Speaking of Guest Stars ...

I've been watching Season 6 of TLS & was struck by how many guest stars she had on her shows, many with recurring roles. It made me wonder how Lucy remembered the names of SO MANY people? I'm sure she understood that these actors were so thrilled to be working with her, & might be hurt if she didn't remember their names. But that's hundreds of names; think of all the people Lucy knew personally & professionally.

Did she ever use generic nicknames on the set? I think someone mentioned she used "Doll" a lot.

I've been watching Season 6 of TLS & was struck by how many guest stars she had on her shows, many with recurring roles. It made me wonder how Lucy remembered the names of SO MANY people? I'm sure she understood that these actors were so thrilled to be working with her, & might be hurt if she didn't remember their names. But that's hundreds of names; think of all the people Lucy knew personally & professionally.

Did she ever use generic nicknames on the set? I think someone mentioned she used "Doll" a lot.

I think she used DOLL as a sincere form of endearment, she used it for Desi and i heard her use it when describing Desi jr's first wife, a porcelain doll. Oh and for her granddaughter too of course.

Cue cards! ;)

It’s funny but I never had an opinion either way on Bob Cummings when he did the Japan episode of LDCH, but I love him in both HL episodes. Not sure if it is just good scripts or he is sort of goofy charming. Ethel Merman is a hoot in both LS episodes and they were smart to make that a 2 parter. Favorite Hollywood celebrity is Van for the beautiful dance and just how relaxed Lucy seems to be working with him. When she works with friends you can feel the easiness, same with Dean Martin.

Favorite love to hate guest is Joan Crawford. Don’t know if I have watched Mommy Dearest too much or read the backstage stories too many times but I don’t really like this woman and I love how Lucy, Viv and Gale sort of just steamroll over her in the musical play. Like Joan is in some other show completely and got left behind.

If we're talking about any quest star I would say Ann Sothern.

If we're talking about guest star who played themselves, I nominate John Wayne (for BOTH episodes) and Dean Martin (for BOTH appearances ("Dates" and "Gets Lucky").

It's hard to pick just one -- so much talent to choose from :) .

His real name escapes me at the moment, but the actor who played Mr Merriweather & Mario from Italy is a favorite of mine. He was also a nervous tenant when Lucy & Desi thought they would be away for the summer. He played his parts so believably.

Archived