Lucy's Off-Screen Clothes

Luvsbway

Claude asked for it so here it is.

Claude you gave me a tough topic as I tend to watch more of Lucy in things as opposed to more candid/real life Lucy, especially 80’s Lucy.

I’ll sort of do this by decade from what I can think of.

80’s. My god can we get over the pantsuits. I think there were so many pantsuits for 2 reasons. It was the style at the time and they also are rather comfortable. Heck look at how much Hillary Clinton is known for her pantsuits. As far as dresses go I think it’s harder for an older woman to really find something glamorous and fitting to her age. I hear this talked about a lot on the current fashion shows. The what does the woman over 60 year wear? Now someone like Helen Mirren can knock it out, but it you don’t have the rocking bod any more what do you do? I notice that Lucy tended to wear a lot of high neck things. I was never much a fan of her stuff in the 80’s, but I’m also not a fan of much 80’s fashion. I do particularly love that TV Hall of Fame dress. Best dress of the 80’s. As far as those beige outfits, terrible. I’m fair skinned and can not wear beige. Not very many people can pull off that color. I don’t particularly like the Oscar dress but I gotta hand it to her for the slit though.

70’s. Too many caftans. How many brunches did she have to plan? Yes they were in style at the time, but she still had a great figure. I wish she would have shown it off more. I think she was a little more daring in some stuff she wore on HL (tighter skirts w/ slits, more form fitting tops) but not so much in off-screen life, which is odd since the other decades they tend to parallel.

60’s. You have to lump the late 60’s into the 70’s and those caftans again. Now early 60’s I think she had some great style, but I think she was helped there with it backing up to the stuff that was being made for her in the shows and the movies. Any of those Edith Head things were great.

50’s. This sort of is like the early 60’s again. The on screen and off screen style was pretty similar. You see a lot of stuff from photo shoots, tv appearances, magazine ads with her in clothes that came right off the show or the movies.

40’s. I don’t have a ton to go off of here, some candid pics but you get a good sense of stuff from the Home Movies footage. With looking at the footage/pics of her at home she wore more nice casual stuff. I think in the 40’s and 50’s Lucy tended to be more on the cuter side of dressing, then when the 60’s come in she shifts to a more sophisticated style. Part of this is her age and the decade itself but I also think it was sort of a reinvention of herself.

30s. Another great decade on screen and off as I am really starting to love the 1930’s style and see shades of it coming back. I think of Lucy so much in pants in this decade. The look I most associate with her is the one she sports for most of Stage Door. Being that so much of this movie was based on stories of the actors themselves, I’m thinking they based her costumes on her real style.

A consistent theme of dress for Lucy that runs through all these decades is fur. That woman could wear anything in fur and pull it off. Think of how many times on screen and off you see Lucy wearing fur and looking so good in it.

Once you start seeing Lucy appear more and more on talk shows in the 70s/80s you notice that she wears pants a lot. I have a theory for this. As a woman when you sit in the skirt, especially pencil or aline it sort of goes up in length. When you are sitting at camera level you can accidently show more than you would like. Pants are great when you want to make sure you are not giving everyone a show and can concentrate more on what you are talking about instead of what you are or are not flashing. You also have the luxury of crossing your legs in pants, where a shorter skirt just spells disaster.

Sorry if I’m not too specific on any outfit in particular.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Claude you gave me a tough topic as I tend to watch more of Lucy in things as opposed to more candid/real life Lucy, especially 80’s Lucy.

80’s. My god can we get over the pantsuits. I think there were so many pantsuits for 2 reasons. It was the style at the time and they also are rather comfortable. Heck look at how much Hillary Clinton is known for her pantsuits. As far as dresses go I think it’s harder for an older woman to really find something glamorous and fitting to her age. I hear this talked about a lot on the current fashion shows. The what does the woman over 60 year wear? Now someone like Helen Mirren can knock it out, but it you don’t have the rocking bod any more what do you do? I notice that Lucy tended to wear a lot of high neck things. I was never much a fan of her stuff in the 80’s, but I’m also not a fan of much 80’s fashion. I do particularly love that TV Hall of Fame dress. Best dress of the 80’s. As far as those beige outfits, terrible. I’m fair skinned and can not wear beige. Not very many people can pull off that color. I don’t particularly like the Oscar dress but I gotta hand it to her for the slit though.

Yes, they were the style and any modern working woman found them easier than dresses, they were classy but a woman no longer had to wear a slip and stockings and just put on pants, so much easier, blame Kate Hepburn the lesbian for starting this sheeyit. Smoking and wearing slacks for women started in the thirties and were so forward thinking and modern that naturally, Lucy who was always forward thinking would go for that. My mom used to hate it when she saw her on a talk show coming out in slacks because she wanted her favorite stars to dress the part, long evening gowns were what the audience expected from their superstars. Of course Lucy, again like Hepburn, wore high neck outfits to hide the neck wrinkles. Irma herself said that gary asked her to ask Lucy to get her neck done, but she wouldn't as he wanted to not tell her the request came from him. What happened to that crap about her not getting stuff done because she did not heal properly, BULL as usual. The Hall of Fame black velvet dess you love so much was something she almost never went for, feminine, heavy, formal to the max. As for the Oscar dress. she let Jim Brochu pick it out for her and just switched the silver design to GOLD to match her hair better and it did. But again, she thought it weighed a ton and when she went for a fitting in her pajamas and tried it on, she had brought Tinker with her and told him to get away from her because if the dress ever fell on him, it would kill him. Yes, BEIGE was her worst color, she was much too pale for that BUT, i can see why she would pick them because BEIGE always looks elegant and expensive looking. Not the dress she wore to the Harvard Hasty Pudding shebang as that looked horrid and the type of thing you'd wear to go grocery shopping.

70’s. Too many caftans. How many brunches did she have to plan? Yes they were in style at the time, but she still had a great figure. I wish she would have shown it off more. I think she was a little more daring in some stuff she wore on HL (tighter skirts w/ slits, more form fitting tops) but not so much in off-screen life, which is odd since the other decades they tend to parallel.

Yes, but EVERYBODY in Hollywood was wearing them, they were IN and again, Lucy always went for what was IN at the time. Again, much easier to wear than a suit, nothing to worry about accessories either. Let's not forget she had been on Blackwell's worst dressed list in the sixties so everybody knew she had no time for shopping and ordered everything by how it looked, not necessarily on HER. If i could show you anything it would be the MINK dress she modeled on that Mike Douglas show. Hope one day that's released on DVD, she and gary co hosted for a week and she did a fashion show sequence that was to die for, much better than the MOD one in Lucy in London. I know i've said it a thousand times but Lucy said she would go to her closet for a fancy party somewhere and like Lucy Ricardo could not find anything suitable to wear, because when she was working, she really did not have time to shop, so you'd think that when her work schedule diminished, she would have had the time to pick more flattering clothes but no, she had asswipe gary picking them out, hence the aluminium foil dress, LOL!

Yes, but EVERYBODY in Hollywood was wearing them, they were IN and again, Lucy always went for what was IN at the time. Again, much easier to wear than a suit, nothing to worry about accessories either. Let's not forget she had been on Blackwell's worst dressed list in the sixties so everybody knew she had no time for shopping and ordered everything by how it looked, not necessarily on HER. If i could show you anything it would be the MINK dress she modeled on that Mike Douglas show. Hope one day that's released on DVD, she and gary co hosted for a week and she did a fashion show sequence that was to die for, much better than the MOD one in Lucy in London. I know i've said it a thousand times but Lucy said she would go to her closet for a fancy party somewhere and like Lucy Ricardo could not find anything suitable to wear, because when she was working, she really did not have time to shop, so you'd think that when her work schedule diminished, she would have had the time to pick more flattering clothes but no, she had asswipe gary picking them out, hence the aluminium foil dress, LOL!

Well I loved Lucy's clothes in the 60s, but I guess I'm thinking more of her on-screen stuff. Didn't she wear a lot of her TV stuff at home and about town, too, though?

Well I loved Lucy's clothes in the 60s, but I guess I'm thinking more of her on-screen stuff. Didn't she wear a lot of her TV stuff at home and about town, too, though?

Oh all the time, even wearing her Here's Lucy flowered silky dress in Yours mine and ours along with her red dress that she had on for her LUCY AT HOME series of photos. Like she wore her Emmy dresses on her shows too.

60’s. You have to lump the late 60’s into the 70’s and those caftans again. Now early 60’s I think she had some great style, but I think she was helped there with it backing up to the stuff that was being made for her in the shows and the movies. Any of those Edith Head things were great.

The 60's were the period where she was named worst dressed by Blackwell, but then again, so was Taylor, another woman who wore fifty styles together as they had no time to match everything and look perfect as they had more important things to do with their time. Maybe she hired Edith Head to finally show she COULD be dressed impeccably. Nobody ever dressed her better than Ms head did. The outfit she wore to the New York World's fair was perfection, but another one she had worn on her show, with Danny Kaye.

50’s. This sort of is like the early 60’s again. The on screen and off screen style was pretty similar. You see a lot of stuff from photo shoots, tv appearances, magazine ads with her in clothes that came right off the show or the movies.

Again, because she had more important things to care about than how she dressed. Loretta Young might have nothing better to do than focus on her gowns and the Gabors too, but not Lucy, she had IMPORTANT things to do.

A consistent theme of dress for Lucy that runs through all these decades is fur. That woman could wear anything in fur and pull it off. Think of how many times on screen and off you see Lucy wearing fur and looking so good in it.

Oh i so agree, back then it wasn't a crime to wear fur, it was also a sign of wealth, and she wore fur all the time but most importantly, she wore it well. Even in her shows and movies, she always showed the importance of wearing fur as a compliment to whatever she was wearing.

Ok, you said you weren't specific but how about that BLUE one from Variety Clubs? It was very similar in style to the Oscar one, slit up the wazoo and puffy sleeves, high neck, hid all the faults. Even the black velvet one you like so much had that frilly high neck, i forget what you call that in English. I think when she found a style she liked, she wore it to death. When in the old days she used to dye some outfits, shorten or lengthen them, later on in life, she just had stuff copied or made very similar to styles she liked. You haven't said a word about her sparkly things or those damned BOAs, many times she wore show biz type outfits with the sparkles and boas and other times she wore strange color combos like that orange and pink number for a Hope special. In the opening of Bob Hope's Love Affair with Lucy, they do a montage of her outfits when appearing on his shows.

• 10 months later...

Lucy: Oh, do you like my grey suit? :)

Claude and Annaleigh: You know we always have! :D

Lucy: <_<

:HALKING:

Didn't we determine the first and last time we saw this on-screen?

Later in life, she seemed to prefer pants.  I don't remember seeing her on a talk show in anything but.

Who is the woman between Lucy and Desi?

• 3 weeks later...

Archived