Our Neighbor, Ethel Mertz

vivfantoo*

A while back in one of the Lucy books I read, I learned of a book called "Just Outside the Spotlight" about an actress named Eileen Heckart. It was written by her son Luke, & included an entire chapter about Viv who was their neighbor. I bought an inexpensive copy of it just to read that chapter :) .

It includes a casual picture of the Dodds, the Mortons & the Heckarts, & a story about Lucy as well as Viv info.

Here's a link to several pages of that chapter on a mazon: (you may have to scroll down a bit to get to that chapter)

http://books.google....n vance&f=false

A while back in one of the Lucy books I read, I learned of a book called "Just Outside the Spotlight" about an actress named Eileen Heckart. It was written by her son Luke, & included an entire chapter about Viv who was their neighbor. I bought an inexpensive copy of it just to read that chapter :) .

It includes a casual picture of the Dodds, the Mortons & the Heckarts, & a story about Lucy as well as Viv info.

Here's a link to several pages of that chapter on a mazon: (you may have to scroll down a bit to get to that chapter)

http://books.google....n vance&f=false

Wow, thanks for posting that, great read, well, except for the last story. Have always LOVED Ms Heckart, have seen most things she's done over the years, terrific actress. Funny how i always envisionned Lucy in the role of Mary Tyler Moore's aunt Flo, and here they knew each other.

Ok, well, I have to agree with Lucy here. "Who the f*** is Eileen Heckart?!" Never heard of her.

She's one of those actresses that you've probably seen, but don't recognize by name. Ms. Heckart did ALOT of guest appearances on classic TV shows like Gunsmoke, The Cosby Show, Home Improvement and The Fugitive. She tended to play strong, female characters and meddling mothers.

I'm not an expert on her, but I recommend seeing her in "Butterflies are Free" with Goldie Hawn and Edward Albert. Fantastic!

She's one of those actresses that you've probably seen, but don't recognize by name. Ms. Heckart did ALOT of guest appearances on classic TV shows like Gunsmoke, The Cosby Show, Home Improvement and The Fugitive. She tended to play strong, female characters and meddling mothers.

I'm not an expert on her, but I recommend seeing her in "Butterflies are Free" with Goldie Hawn and Edward Albert. Fantastic!

I see. Guess I'll have to Google her. :lucycoy:

Yeah, isn't that the movie she won the Oscar for? Edward Albert, Eddie's son plays a blind person in that one.

Yeah, isn't that the movie she won the Oscar for? Edward Albert, Eddie's son plays a blind person in that one.

Yes, Eileen won Best Actress in a Supporting Role. Her timing and delivery were fantastic. I remember she had a scene where she discovered her blind son's bathtub was in his living room. He (Edward Albert) had left home for the first time and was trying to live independently in a hippy-style apartment, but Eileen's character wanted him back at home. Eileen lifted up what looked like the lid of a wooden trunk and there was his tub inside. Eileen bellowed, "I could absolutely cry!" It was soooo funny.

Poor Edward Albert died a year after his father in 2006. Cancer. :(

Archived