The lovely Valerie Harper

rickee

A much more optimistic update!

There have been conflicting reports in the media regarding Valerie Harper's condition after being admitted to the hospital Wednesday evening prior to going on stage at the Ogunquit Playhouse. Executive Artistic Director Bradford Kenney has been in direct communication with Valerie's family from the beginning and can report that Valerie is not, and has never been, in a coma. She is currently enjoying her family's company while resting at an undisclosed location. Valerie has been loving her time in Ogunquit and is looking forward to getting back on stage at the Ogunquit Playhouse.

Valerie Harper came to the Ogunquit Playhouse excited to perform on the same stage as many of her peers. Her first words to Brad Kenney upon arrival were, "I wouldn't have missed this for the world." She has been a joy to work with and has become a fast friend to everyone at the theatre. Every cast member, crew, staff and audience member she has come in contact with have remarked on her warmth and graciousness. Valerie, who played Tallulah Bankhead on Broadway in Looped, has been sitting in Tallulah's own dressing room under a photo of the actress from the days when she performed at the Ogunquit Playhouse.

Valerie has been delighting the cast and crew with stories about Tallulah during her time backstage. She and Sally Struthers have been enjoying their time together. The two share an Emmy Award for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy (1972), Sally for her role as Gloria on All in the Family and Valerie for her role as Rhoda on The Mary Tyler Moore Show. Co-star Sally Struthers said in a statement, "Valerie is feeling better today. We have been friends for 43 years and shared an Emmy in 1972 and this is our first time working together. It's an amazing blessing."

The Ogunquit Playhouse has been pleasantly overwhelmed by the outpouring of concern and affection for Valerie Harper and has been forwarding hundreds of well wishes to her from audience members and fans.

http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/UPDATE-Ogunquit-Confirms-Valerie-Harper-NOT-in-a-Coma-Co-Star-Sally-Struthers-Releases-Statement-20150731

This is wonderful! I'm glad that whole coma thing wasn't true but I wonder how a misunderstanding like that could happen.

This reminds me of that game where a person whispers something to the person next to them, who then whispers it to the next person, and so on.  Then the last person says out loud what was whispered in their ear, which often is entirely different than what the first person said.  That's how rumor and gossip works, and unfortunately the media in this digital age is in such a rush to be the first to report a story, they don't verify their information and are relying on the rumor mill.  No coma, and obviously conscious on the way to the hospital.  I'm glad Valerie is in much, much better shape than what the media reported.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...