Lucy and Mame? Oil and water!

yendor1152

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can criticize Lucy as much as the next person. Sometimes I don't like her hair or the clothes she wore or some of the decisions she made in her personal life. To imply that I have my head up my ass when it comes to everything she did or said tells me that you don't have much of an argument and are running out of ammunition. Nice try. You sure do make things more interesting on this board, I'll give you that.

Argument? Who's arguing? Not me. I said my piece and stand by everything I've said. Nothing more needs to be added about Lucy's atrocious Mame. But I do enjoy having fun with you people. I can just see you now, dancing in a little parade around your apartments, lip-synching to Lucy's bull-in-heat honking on the soundtrack. Here, have a cig and a drink. Lucy would approve.

YENDOR1152: You can have an opinion but do you have to be so vehement in your manner? Personally I don't even think you are a Lucy fan, you're just something known as a troll. No doubt I'll find your username in other forums as well berating other users.

Of COURSE Lucy said it--she wanted to be Mame! So, of course she's going to say that the greatest Mame in history was "inspired" by her. I personally don't see any resemblance between the characters. In fact, Lucy could've used some of the Roz Russell pizzazz in her sorry rendition of Mamie. And you post, "you need to stop believing everything you read," right after posting, "I've heard it many times and Lucy said it herself in interviews." Sounds to me like you should take your own advice.

Sure, I love Lucy. I just don't love her in Mame. I'm not so enamored that I can't recognize crap when I see it. Apparently, some of you guys have to actually step in it. By the way, the "director" you refer to was Jerry Herman, the composer of the score. He wouldn't let the property be touched again without his involvement because of the Lucille Ball debacle. Check it out--it's history, not just something Lucy said in an interview.

I heard that Roz's role had a bit of an inspiration by the Lucy character from either Neil or HarryCarter, I believe. Two reliable people. Also in the interview on the season 6 HL DVD she told the interviewer that. Is Lucy a liar too now?

I can criticize Lucy as much as the next person. Sometimes I don't like her hair or the clothes she wore or some of the decisions she made in her personal life. To imply that I have my head up my ass when it comes to everything she did or said tells me that you don't have much of an argument and are running out of ammunition. Nice try. You sure do make things more interesting on this board, I'll give you that.

Thank you! You couldnt have worded this better! :)

I heard that Roz's role had a bit of an inspiration by the Lucy character from either Neil or HarryCarter, I believe. Two reliable people. Also in the interview on the season 6 HL DVD she told the interviewer that. Is Lucy a liar too now?

"Had a bit of an inspiration" from the Lucy character? And who the hell is Harry Carter--a character on Here's Lucy? Cripes, if you have to take fictional people's remarks to shore up your "facts," that's really quite sad.

Mame was delivered DOA. It's amazing that you guys say the movie musical was dead in the 70s, when a mere four years later, Grease was released and became a smash. Maybe if Lucy had teamed up with Olivia Newton-John, she would've had a hit record!

"Had a bit of an inspiration" from the Lucy character? And who the hell is Harry Carter--a character on Here's Lucy? Cripes, if you have to take fictional people's remarks to shore up your "facts," that's really quite sad.

Mame was delivered DOA. It's amazing that you guys say the movie musical was dead in the 70s, when a mere four years later, Grease was released and became a smash. Maybe if Lucy had teamed up with Olivia Newton-John, she would've had a hit record!

Harry Carter is the name of Jim Sheridan here on the board who wrote a facts book about Lucy. Just for your info so you don't look more silly than you already do.

YENDOR1152: You can have an opinion but do you have to be so vehement in your manner? Personally I don't even think you are a Lucy fan, you're just something known as a troll. No doubt I'll find your username in other forums as well berating other users.

Really? A troll? Gee, why don't you check other forums and find out for yourself. If you can tear yourself away from Mame's stomping like a horse, that is.

Harry Carter is the name of Jim Sheridan here on the board who wrote a facts book about Lucy. Just for your info so you don't look more silly than you already do.

I don't look silly at all. And why not just refer to him as Jim Sheridan instead of a fictional character? Not everyone's into "fandom" like you. The truth is, there's absolutely no proof that Lucy "inspired" Roz Russell's performance as Mame. That's revisionist history, to somehow make it "ok" that Lucy ruined the character. And she did, you know. Everyone knows it. You know it, too, I'm sure. Hawl out that holleeee!

I don't look silly at all. And why not just refer to him as Jim Sheridan instead of a fictional character? Not everyone's into "fandom" like you. The truth is, there's absolutely no proof that Lucy "inspired" Roz Russell's performance as Mame. That's revisionist history, to somehow make it "ok" that Lucy ruined the character. And she did, you know. Everyone knows it. You know it, too, I'm sure. Hawl out that holleeee!

Because HarryCarter is his name here at the board! That's why we refer to him as Harry and not Jim here! Man, you make me laugh...

Because HarryCarter is his name here at the board! That's why we refer to him as Harry and not Jim here! Man, you make me laugh...

So, you're so incredibly insular that you don't even consider that new people might invade your space on this board? Not everyone lives here, ya know. And come on, it's just as easy to type Jim Sheridan as it is Harry Carter, especially when you're feebly attempting to put someone in their place. Haha!

So, you're so incredibly insular that you don't even consider that new people might invade your space on this board? Not everyone lives here, ya know. And come on, it's just as easy to type Jim Sheridan as it is Harry Carter, especially when you're feebly attempting to put someone in their place. Haha!

Ok, I don't even know where you're coming from on this one. We're all pretty welcoming to newbies. I think Brock would take exception to your comment.

Mame may have been a critical failure, but it was not a financial dud.

Lucy couldn't take the "savage" reviews, which were all on target, by the way. And now you're saying Mame wasn't a "financial dud," after your fellow fans were claiming the 70s was a bad time for movie musicals? Come on. It was a flop, a bomb, and it drove her to become a semi-recluse. She probably thought she'd be nominated for an Oscar!

Ok, I don't even know where you're coming from on this one. We're all pretty welcoming to newbies. I think Brock would take exception to your comment.

Big deal. Let him take exception. And while you're at it, hawl out that GD holleee! Or smoke it, because you're definitely smokin' something!

HarryCarter is an active poster on this blog and one of the authors of the Lucille Ball FAQ book. Most musicals flopped ones that didn't are Willy Wonka, Grease, and Cabaret. But the directing, producing, writing, everything was great about these films. Then movies like The Rocky Horror Picture Show, Jesus Christ Superstar, and Hair earned recognition over time.

HarryCarter is an active poster on this blog and one of the authors of the Lucille Ball FAQ book. Most musicals flopped ones that didn't are Willy Wonka, Grease, and Cabaret. But the directing, producing, writing, everything was great about these films. Then movies like The Rocky Horror Picture Show, Jesus Christ Superstar, and Hair earned recognition over time.

I notice you very neatly left Mame out of both groups.

Archived