Lucy and Mame? Oil and water!

yendor1152

And if you boned up on your reading, perhaps you might know that DeDe and Lucy had a kidding sort of relationship. And who cares if she was a bitch sometimes? She could never match your bitchiness.

Of course she was a bitch! That's what women felt they had to be in order to be taken seriously by men back in the day. Got your Desilu book? Give it a read! She slapped her own long-time make-up man, for heaven's sake!

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brain Damage. You ARE the wit, aren't you? Better use those Baby Wipes. I think you're leaking.

The bitch story came from one of the two QUEENS who worked for her and they could never stand strong powerful women, they were tired old men who never had anything much to contribute to society, hey, sorta like you, so they bitch about things to get a rise outta people, know that feeling dontcha?

The padded room is waiting for you chum, don't lose your place in line. You see she said LOSER like whatever he built up, he had to tear down, thereby losing it, did you get that one yet? He said it about himself so she wasn't being a bitch by quoting him.

The fact is, she didn't have to say anything even remotely negative. After being divorced for 17 years and enjoying a supposedly "happy marriage," Lucy could've shown her gracious side. She didn't.

Yeah, she did well enough when she was young. A quarter of a century before Mame. By Mame, she'd ruined her voice. Do some research into the filming. She couldn't even sing a line without editing help.

In HL she sang a little of If He Walked Into My Life and she sounded better than the movie.

The bitch story came from one of the two QUEENS who worked for her and they could never stand strong powerful women, they were tired old men who never had anything much to contribute to society, hey, sorta like you, so they bitch about things to get a rise outta people, know that feeling dontcha?

Yeah, I know the feeling, since you keep snapping at the bait like a wide-mouthed bass!

Of course she was a bitch! That's what women felt they had to be in order to be taken seriously by men back in the day. Got your Desilu book? Give it a read! She slapped her own long-time make-up man, for heaven's sake!

She had to, he wanted to quit while she was making the movie in which you say she looked like a mannequin, so her arm just fell off the dummy and headed towards his face, what do you expect from a mannequin anyway?

She had to, he wanted to quit while she was making the movie in which you say she looked like a mannequin, so her arm just fell off the dummy and headed towards his face, what do you expect from a mannequin anyway?

Wow. Maybe it was because he couldn't make her look 55 again.

The fact is, she didn't have to say anything even remotely negative. After being divorced for 17 years and enjoying a supposedly "happy marriage," Lucy could've shown her gracious side. She didn't.

Sorry you couldn't handle that, it's called being honest and truthful, a rare thing in Hollywood and also in your posts.

The OP clearly is out to provoke as he has admitted earlier so I've kept off this thread. I am making one and only one post here:

If MAME was going to be filmed in the 1970's, Lucille Ball was the only possible actress who could have played the part. The role calls for a woman who is at least on the eve of fifty (I know Angela was only in her early 40s when she did MAME on Broadway but then she usually did play a decade older than her age) and at the time there were no women in that age range who could carry a major motion picture with the exception of Katharine Hepburn whose singing as anyone who has heard the COCO oc album makes Lucy sound like Streisand. The part of Mame requires the viewer to "love" her which has never been the independent Kate's forte or even goal in her performances. Angela Lansbury has just starred in the big budget Disney musical BEDKNOBS AND BROOMSTICKS which was one of the few Disney box office failures of that era, there was no way she was going to get the film version of MAME, Minnie Pearl stood a better chance.

That the woman who starred in the Broadway hit failed to get the film version was hardly a new phenomeon and doesn't happen far more than it does, I can think of only Judy Holliday and Shirley Booth off hand as Broadway actresses without film fan popularity who managed to snag the movie of their stage hit. Even major movie stars like Claudette Colbert (The Marriage Go Round) and Bette Davis (Night of the Iguana) didn't always get the film version of something they made a hit on stage - the producers of these films almost ALWAYS tries to get the biggest box office name of the moment they can. And for MAME, thanks to her unparalled television popularity, that was Lucille Ball.

Nobody is going to try to talk you into liking MAME or Lucy's performance in it. You are free to hate them both but the fact remains that the movie and her performance have many admirers and the movie will be in circulation and enjoyed for decades into the future, long after you have moved on to attacking whatever other movie you hate.. And I do not believe Jerry Herman, a legendarily kind gentleman, has ever attacked Lucy's performance in the film or harshly criticized the movie. I read his autobiography a good 15 years ago and seem to recall him stating with pride many of the great women stars who have performed his works, not just Carol Channing and Angela Lansbury, but also Barbra Streisand, Betty Grable, Susan Hayward, Dorothy Lamour, Pearl Bailey, Ginger Rogers, Ann Miller, and Lucille Ball among them.

Well one other thing people did go. Here's Lucy was still on and who doesn't love Miss Ball? Everyone knew who she was. No matter what I think it would have flopped with Better Davis, Angela Lansbury, or who ever played it. If it was done in the 60's I do not think it would have flopped so badly. Like look at The Long, Long Trailer and Yours, Mine, and Ours? Done at the height of ILL and TLS and did fantastic. Plus those movies had great directors and writing. TLLT was so much like ILL it had to be a great film financialy. C'mon Nicky and Tacy! Haha. Now Forever Darling was not because it showed the beloved couple in a different light and confusing for some to follow in a way.

Anyways Lucy looked marvelous in Mame. It also showed her in a different light. No matter what what we should look for was her ability of how happy and proud of this picture she was. That's what mattered.

Well one other thing people did go. Here's Lucy was still on and who doesn't love Miss Ball? Everyone knew who she was. No matter what I think it would have flopped with Better Davis, Angela Lansbury, or who ever played it. If it was done in the 60's I do not think it would have flopped so badly. Like look at The Long, Long Trailer and Yours, Mine, and Ours? Done at the height of ILL and TLS and did fantastic. Plus those movies had great directors and writing. TLLT was so much like ILL it had to be a great film financialy. C'mon Nicky and Tacy! Haha. Now Forever Darling was not because it showed the beloved couple in a different light and confusing for some to follow in a way.

Anyways Lucy looked marvelous in Mame. It also showed her in a different light. No matter what what we should look for was her ability of how happy and proud of this picture she was. That's what mattered.

"Looking marvelous" isn't enough in a major motion picture where you're expected to act, dance and SING. Sorry to bust your bubble!

The OP clearly is out to provoke as he has admitted earlier so I've kept off this thread. I am making one and only one post here:

If MAME was going to be filmed in the 1970's, Lucille Ball was the only possible actress who could have played the part. The role calls for a woman who is at least on the eve of fifty (I know Angela was only in her early 40s when she did MAME on Broadway but then she usually did play a decade older than her age) and at the time there were no women in that age range who could carry a major motion picture with the exception of Katharine Hepburn whose singing as anyone who has heard the COCO oc album makes Lucy sound like Streisand. The part of Mame requires the viewer to "love" her which has never been the independent Kate's forte or even goal in her performances. Angela Lansbury has just starred in the big budget Disney musical BEDKNOBS AND BROOMSTICKS which was one of the few Disney box office failures of that era, there was no way she was going to get the film version of MAME, Minnie Pearl stood a better chance.

That the woman who starred in the Broadway hit failed to get the film version was hardly a new phenomeon and doesn't happen far more than it does, I can think of only Judy Holliday and Shirley Booth off hand as Broadway actresses without film fan popularity who managed to snag the movie of their stage hit. Even major movie stars like Claudette Colbert (The Marriage Go Round) and Bette Davis (Night of the Iguana) didn't always get the film version of something they made a hit on stage - the producers of these films almost ALWAYS tries to get the biggest box office name of the moment they can. And for MAME, thanks to her unparalled television popularity, that was Lucille Ball.

Nobody is going to try to talk you into liking MAME or Lucy's performance in it. You are free to hate them both but the fact remains that the movie and her performance have many admirers and the movie will be in circulation and enjoyed for decades into the future, long after you have moved on to attacking whatever other movie you hate.. And I do not believe Jerry Herman, a legendarily kind gentleman, has ever attacked Lucy's performance in the film or harshly criticized the movie. I read his autobiography a good 15 years ago and seem to recall him stating with pride many of the great women stars who have performed his works, not just Carol Channing and Angela Lansbury, but also Barbra Streisand, Betty Grable, Susan Hayward, Dorothy Lamour, Pearl Bailey, Ginger Rogers, Ann Miller, and Lucille Ball among them.

"The eve of fifty?" Cripes, she was far from that! And if you don't believe Jerry Herman has ever criticized Lucy and the Lucy Mame, you're living in a dream world. Just do a Google search, and you'll find out exactly what he thought. Why do you think there's never been another version of Mame? Because he demanded (and got) full approval over any version after Lucy got her claws into it. He wanted to guarantee that such a debacle would never happen again. And it didn't, not in his lifetime. Sorry to bust your bubble.

Archived