The lovely Valerie Harper

rickee

You know, I imagine from looking at this photo, if sitting in the Wildcat audience, one would be able to tell that unknown pretty girl in the daisy dress had that "little extra something".

Yeah, i betcha at one point, Lucy turned and yelled, I WANT THAT GIRL, I CAN MAKE HER A STAR!!!!!

Probably did yell at her but I'm betting it was more like, "Who's that little *itch and why is she standing in my key light???!" :lucyhaha: I'm KIDDING!!! :lucy1:

I'm referring to your note about the stock company and one of my favorites "Fights the System": Add Jack Collins as the man who deduces that "when he reaches 40 (??!) I guess he should start to act more mature"....To which Lucy and I say "I'll have to remember that when I become 40.....SHUT UP!!" and isn't the bartender someone who's been in episodes?...There are some very familiar faces amongst the other customers, though I can't place their names right now. Was Mary Treen in any other episodes?

This is a very well acted episode, including Lucie Arnaz's finest comic performance of the entire series. Someone mentioned the over-the-top silly-acting by the group in "Cops and Robbers", and while I one of those who thinks highly of "C&R", it's true. I much prefer the playing-it-straight style of the group in "System".

• Like 1

"You have to wear a happy hat. It make you feel better..."

I believe that's Swen Swenson on the lower left who made a big splash in the subsequent Cy Coleman-Carolyn Leigh musical "Little Me" doing the only standard to come from that show "I've Got Your Number".

Valerie said she did 4 shows and I THINK they were Wildcat, Subways are for Sleeping, Take me Along and Li'l Abner. If my memory is correct, she's in the movie version of Abner.

Early in the run of Wildcat when it was proclaimed "a hit that will make your ears ring", there was serious talk of a movie starring Lucy. Don't think there's enough plot in Wildcat for a movie, but I'm surprised they didn't do a TV version of it--if for no other reason that Desilu could recoup some of their investment.

1-010HatOffer3__zps0469c909.jpg

More spectacular pictures! Thanks, Neil!

Lucy and Valerie both won four Emmys, but Lucy had more nominations: 13 to Valerie's eight. Wildcat cast member Hal Linden has seven nominations, but never won. He has won several Daytime Emmys, though.

Those were indeed Valerie's four chorus shows. She was also part of Destry Rides Again, but became ill with hepatitis during rehearsals and had to leave before opening. Valerie is in the film version of Lil Abner along with fellow dancer Beth Howland.

I've heard Valerie tell a funny story where she had an interview to get agent and didn't want him to think she she was just a dancer. She lied and told him that she was Tony winner Phyllis Newman's understudy in Subways are for Sleeping. The agent replied, "That's funny, my client, (name), was Phyllis Newman's understudy." Valerie never lied again.

Also in Li'l Abner: a brunette Donna Douglas pre-Hillbillies.

These pictures are from a staged photo shoot for publicity pictures for Wildcat.

More spectacular pictures! Thanks, Neil!

Valerie is in the film version of Lil Abner along with fellow dancer Beth Howland.

"You have to wear a happy hat. It make you feel better..."

I believe that's Swen Swenson on the lower left who made a big splash in the subsequent Cy Coleman-Carolyn Leigh musical "Little Me" doing the only standard to come from that show "I've Got Your Number".

Valerie said she did 4 shows and I THINK they were Wildcat, Subways are for Sleeping, Take me Along and Li'l Abner. If my memory is correct, she's in the movie version of Abner.

Early in the run of Wildcat when it was proclaimed "a hit that will make your ears ring", there was serious talk of a movie starring Lucy. Don't think there's enough plot in Wildcat for a movie, but I'm surprised they didn't do a TV version of it--if for no other reason that Desilu could recoup some of their investment.

1-010HatOffer3__zps0469c909.jpg

The guy next to Lucy, WHO DAT?

Not sure on who won more, but Lucy was nominated more as she has the current record tied with Julia Louise Dreyfus who tied it last year.

Even if Julia surpasses her, which she probably will, it's not a fair comparison. There were a couple years where the female TV lead was open to all types of shows: comedy and drama. (and I would assume many of Julia's nomination were in the supporting category for Seinfeld) Not sure why Lucy was left out for her LDCH work; particularly the first 2 years; and that one of the specials didn't get SOME nomination.

I would think MTM, Cloris and Betty White would be right up there with numbers of nominations. When you can get an Emmy for guesting on a variety or comedy show, your nomination numbers can add up.

If you tally up all the years Lucy was nominated but lost and add the years she was eligible but not nominated she lost to:

Red Skelton, Eve Arden, Loretta Young, Nanette Fabray, Jane Wyatt three times, Dinah Shore, Shirley Booth, Mary Tyler Moore three times, Hope Lange twice, Jean Stapleton twice, AND Bishop Fulton J. Sheen (for Outstanding Television Personality of 1952).

None of these people were slouches (except for Sheen who in the clips I've seen seems creepy and crazy as a loon), but I don't think Lange talent's were too taxed with "Ghost and Mrs. Muir". Fabray won for a position on Caesar's Hour that she had won the previous year in a supporting category. Not only that but by the time of the awards she had been off the show for a year, her performance just barely qualifying. Jane Wyatt is fine, but THREE Emmys for Father Knows Best? I would rather have seen Ann Sothern and Gracie Allen win one over Fabray and Wyatt.

During the ILL years, Lucy was nominated for SOMETHING every year even if it was an odd category "Best Personality who Essentially Plays Themselves", but ILL was only up for the first 4 years of its 7 year eligibility. The ENTIRE trip in Hollywood (and subsequently Europe) was not deemed nomination worthy.

If you throw in nominations she might have been eligible for, you can add that Lucy technically lost to Susan Clark, Katharine Hepburn, Joanne Woodward, Patty Duke (all of these would be for her 70s specials and Moves to NBC), Marlo Thomas (Lucy: Stone Pillow), and Rue McClanahan (Lucy: Life with Lucy)

Even if Julia surpasses her, which she probably will, it's not a fair comparison. There were a couple years where the female TV lead was open to all types of shows: comedy and drama. (and I would assume many of Julia's nomination were in the supporting category for Seinfeld) Not sure why Lucy was left out for her LDCH work; particularly the first 2 years; and that one of the specials didn't get SOME nomination.

I would think MTM, Cloris and Betty White would be right up there with numbers of nominations. When you can get an Emmy for guesting on a variety or comedy show, your nomination numbers can add up.

If you tally up all the years Lucy was nominated but lost and add the years she was eligible but not nominated she lost to:

Red Skelton, Eve Arden, Loretta Young, Nanette Fabray, Jane Wyatt three times, Dinah Shore, Shirley Booth, Mary Tyler Moore three times, Hope Lange twice, Jean Stapleton twice, AND Bishop Fulton J. Sheen (for Outstanding Television Personality of 1952).

None of these people were slouches (except for Sheen who in the clips I've seen seems creepy and crazy as a loon), but I don't think Lange talent's were too taxed with "Ghost and Mrs. Muir". Fabray won for a position on Caesar's Hour that she had won the previous year in a supporting category. Not only that but by the time of the awards she had been off the show for a year, her performance just barely qualifying. Jane Wyatt is fine, but THREE Emmys for Father Knows Best? I would rather have seen Ann Sothern and Gracie Allen win one over Fabray and Wyatt.

During the ILL years, Lucy was nominated for SOMETHING every year even if it was an odd category "Best Personality who Essentially Plays Themselves", but ILL was only up for the first 4 years of its 7 year eligibility. The ENTIRE trip in Hollywood (and subsequently Europe) was not deemed nomination worthy.

If you throw in nominations she might have been eligible for, you can add that Lucy technically lost to Susan Clark, Katharine Hepburn, Joanne Woodward, Patty Duke (all of these would be for her 70s specials and Moves to NBC), Marlo Thomas (Lucy: Stone Pillow), and Rue McClanahan (Lucy: Life with Lucy)

That's basically what i've always said, today they get a nomination for everything, in Lucy's day, there were very few, imagine how many she would have gotten for guest starring on someone else's show, Danny Kaye, Steve Lawrence, Danny Thomas alone . . . it's also true of the show, when you compare the hit tv shows, they get nominations for hairdressing, for corn sakes, nonsense when you think that ILL's Hollywood trip did not get her an Emmy for the Bill Hiolden show alone, or the grapes in Italy and at least ten others that, well you get my point.

Lucy and Julia's nomination record for most nominated comedy actress is a bit unfair. All of Julia's Seinfeld nominations were in the supporting category and Lucy received multiple nominations in the same year.

Cloris Leachman has 22 Primetime Emmy nominations. I don't know of any other person who has more for performing. I think Betty White is two or three behind her. Mary Tyler Moore has 15 nominations overall.