Funniest NON-PHYSICAL Scenes

Very true! My favorite is her "subtle performance" on the phone at Don Loper's.

Oh yeah, terrific, when she wanted to talk to Ricky Ricardo, the STAR of Don Juan, and she was the STAR's wife. Or how about when she was Ricky's agent and she wanted to speak to the Vice President in charge of Ricky Ricardo and then later, that brilliant "IMPOSTER WHO SAID THAT RIDICULOUS THING AND SHE WAS SAYING IT ALL OVER TOWN."

Agree about "Housewarming", the best of the connecticut episodes. Ethel is wonderful. In addition to "I have sufficient", there's that "um-hum" she does while taking a sip of tea/coffee; AND that little cackle when Betty says "Lucy, will you get little Ethel Potter and me some more (coffee?)" ...and all those lines aimed at Betty (the Elsa Maxwell of Westport) for not inviting the Mertzes to her party.

This ep also shows what a great actress Lucy is. When it's finally dawning on her that there is indeed no surprise party, we see in VERY subtle ways that she know it but she still wants to believe it, but is progressively less convincing as she's putting the LucyRicardo-power of positive thinking spin on it to Ricky......until "That Ethel's a tricky one. It's just like her to......" (can't remember rest of sentence) and at that moment her optimism dissolves into a cry, one NOT done for laughs, but much more effective.

There just wasn't another show that could combine broad comedy and pathos. Certainly not then. Maybe there's been one since, I don't know.

Some famous person (maybe Andy Warhol?) once said of I Love Lucy. "She could be all sophisticated on the phone with "This is Mrs. Ricardo of 623 East 68th street" and the next moment she's dangling from the ledge. No one makes this transformation like Lucy."

ALL TRUE, GUESS THAT'S WHY THE GREAT ORSON WELLES CALLED HER THE GREATEST LIVING ACTRESS OF HIS TIME.

Another great scene is the opening of Lucy's Burglar Alarm between Lucy, Kim, Craig and the burglar. Hilarious dialogue. It's a shame the rest of the episode fell a bit flat.

Also, Mooney acting as interpreter between Lucy and Umberto in Lucy Meets a Millionaire.

Another scene from Lucy Tells the Truth, when she tries to make Ricky mad by saying she won't take back the hat she just bought. Her expression right before she says that -- you can read her mind before she even says it.

And what was that line she said to Ethel about marriage, something like "I never realized when we said 'I do' that there would be so many things we don't!"

Oh, & when the guys are watching Little Ricky & he toddles out of the apartment -- it was funny when everyone thought they had him but then lost him & Fred saving the day at the last minute. :)

Another scene from Lucy Tells the Truth, when she tries to make Ricky mad by saying she won't take back the hat she just bought. Her expression right before she says that -- you can read her mind before she even says it.

And what was that line she said to Ethel about marriage, something like "I never realized when we said 'I do' that there would be so many things we don't!"

Oh, & when the guys are watching Little Ricky & he toddles out of the apartment -- it was funny when everyone thought they had him but then lost him & Fred saving the day at the last minute. :)

Except when you think there were stairs in that apartment building and the baby could have gone down them steps. Then you could have said to little Ricky, FALL DOWN GO BOOM? Hey, if you want clever little lines instead of comedy, how about her famous JUST JIGGLE IT A LITTLE, IT'LL OPEN?

Archived