The lovely Valerie Harper

rickee

She crossed my mind just about an hour ago. I logged on to Twitter and saw Ed Asner's post and immediately knew what happened. I'm incredibly sad, but Valerie Harper's talent, courage, and spirit will always be a great inspiration to me. Mary and Rhoda are together again- and I bet they're having a great time:(

giphy.gif

One of my best friends recently got into Mary Tyler Moore, which I was thrilled about. However, it wasn't so much fun within the last month having to tell her that Rhoda was on her way out. Nevertheless, it goes to show that her incredible charisma and skill as a performer will go on delighting people forever. 

Here's a great photo of a young Valerie dancing in protest of the demolition of Carnegie Hall!

ChQCgvlU8AAuN01.jpg

Also, if you haven't seen it, I'd really recommend watching some bootleg footage of Valerie's Tony-nominated performance in Looped on YouTube!

As great as the MTM ensemble was, much of the show's success was due to Valerie Harper's Rhoda.  After 20 years of TV sitcoms, here was a brand new type of character played to perfection.  She was indeed strong enough to warrant a spin-off.  "Rhoda" started out very strong culminating in her hour-long wedding episode, a true "event" that happened about a month after the premiere.   However the producers did not think ahead:  what to do with a happily married Rhoda?  Nancy Walker and Julie Kavner made an excellent supporting cast but they were lacking a premise for story catalysts. If a one-off character scored, they were brought back as a semi-regular.  They introduced Ann Meara as a "39 year old flight attendant" (as the TV Guide ad stated) but that didn't pan out.  They tried making Joe's workplace part of the show with Scoey Mitchell and, in a very supporting role: his secretary Mae played by Cara Williams, who a dozen years earlier came within a thin red hair of being another Lucille Ball (the closest ANYONE came and there were a lot of promises of someone being "the new Lucille Ball").  Having a sitcom lead go through an extended separation and eventual divorce was certainly ground-breaking but it was done less for innovation and more to get rid of a character that just wasn't working (Joe).   Rhoda ended up working in a costume shop for crusty Lou-like boss Ken McMillan, which worked well enough. "Rhoda" ended up outlasting MTM and Phyllis by a season and a half.  After 2 years in the top 10, Rhoda (along with MTM and Phyllis) suddenly dropped out of the top 30 in 76-77.  "MTM" and "Phyllis" left the air.  "Rhoda" bounced back in its 4th year (77-78) ranking #25.  Renewed for a 5th year, Rhoda was outrated by "CHiPs", whatever that was.  I saw one of those 5th season shows.  Valerie's usual sassy energy just wasn't there and "Rhoda" quietly left the air in December of 1978 (with, I think, some unaired episodes).  Other than Julie Kavner, no other cast member lasted all 5 seasons.  It  was Valerie Harper's appeal that held the show together.  Other than Lucy Ricardo, I can't think of a sitcom character that was so REAL. We all loved Rhoda...and Valerie Harper.  

A sobering realization: we lost Mary, Georgette and Valerie in such a short period of time. 

• Like 1

Additions to above:  Rhoda ranked a respectable #32 during the 76-77 season, better than the #39 for MTM's final season, a surprisingly low ranking for a show still dominating the Emmys.("Phyllis" at a not-bad #40 got the ax.) This was the "Rhoda" season Nancy Walker left to try her own ABC series and rumor had it that Vivian Vance would join the show as a sort-of replacement..  Nancy was back in  the cast in 1977.  "Rhoda" aborted 5th season was truly a ratings disaster ranking #95 out of 114 shows.  That 114 number represented all shows aired during the season, when in fact there were only 70 series on the networks fall schedule.  This 78-79 season was not good for Mary either with her 2 variety series failing.  If Nielson ratings are the indication, tastes had changed from Noel Coward to the Bowery Boys, with a type that IMO were truly ghastly & unwatchable: 3's Company, Laverne & Shirley, Alice, Happy Days,One Day at a Time, Soap and the very bottom of the (my) barrel: the inexplicable hit "The Love Boat".  Quality was still represented by All in the Family, MASH, Taxi and Barney Miller but none of those were really my cup of tea.  Give me RHODA!  We tend to be fooled into believing the actors who play characters are actually like those characters in real life. It's so nice to hear that Valerie Harper was so well-liked by her peers.  She will always have a special place in my heart.

• Like 1