The long and short on Lucy’s hair

Luvsbway

There is another name for her hair?

Original caption: A preview of 1960 hairstyling is given by Lucille Ball (right), who will debut her French import coif, the "Renoir," on Westinghouse Desilu Christmas TV special December 25th (CBS-TV, 9-10 P.M. EST). Frances Martin, also in the show, wears 1959 hairdo model, the "Amalfi" bob, an Italian boycut.

hair5.jpg

This one did look cute on her, at least it was finally something different from what we saw for six years on I Love Lucy.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So it's bugged me for a while that I knew that Lucy had to have a fall in this scene from Dubarry, her hair was never that long. I've finally got proof. This was up for auction in 2010 and sold for almost $3000. Here is the description:

The beautiful fiery red wig, made from human hair and hand-tied, was worn by the iconic comedienne in the 1944 musical slapstick Du Barry Was A Lady. The wig includes the studio storage box as well as the wig stock record card. The black cardboard wig box is studio-labeled: "493, ¾ Fall, Tech. Red 7", L. Ball" on the front. The wig stock index card reads "Stock No. 493, Original Player: Lucille Ball, Description: Tech. Red. ¾ Fall, Prod. #1266" in typed text, along with pencil and pen note markings. The box's entire left cover side edge missing, the right corner side edge is broken. The cover is also a bit warped. The box is in Fair condition and the wig and the record card are in Fine condition. From The MGM Wig Archive.wig5.jpg

wig.jpg

wig2.jpg

Lucy's real hair is from her ear area up. This wig attached to the top of her head to fall down the back and the lines were consealed with her real hair. There are some shots in the movie where you can tell the slight color variance from her real hair and the wig. It was used by another actress in later production and was restyled which is why there are so many curls in the auction photo compared to Du Barry.

• 9 months later...

I might be one of the only ones but i LOVED the poodle cut. I thought she looked like she was in her early 30's with that cut at the beginning of ILL. I also like the loose curls on her but I can't go for the short hair, I think it made her look harsh.

When I see pictures of her from the late 1950s, I always tend to like the the ones with her own hair rather than ones where she's wearing a wig. I think the style of her real hair was somehow more flattering. I think she could've waited a while longer before she switched to the wigs/contraption.

I mean compared with how she looked in some of the LDCHs and the promo shots for some of those episodes to how she looked in candid photos at home, parties, etc, I like her with her own hair. Her hair always seemed a little longer and softer than the wigs.

Well, she WAS a frustrated hairdresser so it figures her hair was very important to her.  The ONLY wig I never liked although it was still beautiful was the one with oh so obvious LOOK to it, I think it was in Critic's Choice, every time you saw her with it, you recognized it as the hair on the forehead was always exactly the same.  Wish I could show you a pic o it.  Professionally, the ONLY time I remember her having her own hair later in life was when she sang a song to Bob Hope at the Kennedy Center, no lift contraption either, it was all HER.  I was thinking just today how bad the wigs were in the fifties, remember both Lucy and Desi wearing these awful ones in Young Fans?  Or Fred's in Ricky thinks he's going bald, just awful.  Lucy's at the end of her life, when wigs looked remarkable showed her best one at the Oscars and the opening of the Bob Hope Cultural Center. 

• 2 months later...

Here’s a question for the wig experts. Previously we talked about lace wigs and how they were applied and that they were meant to be worn for hours at a time.

As I watch early episodes of TLS there are episodes where Lucy goes back and forth from real hair to wig. An example of this is the cake baking episode. Wig through the beginning of the episode, real hair during cake baking (since she has to do the bit with the chef hat), back to wig for the final scene. How much time did this take for all the swaps? Granted 2 wigs could be used for the before and after so they would both be styled thus saving time restyling the first wig. But how long does it take to apply one? Factor that into Lucy had to have her own hair styled in the middle of the show for the baking scene. Wouldn’t this be a heck of a lot of hair time in the middle of shooting given that these shows were shot usually in about an hour?

This then makes me wonder about the face lift contraption. How long did this take to apply? Did it get put back on when the wig is reapplied? I try to do a makeup/face tightness comparison where she does this hair/wig flip flop and don’t notice a difference. Maybe slightly around the eyes. Would the makeup have to be altered for real hair once the face was let down?

Another question about water and wigs. A reason Lucy went real hair in certain bits was due to hair getting wet. TLS examples are the shower scene, duck hunting and in HL I believe the dunk tank is her own hair. But there are examples of the wigs getting wet. Lucy in the green dye and also in the pool at Marine Land. Hats were another cause for real hair, case in point the TLS softball episode. But it seems like later in the run of TLS and HL hats didn’t seem to cause any issues with wigs. Did Irma just get better at getting those wigs under the hat?

She also used her own hair in the Crazy Crunch episode. I think she had a chefs hat on for that one too. Did she keep her wig on for "Barbershop Quartet"? It kind of looks like it. Glad I'm not the only one that watches TLS and wonders if she has a wig on or not.

One of the best episodes to see the comparison is in Lucy and the Beauty Doctor. Even just to see the difference in the way her hair is.

I'm sure it does take some time to get those wigs on. But with make up and hair people on hand they could get it done.

But with water, wigs and water do not mix well. The glue from the wigs would not stick as well. Plus water weighs down hair. You could probably see the netting from the wig through the wet hair.

I'm sure with hats, maybe it loosened the curl on the top. But maybe they solved that problem with maybe adding more volume and hair to the top of the hair.

Archived