Lucy and Mame? Oil and water!

yendor1152

A lot of it is Lucy's fault. Why do you think the writer of the musical was so furious about the way it came out? He put ALL the blame on Lucy and her diva-ish ways. There were even rumors at the time that she invested her own money in the project, with the stipulation that she have the starring role.

As far as Cher, Julie Andrews and Bette Midler playing Mame, wherever did you get the idea we were talking about 1973? We're talking about NOW.

I've never heard that Roz took inspiration from Lucy when she did Mame. There's nothing of the Lucy character in Mame at all.

I've heard it many times and Lucy said it herself in interviews. ILL was huge at that time when Auntie Mame was made. I see it too, like the ending scene in the original film with the Upsons coming over.

Lucy a diva?! HA! What director is going to blame himself?! You need to stop believing everything you read.

Question? Do you even like Miss Ball? Lol. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but hott damn!

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, Amazon. Where fans post five stars to crap. All of your comments seem to have been taken from Lucy herself--the Last Tango reference, the tearing down of a star at the height of her popularity, etc. Those have all been referenced in Lucy books again and again. And correct me if I'm wrong, but Lucy was on the downside of her popularity in 1974. Here's Lucy had been cancelled by CBS, and she was looked upon as "old timey" and out of synch with what's new and relevant. The sorry fact is, she was indeed just that. Why else would she have tried to turn back the clock with Life with Lucy, when TV shows like that had already gone the way of the dinosaur.

"Here's Lucy" had not been cancelled. She decided to do other things like TV specials instead of a weekly sitcom. She had 6 years' product in the bag, it was going into syndication. If you look at it, a lot of TV shows go about that long regardless of the star, even nowadays. That does NOT say that Lucy was unpopular. Her true fans still loved her but a lot of people wanted to see "Lucy" the character instead of her playing other roles. Whenever she tried something new, like Mame, she was taking a risk because everyone wanted to see goofy Lucy Ricardo. She got shit on a lot for it and it still continues to this day (look at your catty posts).

Aren't you the same dude who always says Lucy was a bitch to work with and all that crap? I mean, it's one thing to have criticisms as well as admiration for a star, but it seems like you continuously bring up the bad stuff and believe all the shit that's been said about her as the truth. Kinda strange since this is a Lucy board for fans and you don't seem much of one. :lucyhmm:

A lot of it is Lucy's fault. Why do you think the writer of the musical was so furious about the way it came out? He put ALL the blame on Lucy and her diva-ish ways. There were even rumors at the time that she invested her own money in the project, with the stipulation that she have the starring role.

As far as Cher, Julie Andrews and Bette Midler playing Mame, wherever did you get the idea we were talking about 1973? We're talking about NOW.

I've never heard that Roz took inspiration from Lucy when she did Mame. There's nothing of the Lucy character in Mame at all.

YENDOR sounds truly midieval, so do your opinions.

"Here's Lucy" had not been cancelled. She decided to do other things like TV specials instead of a weekly sitcom. She had 6 years' product in the bag, it was going into syndication. If you look at it, a lot of TV shows go about that long regardless of the star, even nowadays. That does NOT say that Lucy was unpopular. Her true fans still loved her but a lot of people wanted to see "Lucy" the character instead of her playing other roles. Whenever she tried something new, like Mame, she was taking a risk because everyone wanted to see goofy Lucy Ricardo. She got shit on a lot for it and it still continues to this day (look at your catty posts).

Aren't you the same dude who always says Lucy was a bitch to work with and all that crap? I mean, it's one thing to have criticisms as well as admiration for a star, but it seems like you continuously bring up the bad stuff and believe all the shit that's been said about her as the truth. Kinda strange since this is a Lucy board for fans and you don't seem much of one. :lucyhmm:

Oh my, i seem to have overused my LIKES for today so i owe you and Brock one for your most recent posts. I already gave the three of you, including Annaleigh kudos so far. Seems my first impression of this whack job was right on the money.

I've heard it many times and Lucy said it herself in interviews. ILL was huge at that time when Auntie Mame was made. I see it too, like the ending scene in the original film with the Upsons coming over.

Lucy a diva?! HA! What director is going to blame himself?! You need to stop believing everything you read.

Question? Do you even like Miss Ball? Lol. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but hott damn!

Of COURSE Lucy said it--she wanted to be Mame! So, of course she's going to say that the greatest Mame in history was "inspired" by her. I personally don't see any resemblance between the characters. In fact, Lucy could've used some of the Roz Russell pizzazz in her sorry rendition of Mamie. And you post, "you need to stop believing everything you read," right after posting, "I've heard it many times and Lucy said it herself in interviews." Sounds to me like you should take your own advice.

Sure, I love Lucy. I just don't love her in Mame. I'm not so enamored that I can't recognize crap when I see it. Apparently, some of you guys have to actually step in it. By the way, the "director" you refer to was Jerry Herman, the composer of the score. He wouldn't let the property be touched again without his involvement because of the Lucille Ball debacle. Check it out--it's history, not just something Lucy said in an interview.

You don't know what you're talking about. It's a fact that CBS cancelled Lucy, as well as all the old-timey sitcoms and shows to make way for the newer stuff.

Are you saying that in order to be a fan you have to like everything a star does? That's just ridiculous. With the inaccurate garbage you're spouting, it makes me wonder if you're a fan yourself. If you were, you'd know Here's Lucy was canned. Not by Lucy, either. Sheesh, some people.

Oh my, i seem to have overused my LIKES for today so i owe you and Brock one for your most recent posts. I already gave the three of you, including Annaleigh kudos so far. Seems my first impression of this whack job was right on the money.

Thanks. My thing is that we all are entitled to our own opinions. But when you are a fan of a certain thing you should admire that person, love the positives not drag out negatives that aren't all true. How can you think so negatively of Lucy as a person and not respect her work for what it is?

This makes me that you are not very fond of Miss Ball.

Thanks. My thing is that we all are entitled to our own opinions. But when you are a fan of a certain thing you should admire that person, love the positives not drag out negatives that aren't all true. How can you think so negatively of Lucy as a person and not respect her work for what it is?

This makes me that you are not very fond of Miss Ball.

Yeah, well, you're full of it.

I'm just going to say one thing and one thing only - To purposely create a thread that promotes negativity in a forum where we're supposed to celebrate and admire Lucille Ball shows what sort of person you are yendor1152. You certainly enjoy breathing negativity into our group! If you don't like Mame then you don't need to create an entire thread about it - simply add it to the "Unpopular Opinions - Lucy Style" thread or the "Mame" thread!

You don't know what you're talking about. It's a fact that CBS cancelled Lucy, as well as all the old-timey sitcoms and shows to make way for the newer stuff.

Are you saying that in order to be a fan you have to like everything a star does? That's just ridiculous. With the inaccurate garbage you're spouting, it makes me wonder if you're a fan yourself. If you were, you'd know Here's Lucy was canned. Not by Lucy, either. Sheesh, some people.

I'm not the one spouting inaccurate garbage. Look in the mirror, buddy. I DID NOT SAY YOU HAVE TO LIKE EVERYTHING SHE DID. Read my comment correctly. I put it in caps so you'll be sure not to miss it this time.

I'm just going to say one thing and one thing only - To purposely create a thread that promotes negativity in a forum where we're supposed to celebrate and admire Lucille Ball shows what sort of person you are yendor1152. You certainly enjoy breathing negativity into our group! If you don't like Mame then you don't need to create an entire thread about it - simply add it to the "Unpopular Opinions - Lucy Style" thread.

I agree, Mikidiki. I'd give your post a 'like' but I've lost my quota for today. ;)

Of COURSE Lucy said it--she wanted to be Mame! So, of course she's going to say that the greatest Mame in history was "inspired" by her. I personally don't see any resemblance between the characters. In fact, Lucy could've used some of the Roz Russell pizzazz in her sorry rendition of Mamie. And you post, "you need to stop believing everything you read," right after posting, "I've heard it many times and Lucy said it herself in interviews." Sounds to me like you should take your own advice.

Sure, I love Lucy. I just don't love her in Mame. I'm not so enamored that I can't recognize crap when I see it. Apparently, some of you guys have to actually step in it. By the way, the "director" you refer to was Jerry Herman, the composer of the score. He wouldn't let the property be touched again without his involvement because of the Lucille Ball debacle. Check it out--it's history, not just something Lucy said in an interview.

:MrsRichardCarlson: :MrsRichardCarlson: :MrsRichardCarlson: :MrsRichardCarlson:

I'm not the one spouting inaccurate garbage. Look in the mirror, buddy. I DID NOT SAY YOU HAVE TO LIKE EVERYTHING SHE DID. Read my comment correctly. I put it in caps so you'll be sure not to miss it this time.

Everything I've said is accurate, honey. You're the one spouting things from a "fan's" point of view, colored by your love for an icon who didn't know you even exist. Oh, well. Put on the Mame soundtrack and listen to Lucy singing, "open a new windoooowww!"

Everything I've said is accurate, honey. You're the one spouting things from a "fan's" point of view, colored by your love for an icon who didn't know you even exist. Oh, well. Put on the Mame soundtrack and listen to Lucy singing, "open a new windoooowww!"

I can criticize Lucy as much as the next person. Sometimes I don't like her hair or the clothes she wore or some of the decisions she made in her personal life. To imply that I have my head up my ass when it comes to everything she did or said tells me that you don't have much of an argument and are running out of ammunition. Nice try. You sure do make things more interesting on this board, I'll give you that.

Archived