Did Lucy get a face lift?

C L A U D E

Always wondered about that as i saw her come back for The Lucy show looking way better than she had on I Love Lucy years before. I know that through the years, we were fed that constant story of her not healing well, but what do you guys think, did she get one as was rumored one time or did she just use that facelift contraption under her wigs to achieve that still youthful look decades after she started out in the biz?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think she did. I think it was the style of the wig and different lighting that made her look a tad more youthful. If she had gotten one, then why did she look older again by the end of "Here's Lucy"? Did it fail? LOL. Hope she got her money back if that's the case.

I don't think she did. I think it was the style of the wig and different lighting that made her look a tad more youthful. If she had gotten one, then why did she look older again by the end of "Here's Lucy"? Did it fail? LOL. Hope she got her money back if that's the case.

But face lifts do need to get redone, every five years they say, ask Bea Arthur. She had it done in real life and included it in Maude i think. And there was that soap actress too, Jeannie Cooper i think. Only problem is when they can't stop and it takes a few years for them to look somewhat normal again, see Joan Rivers for that one.

My vote is for the contraption rather than the actual lift. If she was able to have a facelift at that one time one would think she would have kept up the regular maintenance which, as we know from candid shots, she did not.

Remember that story i told you about that went all over town here in the early sixties, THAT EITHER BETTE DAVIS OR LUCILLE BALL WAS IN TOWN TO GET A FACE LIFT AWAY FROM THE HOLLYWOOD AREA. Anybody who's followed Bette's looks KNOWS she never got one, that's obvious.

I think she really slimmed down by the time the Lucy Show started. Granted the Bway show and being sick dosn't help your healthy, but dang you can get skinny. This also helped towards her look.

True, she did look older when heavier, round face did not help, BUT, it did seem to help her sometimes as too skinny emphasized the wrinkles and lines. Maybe you guys are right and it only seemed she looked better as all her photos were touched up and she was photographed without close ups on her later shows. I do remember that gary wanted her hairdresser to suggest she get her neck done. But not to say the suggestion came from him.

Now, you see, in your new avatar pic of her, she looks perfect, but there's this photo of her on the back cover of an Ed Sullivan coffee table book where she looks like a mass of wrinkles and it was in her outfit from The Benefit. So, i understand photography and lighting and other things play into all this.

In my best Lucy Ball . . . WHAT THE HELL IS THAT SUPPOSED TO MEAN?

Now, you see, in your new avatar pic of her, she looks perfect, but there's this photo of her on the back cover of an Ed Sullivan coffee table book where she looks like a mass of wrinkles and it was in her outfit from The Benefit. So, i understand photography and lighting and other things play into all this.

I just don't believe that she did - she started wearing the contraption and it really all depends on lighting and makeup etc. plus weight loss and gain plays a factor!

I just don't believe that she did - she started wearing the contraption and it really all depends on lighting and makeup etc. plus weight loss and gain plays a factor!

Okayyyyyyyyyyyy, but i'm saying the looking younger bit happened way before the lift contraption came into play.

Okayyyyyyyyyyyy, but i'm saying the looking younger bit happened way before the lift contraption came into play.

Ohhhh ok now I understand...........um...........could you pinpoint an approx time so I can try to locate some photos of when you think it might have been? x

I think the more youthful look happened around the same time as Irma's installation of the lift contraption. This was compounded by what was going on in her life at the time. She was coming out of an extremely unhappy situation, followed by a bout of ill-health, and then being a very happy newlywed put a bit more of a spring in her step and it showed.

I think the more youthful look happened around the same time as Irma's installation of the lift contraption. This was compounded by what was going on in her life at the time. She was coming out of an extremely unhappy situation, followed by a bout of ill-health, and then being a very happy newlywed put a bit more of a spring in her step and it showed.

Yes, I agree Brock. In all honesty though I think that the WIG played a very important role in the ageing of Lucy. I personally feel that her wig in the LAST LDCH SPECIAL was the nicest and she looked the youngest YET she was the unhappiest at that time in her entire life!

Remember that story i told you about that went all over town here in the early sixties, THAT EITHER BETTE DAVIS OR LUCILLE BALL WAS IN TOWN TO GET A FACE LIFT AWAY FROM THE HOLLYWOOD AREA. Anybody who's followed Bette's looks KNOWS she never got one, that's obvious.

Both ladies had their eyes done at one time in their lives.

Disagree, Lucy was always in tip top shape and didn't have to be wheeled in and out of car like most celebrities her age, i think she ate right and kept herself active, adding the swimming and skiing and everything else, except for when she was really sick like all of us, she was going along fine, well, except for the smoking, stress and unhappy periods, yes.

Both ladies had their eyes done at one time in their lives.

Finally, someone who would really know, and doing the eyes would have been a BIG thing in her case, Bette's too. Wonder why she never went back for touch ups though. I assume this would have happened AFTER the last LDCH and before The Lucy show. I once read that her eyelids had doubled over or something like that due to that constant overdoing it on make up. Grant you, she could be at the same photo op and look terrific in some shots and not so good in others, so i agree that lighting and the expertize of the photogs would play into it though. Look at her at the very end of her life, Oscar photo shoot, coming down the stairs or waiving to the crowd, PERFECT, that one close up with the baggy eyes and no smile which was always important for her, good God, even us, don't WE always smile in a photo?

I'll give her one thing, she A L W A Y S remembered how to pose properly, usually dressed well, conducted herself as a former model who had SPERIENCE in that department and knew how to show off her attire in the best manner. How could she not, she did it her whole life. And i think she did pretty well in maintaining an ideal weight, never got ridiculously fat like some of her contemporaries. Although you can even see the start of a double chin back in her ILL days. As one of the world's most photographed women, she sure knew how to obtain different LOOKS for herself. And as Joan Rivers once told her, she always looked so glamorous and her hair always just right. Wish somebody had told her to stay away from the color beige though, she was always pale, so beige although always a great color for clothes but on her, not so much, I'm talking in her last years though.

We gotta remember those contraptions, the difference in make up, wigs, different eye brow shape, all sorts of differences in her look. If you look at her face structure, it didn't really show huge signs of aging between the 50s and 60s. You would think if she did, she would've kept up by the negative comments on her aging during Mame. I just think this is EXTREMELY doubtful.

We gotta remember those contraptions, the difference in make up, wigs, different eye brow shape, all sorts of differences in her look. If you look at her face structure, it didn't really show huge signs of aging between the 50s and 60s. You would think if she did, she would've kept up by the negative comments on her aging during Mame. I just think this is EXTREMELY doubtful.

Didn't you read Rickee's post, SHE DID get her eyes done. And one tell tale sign of a face lift is that curls of hair covering the sides like she had in Yours mine and whozitz. Although that could have been used to cover the Gene Hibbs make up also.

Archived