Lucy and Mame? Oil and water!

yendor1152

Ha! I think Barbara Walters would've made a better Mame than Lucy! As for singing ability, Lucy's right up there with Roseanne Barr.

This, folks, pretty much sums up the intent of this thread.

Come on. It was a flop, a bomb, and it drove her to become a semi-recluse.

Critically, yes. Financially, no. Repeating your arguments doesn't necessarily make them so.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This, folks, pretty much sums up the intent of this thread.

Critically, yes. Financially, no. Repeating your arguments doesn't necessarily make them so.

Then why don't you back up your claim with facts. What was the budget, including PR? And what was the box-office take?

I think yendor1152 is having a bad comedown from his new year's eve celebration. He might have popped one too many.

The only thing I "popped" was my Mame DVD in the player. Then I sat back, fully expecting a great movie-going experience. Then I saw the first number, with Lucy waving her hands around on top of a piano and dancing like a stick figure through the crowded house. Owch! I loved how she wakes up from a night of heavy drinking still made-up with false eyelashes and rouge and lipstick up to her nose. That's really great stuff. Oh, what were you saying again?

The only thing I "popped" was my Mame DVD in the player. Then I sat back, fully expecting a great movie-going experience. Then I saw the first number, with Lucy waving her hands around on top of a piano and dancing like a stick figure through the crowded house. Owch! I loved how she wakes up from a night of heavy drinking still made-up with false eyelashes and rouge and lipstick up to her nose. That's really great stuff. Oh, what were you saying again?

Most people do wake up with heavy makeup and false eyelashes after a heavy night of drinking! I know I do! :gary:

I have respect for her. I just don't think everything she touched was golden. You, however, think differently. Hey, that's ok. I'm sure Lucy appreciates your love for Mame!

Mame wasn't the greatest. But you know why I love it? Lucy loved working on Mame. She was so proud of herself and how great she did. She knew she didnt have the greatest voice and she isn't the greatest dancer. But she was having a ball and was very proud of it. That's the truth of it. I take it for the positives. Not every negative you can possibly find in something.

Mame wasn't the greatest. But you know why I love it? Lucy loved working on Mame. She was so proud of herself and how great she did. She knew she didnt have the greatest voice and she isn't the greatest dancer. But she was having a ball and was very proud of it. That's the truth of it. I take it for the positives. Not every negative you can possibly find in something.

Hey, now this I understand. But let's be real--Lucy put Mame out for the public. She may have had a ball doing it (and from what I've heard, that wasn't the case all the time), and she definitely had outsized expectations of the finished product--but I think it did more harm than good. It essentially ruined her film career, and she did teary-eyed interviews where she defended the film and claimed people were printing horrible pictures of her, when Warner Brothers had beautiful pix to distribute. I'm sure it was a devastating experience, but the reality of the situation was beyond her. She was stuck in another time, and it definitely was NOT the 70s. Film musicals of that period had to have their feet in reality. Mame didn't. It wasn't sleazy like Cabaret, it wasn't "young and fresh" like Willie Wonka and Grease. It just sat there, like a pile of...holly.

Archived