Lucille Ball's real life personality

chedderchester

How come she never tried to be funny? I mean, on talk shows where she obviously played herself, she made some funny one liners. Maybe she wanted to save it for her fans and when the cameras were rolling. In the bloopers she said funny stuff too. Maybe she thought her various Lucy characters were too screwy and felt better being Lucille Ball. Who knows.

Also, what about Viv? I think she was a sweet lady from what I've read but she also had a lot of personal problems.

How come she never tried to be funny? I mean, on talk shows where she obviously played herself, she made some funny one liners. Maybe she wanted to save it for her fans and when the cameras were rolling. In the bloopers she said funny stuff too. Maybe she thought her various Lucy characters were too screwy and felt better being Lucille Ball. Who knows.

Also, what about Viv? I think she was a sweet lady from what I've read but she also had a lot of personal problems.

Whaaa? :huh: Lucy herself said she didn't "think funny," but I think she came off in interviews very charming and witty at times. What did you expect, that Lucy would trip over a step in the studio or fall out of her chair? That's just the way her personality was, she couldn't be "Lucy" 24/7. That was a character. She was an actress, she acted goofy for what was written for her in the script.

What about Viv? She was funny too in her own way in interviews. Of course she had personal problems, almost all of us do, yet we can be funny as well. A lot of one's sense of humor comes from depression, you laugh and pretend everything's okay and act funny to cheer others up.

I have never understood the whole "Lucille Ball wasn't funny in real life" arguement. I mean WHO CARES? She was an actress, a comedienne, and I for one am glad she wasn't one of those obnoxious stand-up comedians who cannot turn if off for a second.

But it does irritate when people say this in a way to somehow discount her comedy talent. I can assure you Chaplin and Keaton weren't "funny in real life" either, nor any truly creative comedian that I can think of.

Lucy couldn't win in this arguement. If she in fact had gone on the talk shows acting silly and goofy people would have snapped "Oh man, she can't be real for a minute" or said she was pathetic never letting go of the Lucy character.

I for one LOVE her bluntly honest appearances on talk shows, so refreshing when most "stars" make sure the mask never slips for a second when being interviewed.

Cheddar, maybe she was funny in her private life, but we just don't know about it. I think the bloopers you mention are a good example of Lucille Ball having fun & being funny inbetween takes of playing one of her Lucy characters.

I wish there were more interviews of Viv, to give us more glimpses into who she was when not acting. In the few I've seen I've been surprised at how much faster she talks, how her words run together. I read the biographies about her & yes, she did have a lot of obstacles in her life. It is nice to know that she was able to do the work she loved & that she seemed genuinely happy in her later years.

I have never understood the whole "Lucille Ball wasn't funny in real life" arguement. I mean WHO CARES? She was an actress, a comedienne, and I for one am glad she wasn't one of those obnoxious stand-up comedians who cannot turn if off for a second.

But it does irritate when people say this in a way to somehow discount her comedy talent. I can assure you Chaplin and Keaton weren't "funny in real life" either, nor any truly creative comedian that I can think of.

Lucy couldn't win in this arguement. If she in fact had gone on the talk shows acting silly and goofy people would have snapped "Oh man, she can't be real for a minute" or said she was pathetic never letting go of the Lucy character.

I for one LOVE her bluntly honest appearances on talk shows, so refreshing when most "stars" make sure the mask never slips for a second when being interviewed.

I think you hit it on the head!

I also think she means thinking funny, like "TV comedy writers" funny- like, finding jokes from innuendoes of every day moments and experiences, like a Don Rickles maybe?

BUT I think she was a lil wrong, because she did THINK funny, only instinctively, at least when playing her Lucy characters. Things that weren't even thought to be written, she made hilarious in rehearsal from what she added from her own creative funny bone lol Im sure she even did magical things on the night of show that were instinctive, unprepared, but HILARIOUS-

IMO- I think she knew when to throw a facial expression in to get the right reaction from the audience, she knew the body gesture or movement to get a laugh, or how to change her voice to deliver a line to perfection- so she did Think funny, but delivered in a different way- her tipsy Lucy impersonation for a Heres Lucy promo is a brilliant example of her instinctive quick wit and comedic timing.

her tipsy Lucy impersonation for a Heres Lucy promo is a brilliant example of her instinctive quick wit and comedic timing.

OH yeah, I forgot about that! I was wondering, why the heck was she drunk for this promo? I knew she wasn't REALLY (did she often drink or not?) but it was still funny and left me wondering what her motivation was. This is on the 6th season, right?

Perfectly said.

Archived