The lovely Valerie Harper

rickee

Loving all the Valerie love!! Hopefully this will lead to a box set of every season included; preferably, they'd redo Season One and use uncut, broadcast version episodes and NOT the syndicated versions they released -- ugh!!

:peachonthebeach: :peachonthebeach: :peachonthebeach: :peachonthebeach: :peachonthebeach: :peachonthebeach: :peachonthebeach: :peachonthebeach: :peachonthebeach: :peachonthebeach:

Loving all the Valerie love!! Hopefully this will lead to a box set of every season included; preferably, they'd redo Season One and use uncut, broadcast version episodes and NOT the syndicated versions they released -- ugh!!

:peachonthebeach: :peachonthebeach: :peachonthebeach: :peachonthebeach: :peachonthebeach: :peachonthebeach: :peachonthebeach: :peachonthebeach: :peachonthebeach: :peachonthebeach:

Yeah, I'd heard that. I don't have any of the Rhoda DVDs as of yet, but we'll get them one day. Not sure what happened with season one, whether they only had the legal rights and/or access to syndicated prints of those shows, or whether it was simply an oversight. Perhaps it'll be remedied at some stage.

• Like 1

Okay, I learned a bit more about the season one release.

9 of the episodes are the original network versions, while the other 15 are the syndicated prints. The prints for the 15 syndicated episodes are apparently much poorer in quality than the network edits. Apparently the producer apologized for this, and care was taken for future seasons to only use the original versions.

Hopefully that will be corrected some day.

"Rhoda" finished the 77-78 season at a respectable #25, helped by its lead-in "60 Minutes" and the other Sunday night shows "All in the Family" and "Alice".  All 3 of those made the top 10. (The 8:30 show was the one-season "On Our Own" featuring "CBS On The Air" stars Bess Armstrong and Lynnie Green.  Perhaps CBS had high hopes of "OOO".  Bess and Lynnie seemed out of place with all those historic boa-flinging entrances.) 

In the fall of '78, Rhoda moved to Saturday at 8.  The days of CBS's strong Saturday night comedy block had ended a couple seasons previous to this.  Rhoda was followed by "Good Times" at 8:30, the only Saturday night CBS comedies that season. 

I remembering seeing an episode of the 5th season, maybe the season opener.  There was something different about Rhoda/Valerie.  She seemed almost bored.  The old spark just wasn't there.  I wasn't surprised that it wasn't renewed but didn't know until recently that it didn't make it through the entire season.   It was gone on December 9th with several episodes in the can unaired ("Rhoda and the Guard Goose"?)

Obviously there was no "final episode" of "Rhoda" which is a shame because it might have reunited the MTM people one last time.

It was the end of an era I was sorry to see go. 

"Good Times" also left the air on December 9th but reappeared in the spring and was not renewed for 79-80.

Thursday was historically the night hit CBS sitcoms went to die NOT Saturday. 

Having no better luck in the 78-79 season was Mary with her 2 failed variety shows. 

1978 compared to 1974:  4 years earlier Rhoda and Mary Tyler Moore was so HOT.  It's amazing how fast things can fizzle.  You can hardly blame stars for demanding huge salary increases when they have a big hit.  Being in high demand is so fleeting. 

"All in the Family" was the only series from that brief 70s sitcom golden era to last into the 80s, but it was the watered-down Edith-less "Archie Bunker's Place" that lasted until 1982.  "ABP" is to "AITF" what TLS is to ILL.  I remember "Archie's" as a solid, funny show but it just wasn't the ground-breaking "Family". 

• Like 1

Okay, I learned a bit more about the season one release.

9 of the episodes are the original network versions, while the other 15 are the syndicated prints. The prints for the 15 syndicated episodes are apparently much poorer in quality than the network edits. Apparently the producer apologized for this, and care was taken for future seasons to only use the original versions.

Hopefully that will be corrected some day.

This has happened with other [sitcom] DVD releases as well, like Roseanne, where the first season's set used syndication prints and there was a lot of consumer grumbling (rightfully so) to the extent that it was ultimately corrected and re-released later down the line.  And yes, hopefully -- especially if an eventual "complete series box set" is produced -- Rhoda will be redone, "corrected" as well.  :viv2:

Some of the season one episodes that were edited on the DVD set are unedited on Hulu. The biggest cut was the opening scene of the pilot featuring Mary. This isn't in the Hulu version either.

Which just goes to show that the broadcast version(s) were somehow or other available after all, despite Shout!'s claims; sure don't get though why they'd cut the Mary scene (which was funny and touching, if I recall correctly) in any scenario unless they just wanted (for reasons I can't fathom) to have no reference at all to "the mother ship"! :blink:

Which just goes to show that the broadcast version(s) were somehow or other available after all, despite Shout!'s claims; sure don't get though why they'd cut the Mary scene (which was funny and touching, if I recall correctly) in any scenario unless they just wanted (for reasons I can't fathom) to have no reference at all to "the mother ship"! :blink:

Joey, I don't think Shout! ever made an excuse for season one; I was merely speculating in my earlier post. Perhaps this is what they were given to work with, or else cans were mislabeled. It's hard to say. As I said subsequently, the producer offered an apology and efforts were made to ensure all subsequent seasons only included the network originals.

There have been other instances (such as when Warner Bros. issued season one of Mama's Family) where the studio in question only had the rights to the syndicated prints; later on, TimeLife acquired the rights to the originals from Joe Hamilton's estate. I'm not sure what happened with Roseanne, but Mill Creek's reissue did indeed contain the network broadcasts.

I don't want to hold anyone too accountable here, as this can't be an easy job. What with all these different edits circulating around for every episode, trying to differentiate which cut is which must be a nightmare in some cases, especially for older titles. Then you've got costly legal clearances and certain fans who cry foul at the tiniest mistake; it must make it a real challenge for the people who do this.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Update on the final season release, which has been postponed until October:

Back in May we told you that Shout! Factory had - finally! - made plans to release Rhoda - Season 5: The Final Season on DVD. The plans at the time were for the title to be available everywhere on August 15th. Now, however, Shout!'s online store has updated their pre-order listing for the title to say this:
  • It has come to our attention that a number of episodes on our release of Rhoda: The Final Season were created from masters that make the viewing experience less than ideal. To correct this issue, we are going back to the vault to find better masters to use for this set. To allow for the extra time needed to complete this process, the national street date of this release has been pushed back to October 17, 2017.

With the delay (meant to give customers a better experience, so this is a positive thing in the end!), Shout! Factory is also providing a new bonus item with the set:

• "Carlton Your Doorman" (1980) - The Animated Pilot Episode For A Proposed Rhoda Spinoff Series

Fred Wolf (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turles) was involved in the production of that animated pilot, and Lorenzo Music - who played Carlton in the live-action Rhoda series - voiced the main character (he would go on to be renowned for voicing Garfield in the popular Garfield and Friends cartoon series, among other work).

For any customers who might have received their set early and experienced drop-outs or skipping, or for those who continue to get their pre-orders on time but with the discs full of issues, Shout! has emailed their pre-order customers and told them that when the corrected set becomes available, "we will be shipping replacement discs to everyone who pre-ordered this set from our website." So no action should need to be taken on your part.

• Like 1

Update on the final season release, which has been postponed until October:

We've waited this long, I'd just as soon wait a smidge longer and have them done right!.. Still hoping for 1) a complete series box and 2) a redone a-la-Roseanne redux of Season One with complete, intact broadcast version prints, not the edited syndication prints they initially released them with. :blink:

We've waited this long, I'd just as soon wait a smidge longer and have them done right!.. Still hoping for 1) a complete series box and 2) a redone a-la-Roseanne redux of Season One with complete, intact broadcast version prints, not the edited syndication prints they initially released them with. :blink:

Agreed. The fact that they're taking the time to improve on initial efforts speaks very highly of them, IMO.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

It sounds like our 'dumb, awful girl" is losing her battle. :(:( 

Message from Tony Cacciotti VIA FACEBOOK

I have been told by doctors to put Val in Hospice care and I can’t [because of our 40 years of shared commitment to each other] and I won’t because of the amazing good deeds she has graced us with while she’s been here on earth.

We will continue going forward as long as the powers above allow us, I will do my very best in making Val as comfortable as possible.

There are two special ANGELS on this planet masquerading as humans who live and work together, that have made it possible to have all of Val’s needs taken care of.

For those of you who have been in this position, you will totally understand that “it’s hard letting go.” So as long as I’m able and capable, I’ll be where I belong right beside her.

Many, many thanks for your outpouring of kindness and support.

Tony

• Sad 2

21 minutes ago, Freddie2 said:

This makes my heart sink. It’s amazing that she was given about three months but turned it in to six ongoing years with her positivity and resilience. 

Incidentally, the family has a GoFundMe campaign where you can donate to help with her treatment.

It looks like the fund is no longer accepting donations. :( 

• Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...

Our beloved Valerie has passed. :(

Actress Valerie Harper, best known for her roles in "Rhoda" and "The Mary Tyler Moore Show" has died at age 80, her family says.

Her family confirmed the actress died at 10:06 a.m. Friday. The cause of death was not immediately disclosed.

Harper first came to fame for her role as Rhoda Morgenstern on "The Mary Tyler Moore Show" and then the character was spun off to her own sitcom, "Rhoda," in the late 1970s.

She won four Emmys and a Golden Globe for her work in those two shows.

Harper returned to TV as the lead in the sitcom "Valerie," though she left the show after the second season in a contract dispute.

DEVELOPING: This story will be updated.

https://abc7ny.com/actress-valerie-harper-dies-at-80-family-says/5503817/