Oscar Winners and Nominees the guested

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's one, with his 'connection' to Lucille: [here's the task; name the other three]

Sam Harris, actor, 560 titles; one of only four persons to have appeared in a record five Best Picture Oscar Award winners; Lucille Ball early film-career co-star, Kid Millions, 1934, Old Man Rhythm, 1935, Annabel Takes a Tour, 1938; William Frawley (“Lucy’s Fred Mertz) co-star, The Bride Came C.O.D., 1941; Lucille co-star, Thousands Cheer, 1943, Bud Abbott and Lou Costello in Hollywood, 1945; with Frawley, Lady on a Train, 1945, Rendezvous with Annie, 1946; with Lucille, The Dark Corner, 1946; with Frawley, Down to Earth, 1947; with Lucille, Miss Grant Takes Richmond, 1949; with Frawley, The Lone Wolf and His Lady, 1949; Vivian Vance (Lucy's Ethel Mertz) co-star, The Secret Fury, 1950; with Lucille, Fancy Pants, 1950;Arnazes co-star, Forever, Darling, 1956; as well as guest, (“I Love Lucy”) “Lucy and the Loving Cup”, 1957; is born this date in 1877.

Name the celebrities Lucy worked with who were named in they lyrics of "Autograph Annie and Celebrity Lu" (and for the rest of us: name the film, radio/TV episodes)

To my knowledge she did NOT work with Sabu..... (....Sabu, oh, yes we got Subu, too)

Elizabeth Taylor Hilton Wilding Todd Fisher Burton ("Lucy Meets the Burtons")

-Clark Gable (Radio's "China Seas")

-Judy Garland (Thousands Cheer, Ziegfeld Follies)

-Aldo Ray ("KO Kitty")

-Henry Fonda (I Dream Too Much, The Big Street, Yours, Mine and Ours, The Good Years)

-Maria Ouspenskya (Dance, Girl, Dance)

-Lizabeth Scott (Easy Living)

-Groucho, Chico, and Harpo Marx (Room Service)

-Larry Parks (Her Husband's Affairs)

-Betty Grable ("Lucy Wins a Racehorse," Old Man Rhythm, Follow the Fleet)

-Ava Gardner (DuBarry Was A Lady)

-Sonny Tufts (Easy Living)

The lyric names are sometimes hard to understand, especially when they're singing in counterpoint.

Do you know them well enough to post them?

I didn't know Marie Ouspenskya was mentioned.

Ava "just people like you n me" Gardner was in "dubarry"??

Sabu, for those who don't know, played in a minor series of films billed as Sabu, the Jungle Boy.

Interesting piece of trivia. He was married to actress Marilyn Cooper, Tony winner for Lauren Bacall's Woman of the Year. She had a great duet with bacall. "The Grass in Always Greener". Talk about an odd pairing!

Sabu died in 1964 at only 39, so he did not get a chance to guest star on Here's Lucy but here is a proposed plot, a sequel to "The Carters in the Jungle"

"Lucy Meets Sabu"---

When Lucy encounters Sabu in Africa, she tries on his nose ring and gets it stuck----right before he is to perform a ritual dance for the tribal chief and his new wife (Sid Gould, Vanda Barra).

Elizabeth Taylor Hilton Wilding Todd Fisher Burton ("Lucy Meets the Burtons")

-Clark Gable (Radio's "China Seas")

-Judy Garland (Thousands Cheer, Ziegfeld Follies)

-Aldo Ray ("KO Kitty")

-Henry Fonda (I Dream Too Much, The Big Street, Yours, Mine and Ours, The Good Years)

-Maria Ouspenskya (Dance, Girl, Dance)

-Lizabeth Scott (Easy Living)

-Groucho, Chico, and Harpo Marx (Room Service)

-Larry Parks (Her Husband's Affairs)

-Betty Grable ("Lucy Wins a Racehorse," Old Man Rhythm, Follow the Fleet)

-Ava Gardner (DuBarry Was A Lady)

-Sonny Tufts (Easy Living)

- Marcy McGuire (evil little sister in Seven Days Leave)

- Paulette Goddard (Roman Scandals, Kid Millions)

- Franklin Pangborn (A Girl A Guy, and a Gob, Stage Door, Lover Come Back, Joy of Living, etc.)

- Toby Wing (Murder at the Vanities)

- Tony Martin (Follow the Fleet)

- Douglas Fairbanks (Let's go with junior and throw him in here for Having Wonderful Time. LOL)

Outside the song:

- Eve Arden (Stage Door, Having Wonderful TIme, I Love LUcy, etc.

- John Wayne (ILL, TLS)

- Lucille Ball (Here's Lucy)

Ava "just people like you n me" Gardner was in "dubarry"??

Sabu, for those who don't know, played in a minor series of films billed as Sabu, the Jungle Boy.

Interesting piece of trivia. He was married to actress Marilyn Cooper, Tony winner for Lauren Bacall's Woman of the Year. She had a great duet with bacall. "The Grass in Always Greener". Talk about an odd pairing!

Sabu died in 1964 at only 39, so he did not get a chance to guest star on Here's Lucy but here is a proposed plot, a sequel to "The Carters in the Jungle"

A pre-fame Ava Gardner (then Mrs. Mickey Rooney) was a chorus girl in DuBarry Was a Lady.

Sabu was actually married to a different actress named Marilyn Cooper. When Tony winner Marilyn Cooper died a couple of years ago, it was reported she was Sabu's widow, but that was later corrected. He was married to another actress with the same name. And, yes, Marilyn Cooper was brilliant performing "The Grass is Always Greener." She also played Gooch in Mame at some point during the Broadway run.

A pre-fame Ava Gardner (then Mrs. Mickey Rooney) was a chorus girl in DuBarry Was a Lady.

Sabu was actually married to a different actress named Marilyn Cooper. When Tony winner Marilyn Cooper died a couple of years ago, it was reported she was Sabu's widow, but that was later corrected. He was married to another actress with the same name. And, yes, Marilyn Cooper was brilliant performing "The Grass is Always Greener." She also played Gooch in Mame at some point during the Broadway run.

God you guys are so great at this.

AT LAST!!!! A thread that is a wealth of information for us Lucille Ball fans! What a GREAT READ!!!! Thanks for doing so; to each of you, not just Harry....

Am going to watch Dubarry again just to look for Ava.

• 1 year later...

I was just watching Ricky's European Booking and discovered at least one more Oscar winner who appeared on I Love Lucy. When Ricky and the Pied Pipers are recording Forever Darling, lyricist Sammy Cahn is in the booth standing behind Louis Nicoletti (see below). I think that could possibly be composer Jimmy Van Heusen standing near Bennett Green.

408950605.jpg

I was just watching Ricky's European Booking and discovered at least one more Oscar winner who appeared on I Love Lucy. When Ricky and the Pied Pipers are recording Forever Darling, lyricist Sammy Cahn is in the booth standing behind Louis Nicoletti (see below). I think that could possibly be composer Jimmy Van Heusen standing near Bennett Green.

408950605.jpg

Very cool, eagle eye! ;)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

John Wayne and some great innuendo in this writing.

http://michaelstvtray.com/2014/03/21/stolen-footprints-lucy-and-john-wayne/

So far the tally of "People Who See the Greatness of the "Lucy and John Wayne" "Lucy Show" episode and "People Who Think It's Sub-par":

The total in the former group: a grand total of ONE (1) and that would be me.   The number of the 2nd group" everyone else plus one (the author of this piece).  I never get tired of this episode or Lucy's very free-wheeling performance in it.

Archived