….

Please, Please, Please answer some of my questions in my other letters – if you still have the letters and heres one to answer in particular. What do you do with my letters? Do you have to tear them up or what. Some of the things I very much want answered- your mom going to Cuba? What are you doing with your car? What and how do you think about us? What about your show? Did you get yourself some nice new clothes? Etc…

My god don’t even think of a tour until you just have to! I don’t want that to think about. You mentioned my being able to go with you- of course I couldn’t. My god it would be three times cheaper for me to bring you here with me- for both of us.

Please write again a long letter this time- please darling.

(same letter)

Desi darling, this is still Wednesday 1:30pm. Wrote you this morning already but just found these proofs and wanted you to see them- on your honor to return them all to me for my scrapbook. I love them all-they make me very, very lonesome for you this afternoon- I’m still in the same “mood” I was in this morning incidentally….

I transcribed 3 letters from this. The first 2 are in full. The third is the highlights.

And you Desi baby are I hope sleeping peacefully. Watching you fly away from me last night was- well- I can’t put it in to words this morning more than I could talk last night. I didn’t cry- I was too dead for tears. I didn’t talk all the way home- that guy never stopped talking but I didn’t even hear him.

I went right to mothers until 10:30 and was in bed when you said you would be. Slept as though I’d been hit over the head. Harriett had to excavate this morning to get me out.

We are about half an hour from New York and so far the trip has been wonderful and very smooth flying.

I sent you a wire from Chicago telling about how well your pills worked last night. I had a wonderful rest. Thank you baby. I love you.

God daminit it’s getting bumpy now. I shouldn’t have talked so soon. It’s not too bad though.

Get Picture Play, the one that came out today, it has that story I told you about.

I already miss you very much and sincerely hope that you can be in New York next month, we’ll have the hell of a time. Work hard baby and be good, I promise to do the same. Soon you will be a great star and I’m going to be awfully proud of you and I hope you will be proud of me too.

Loving you (????) Desi

And good morning my handsome little man. This is Wed under that same damn dryer one hour out of dreamland and I hasten to say you had better get back to me or I had better get to you- but soon! (if you don’t mind my mentioning it)…

In case you’re interested I do think I’ll wait for you- as if you didn’t know I would. Wish you could honestly say the same. S’easy to see what kind of mood I get up with these days isn’t it? S’awful to be writing such things to anyone- but what the hell- I’m in love.

Papers today said “RKO has turned down Argentine producers who wanted to do a stage musical with Desi Arnaz and Lucille Ball” Everyday there is something and thank god some of it is alright.

Going on the air tomorrow nite “Hollywood For Roosevelt” program. I’m not politically minded but am working with Groucho Marx and the spot seems to be very funny so I’ll probably wire you about it before you get this if everything goes alright at rehearsal tonight….

Please, Please, Please answer some of my questions in my other letters – if you still have the letters and heres one to answer in particular. What do you do with my letters? Do you have to tear them up or what. Some of the things I very much want answered- your mom going to Cuba? What are you doing with your car? What and how do you think about us? What about your show? Did you get yourself some nice new clothes? Etc…

My god don’t even think of a tour until you just have to! I don’t want that to think about. You mentioned my being able to go with you- of course I couldn’t. My god it would be three times cheaper for me to bring you here with me- for both of us.

(same letter)

Desi darling, this is still Wednesday 1:30pm. Wrote you this morning already but just found these proofs and wanted you to see them- on your honor to return them all to me for my scrapbook. I love them all-they make me very, very lonesome for you this afternoon- I’m still in the same “mood” I was in this morning incidentally….

Wow....

• 6 months later...

Loving you (????) Desi

(same letter)

I'm grinning like a complete idiot reading these!

Loving you (????) Desi

(same letter)

I know I just reread them and you reminded me of how completely fabulous they were :D did you know of anymore Lubsway? I've never managed to get my hands on the cd and I would love to read more between them. They're incredibly intense with each other, especially Lucy. It's interesting right now to compare them to the Gary letters from the auction. Both loving but in a different way. There's a desperation and passion to be with Desi that's a peaceful, simpler tone with Gary . She writes about being happy but never writes to him with incredible declarations of love. When Gary was going away she said you'll miss Florence Henderson so I'll find a way to make it up to you, try to miss me more than golf and remember to write me even though you don't want to. Compare that to this :D

These were the only 3 letters on the CD ROM. I wish there were more. There were telegrams and I posted them down in another thread. I’ll tell you if Lucie would be smart she would do a book of all the letters she has, especially the ones Lucy had in her bathroom and were used in the home movies.

I have some more Gary letters still to post. You do make a great comparison. The more loving letters to him have a tone of how happy he made her, how he rescued her at a time in her life when she didn’t think she could love again and was very lonely. She’s thanks him for being such a great step-farther and what a great guy he is. But you right they are not the same tone as I can’t bear to be without you, I love you so much everything reminds me of you. I really think it shows that she could love again but that she did seem to lock away part of her heart to never be broken again. Couple that with the part of her heart that was still reserved for the love she carried for Desi. She truly was a different woman and not necessarily in a good way.

Archived