Revised Emmy Nominations

As mentioned, during the first three seasons of TLS, Emmy awards for acting were not separated by comedy and drama. In MY version they are and here are the revised best supporting actor/ress in a comedy. In my version there are a couple of Harper/Struthers ties.

Feel free to weigh in , but the decisions of the Emmy board (me) are FINAL!!

1962-63

Supporting actor in a comedy:

Gale Gordon (Dennis the Menace), Larry Keating (Mr. Ed), Ken Osmond (Beaver), Don Knotts,Frank Wilcox (B. Hillbillies), William Frawley (3 Sons)

The winner: LARRY KEATING

Supporting actress in a comedy: Barbara Billingsly (if Jane Wyatt gets THREE, why not June Cleaver?), Nancy Kulp (BHillbillies), Vivian Vance (TLS) , Bea Benedaret (B. Hillbillies), Harriet mcGibbon (B Hillbillies), Doris Packer (Dobie gillis)

Tie: VIVIAN VANCE and

BEA BENEDARET as Cousin Pearl, the best role of her career. Her character was instrumental in making BH the hit that it was. And since this is all made up, I proclaim that the 62-63 Emmy awards contain the Super Emmy they had for one year in the 70s, and the super Emmy goes to BEA BENEDARET.

1963-64

Actor: Charles Lane (P. Junction), Gale Gordon (TLS), Ronnie Howard, William Frawley (3 Sons) Don Knotts

Winner: GALE GORDON

Actress:

Jane Lewis (Hazel), Vivian Vance, Francis Bavier, Maudie Prickett (Hazel), Mary Wickes (The Lucy Show--why not?)

and the winner: another TIE:

JANE LEWIS and VIVIAN VANCE

1964-65

Actor: Frank Sutton (Gomer Pyle), Ronnie Howard, Gale gordon, Don Knotts, Dick York. This is such a tough one, because all 5 were brilliant, but because he was passed over (in my ficitional ceremony) and this was his best year as barney Fife, I have to go with

DON KNOTTS

Female: Vivian Vance, Jane Lewis, Alice Pearce, Agnes Moorehead, Francis Bavier and Natalie Schafer (Gilligan) Again a very tough choice, but I have to go with a tie between

ALICE PEARCE and FRANCIS BAVIER (we of the 1965 Emmy selection committee would not know they would both win in the subsequent two years)

We don't talk on this board much about "the Andy Griffith Show", but I think it was the most overlooked show in emmy history. Of its 8 seasons, you can dismiss the last three without Don Knotts; and the first season and a half when they portrayed Andy as a outsmarting yokel but the 3rd, 4th and 5th seasons were the absolute best series comedy TV had to offer: realistic, charming, characters with depth, at times touching, and FUNNY. The 5th season (Don's last) is my favorite.

AG was nominated for Best Comedy three times, but not in the years it was at its best, IMO (the 1st 2nd and 5th).

The fact that it was passed over in its three stellar seasons in favor of the likes of The Bill Dana Show, Farmers Daughter, and McHale's Navy was ridiculous. The scripts were great in these years and of course they were overlooked in favor of lesser efforts from Farmers Daughter, Red Skelton, Beverly Hillbillies and Car 54. Not knocking any of those (I have a vague memory of Daughter, so maybe it was better than I remember), but none of these had the class and depth of a good Andy Griffith script.

Also overlooked was the soft-spoken yet thoroughly professional performance of Andy Griffith, who seemed to be (but was not) playing himself.

As mentioned, during the first three seasons of TLS, Emmy awards for acting were not separated by comedy and drama. In MY version they are and here are the revised best supporting actor/ress in a comedy. In my version there are a couple of Harper/Struthers ties.

Feel free to weigh in , but the decisions of the Emmy board (me) are FINAL!!

1962-63

Supporting actor in a comedy:

Gale Gordon (Dennis the Menace), Larry Keating (Mr. Ed), Ken Osmond (Beaver), Don Knotts,Frank Wilcox (B. Hillbillies), William Frawley (3 Sons)

The winner: LARRY KEATING

Supporting actress in a comedy: Barbara Billingsly (if Jane Wyatt gets THREE, why not June Cleaver?), Nancy Kulp (BHillbillies), Vivian Vance (TLS) , Bea Benedaret (B. Hillbillies), Harriet mcGibbon (B Hillbillies), Doris Packer (Dobie gillis)

BEA BENEDARET as Cousin Pearl, the best role of her career. Her character was instrumental in making BH the hit that it was. And since this is all made up, I proclaim that the 62-63 Emmy awards contain the Super Emmy they had for one year in the 70s, and the super Emmy goes to BEA BENEDARET.

1963-64

Actor: Charles Lane (P. Junction), Gale Gordon (TLS), Ronnie Howard, William Frawley (3 Sons) Don Knotts

Winner: GALE GORDON

Actress:

Jane Lewis (Hazel), Vivian Vance, Francis Bavier, Maudie Prickett (Hazel), Mary Wickes (The Lucy Show--why not?)

and the winner: another TIE:

JANE LEWIS and VIVIAN VANCE

1964-65

Actor: Frank Sutton (Gomer Pyle), Ronnie Howard, Gale gordon, Don Knotts, Dick York. This is such a tough one, because all 5 were brilliant, but because he was passed over (in my ficitional ceremony) and this was his best year as barney Fife, I have to go with

DON KNOTTS

Female: Vivian Vance, Jane Lewis, Alice Pearce, Agnes Moorehead, Francis Bavier and Natalie Schafer (Gilligan) Again a very tough choice, but I have to go with a tie between

ALICE PEARCE and FRANCIS BAVIER (we of the 1965 Emmy selection committee would not know they would both win in the subsequent two years)

We don't talk on this board much about "the Andy Griffith Show", but I think it was the most overlooked show in emmy history. Of its 8 seasons, you can dismiss the last three without Don Knotts; and the first season and a half when they portrayed Andy as a outsmarting yokel but the 3rd, 4th and 5th seasons were the absolute best series comedy TV had to offer: realistic, charming, characters with depth, at times touching, and FUNNY. The 5th season (Don's last) is my favorite.

AG was nominated for Best Comedy three times, but not in the years it was at its best, IMO (the 1st 2nd and 5th).

The fact that it was passed over in its three stellar seasons in favor of the likes of The Bill Dana Show, Farmers Daughter, and McHale's Navy was ridiculous. The scripts were great in these years and of course they were overlooked in favor of lesser efforts from Farmers Daughter, Red Skelton, Beverly Hillbillies and Car 54. Not knocking any of those (I have a vague memory of Daughter, so maybe it was better than I remember), but none of these had the class and depth of a good Andy Griffith script.

Also overlooked was the soft-spoken yet thoroughly professional performance of Andy Griffith, who seemed to be (but was not) playing himself.

Never understood why Andy Griffith did not do better on dvd also, such a classic.

Hey since I can't vote in your "Emmys" consider this the Golden Globes!! * are my wins

1962/63:

Actor

* Max Baer, TBH (as much for "Jethrine" as for Jethro, maybe more - unbelievably hilarious (and weirdly believable) lampoon of an Amazon-sized mountain girl)

Raymond Bailey, TBH

Don DeFore, Hazel

Ronny Howard, TAGS (always found him funnier and more natural in the early years of the show)

Don Knotts, TAGS

Actress

* Bea Benaderet, TBH

Nancy Kulp, TBH

Harriet MacGibbon, TBH

Rose Marie, TDVDS

Vivian Vance, TLS

1963/1964:

Actors

Morey Amsterdam, TAGS

Max Baer, TBH

Raymond Bailey, TBH

* Gale Gordon, TLS

Don Knotts, TAGS

Actress

Frances Baiver, TAGS

* Nancy Kulp, TBH

* Harriet MacGibbon, TBH

Rose Marie, TDVDS

Vivian Vance, TLS

1964/65:

Actor

Jim Backus, GI

* Al Lewis, Munsters

Raymond Bailey, TAGS

Hank Patterson, GA

Frank Sutton, GP

Actress

Nancy Kulp, TBH

Rose Marie, TDVDS

Agnes Moorehead, Bewitched

* Natalie Schafer, GI

Hope Summers, TAGS

* Vivian Vance, TLS (tie in the nominations, hence six, as well as the win!)

Mind you like a true Golden Globe voter I'm voting for my personal favorite/most splashy performer of the year, not necessarily the best performance of the year. :lucycoy:

WELL...much as I like TAGS, I beg to differ concerning it vs TBH. TBH was so just awesome, creative, and just plain hilarious, I think only ILL reached greater heights as an iconic sitcom, at it's best it's like a collaboration between Preston Sturges and Al Capp, or maybe Mel Brooks remaking Ma and Pa Kettle with uncredited script assist from Chaplin. Only TBH and ILL can make me laugh at episodes I seen 50 times like I've never seen them before! The best of TAGS can be sweet, touching, and yes funny but I prefer the wild satire and delirious acting in the best of TBH which is so sharp and some of television's finest moments.

Hey since I can't vote in your "Emmys" consider this the Golden Globes!! * are my wins

1962/63:

Actor

* Max Baer, TBH (as much for "Jethrine" as for Jethro, maybe more - unbelievably hilarious (and weirdly believable) lampoon of an Amazon-sized mountain girl)

Raymond Bailey, TBH

Don DeFore, Hazel

Ronny Howard, TAGS (always found him funnier and more natural in the early years of the show)

Don Knotts, TAGS

Actress

* Bea Benaderet, TBH

Nancy Kulp, TBH

Harriet MacGibbon, TBH

Rose Marie, TDVDS

Vivian Vance, TLS

1963/1964:

Actors

Morey Amsterdam, TAGS

Max Baer, TBH

Raymond Bailey, TBH

* Gale Gordon, TLS

Don Knotts, TAGS

Actress

Frances Baiver, TAGS

* Nancy Kulp, TBH

* Harriet MacGibbon, TBH

Rose Marie, TDVDS

Vivian Vance, TLS

1964/65:

Actor

Jim Backus, GI

* Al Lewis, Munsters

Raymond Bailey, TAGS

Hank Patterson, GA

Frank Sutton, GP

Actress

Nancy Kulp, TBH

Rose Marie, TDVDS

Agnes Moorehead, Bewitched

* Natalie Schafer, GI

Hope Summers, TAGS

* Vivian Vance, TLS (tie in the nominations, hence six, as well as the win!)

Mind you like a true Golden Globe voter I'm voting for my personal favorite/most splashy performer of the year, not necessarily the best performance of the year. :lucycoy:

I'm sure Max Bear will send you a thank you note for that. Did you get any bribes? Unfortunately, the shows you mention never got Emmy consideration, they were considered fluff but they were all popular with us viewers though.

The Emmy board regrets its grievous error and is sending a string of real pearls to Barbara Billingsly, but in re-tallying our nomination numbers, we have to make a correction.

1962-63

Supporting actress in a comedy: Mary Wickes as Esther Cathcart (Dennis the Menace), Nancy Kulp (BHillbillies), Vivian Vance (TLS) , Bea Benedaret (B. Hillbillies), Harriet mcGibbon (B Hillbillies), Doris Packer (Dobie gillis)

If Raquel Welch can win a Golden Globe over Lucy, then Max Baer can win over Don Knotts!

Agree about Max as Jethrine....hilarious. I was always amused by paul Henning's reason for dropping the Jethrine character. "It was too broad" (??!!) Was there anything too broad for this show? It's possible Max Baer's masculinity was threatened because he WAS believable (as you say, WEIRDLY). I agree that BH was great....for a while anyway. They started to lose me when Granny thought Elly's skin diving boyfriend was an actual frog/man, etc. I'm watching the very early episodes on ME and can see why it was such a runaway hit. Irene was so great as Granny. I wish they had kept her character the same instead of making her SO silly. The characters were more real at the beginning.

BH did get some Emmy attention. Nominated as Outstanding Humor Program in its first year. Irene was up for the first 2 years. Paul Henning got a writing nomination for season 1. Lost to Dick Van Dyke, Shirley Booth/Mary Tyler Moore and Carl Reiner. It's amazing that he was churning out those scripts all by himself.

1962/63:

Actor

Raymond Bailey, TBH

Don DeFore, Hazel

Don Knotts, TAGS

If Raquel Welch can win a Golden Globe over Lucy, then Max Baer can win over Don Knotts!

Agree about Max as Jethrine....hilarious. I was always amused by paul Henning's reason for dropping the Jethrine character. "It was too broad" (??!!) Was there anything too broad for this show? It's possible Max Baer's masculinity was threatened because he WAS believable (as you say, WEIRDLY). I agree that BH was great....for a while anyway. They started to lose me when Granny thought Elly's skin diving boyfriend was an actual frog/man, etc. I'm watching the very early episodes on ME and can see why it was such a runaway hit. Irene was so great as Granny. I wish they had kept her character the same instead of making her SO silly. The characters were more real at the beginning.

BH did get some Emmy attention. Nominated as Outstanding Humor Program in its first year. Irene was up for the first 2 years. Paul Henning got a writing nomination for season 1. Lost to Dick Van Dyke, Shirley Booth/Mary Tyler Moore and Carl Reiner. It's amazing that he was churning out those scripts all by himself.

Exactly what happened with my beloved Hillbillies, the four hicks got smarter and the city people got dumber by the end, like Roseanne, it's later seasons just weren't any good. When i saw Drysdale sharing a bed with Elli's gorilla, well, i stopped watching. But in the beginning, it was just the best.

Archived