A Trip to Jamestown

I'm planning on going to Jamestown hopefully within the next year or two with my mom. I was wondering how much a trip to Jamestown burns in your pocket. I know gas will be my biggest thing. From Wisconsin to Jamestown is about 9 hours, not bad. But what does your price for gas, hotels, admission, food, everything usually round out to for you Jamestown goers? I just want to hear more options! :) Also what's your favorite hotel with good rates?

I know this is a random topic but I wanna hear options! :D

I'm planning on going to Jamestown hopefully within the next year or two with my mom. I was wondering how much a trip to Jamestown burns in your pocket. I know gas will be my biggest thing. From Wisconsin to Jamestown is about 9 hours, not bad. But what does your price for gas, hotels, admission, food, everything usually round out to for you Jamestown goers? I just want to hear more options! :) Also what's your favorite hotel with good rates?

I know this is a random topic but I wanna hear options! :D

I always stay at the Best Western for a number of reasons. It's not that expensive. It is between $100 and $120/night depending on the time of year. Sometimes, such as when the festivals roll around, they have special "Lucy" rates for people who are coming specifically for Lucy-related events, it is in direct line with most of the attractions (the hill up to the other hotel can get to be annoying if you're going up and down it eight times a day for three days. LOL), and I haven't trusted the hotel at the top of the hill since its days at the Holiday Inn when its parking garages kept falling down. :lucyshock: The fact that it seems to change hands every year doesn't seem to help matters. What is it called this year?

One thing in the questionable hotel's favour -- it has an awesome painting of Lucy in the lobby!

I’ve been a couple times, all by once was for LucyFest so there are other money factors you figure then.

Gas-Can’t help you with that one, but it takes us about 5 hours driving across PA and I usually need to fill up once I get into town.

Hotel-I’ve stayed at the Holiday Inn (which I don’t think is the Holiday Inn anymore? Ok Brock confirmed this. Only bad experience I had was last time the free wireless wasn’t working and we switched rooms after I had unpacked everything and yes the parking garage wasn’t even usable at that time) and in the 90’s when I would go the Comfort Inn on the way out of town. During Lucy Fest the preferred hotel of the Loungers is the Best Western. This is right downtown and you can walk to the museum, etc… I don’t know about rates as I have not stayed there, just hung out.

Now here is where the travel agent comes out. Look on all the travel sites for deals as well as the hotel site itself. Depending on when and where you book you can get good deals. The other thing you might want to look into is looking at accommodations within the county and the lake area. This is a vacation area and you could probably score a nice Bed and Breakfast or house rental for the week. If you are not going for a LucyFest time period this is what I would do as you will not really need to be downtown for 3 days straight with quick access. If you are going for a LucyFest just book the Best Western and be done with it. Plan to have a car as you are going to need one to get around.

Ticket costs- If you are going for LucyFest plan on a bunch of money for tickets to all the events. If you are not coming at that time then check the museum website for admission prices. Don’t forget money to buy Lucy stuff as well.

Food-I’m from South Central PA and we have a lower cost of living than being outside a major city, so I never thought the food prices were high and some places rather cheap. There is a town right outside Jamestown (sort of West Jamestown if it existed) called Lakewood. There are a ton of chain restaurants there and a pretty decent Wegmans (which is this really awesome grocery store everyone on the east coast goes gaga for). Charlie and I one year drove up the lake to Mayville to explore and ate at some nice place on the lake up around there. Apparently it was where you go before the prom as there were lots of dressed up teenagers there.

If you have time to explore and depending on the season check out the Chautauqua Institute, lots of interesting stuff always going on there. Costs and events will be on their website. I think you can also stay here but be warned it might be pricy, and on the earthy, crunchy side (like no tv’s, not sure if the cottages have AC, etc…)

If you are looking for free things to do you can take your own tour of all the Lucy things in town and all the places that she mentions in books, interviews, etc.. I know the museum has the trolley tours with the major attractions on, but I liked one year exploring on my own. We drove up to Mayville (the county seat) because I wanted to see how far it was from Jamestown. Lucy says that after the shooting her Grandpa had to stay there for a year. I wanted to see exactly how you got there and how far it really was. The drive up along the lake was nice too.

Spend time in Celeron and think of Lucy running around there as a kid. This is such a small little village squeezed in between 2 towns, miss a street sign and you will never find the place. Go take your own driving tours of all the places Lucy lived. Try and find all the business that are and aren’t there anymore that she has mentioned, the street named after the Hunt side of her family, the store where her mom worked, or all the places that they went to on the 1956 Forever Darling tour.

Go on your own to the cemetery so you can spend as much time as you want there. So here’s the funny thing about that. I never have been to the cemetery all the times I’ve been to Jamestown both when Lucy was there and when she wasn’t, but I made my parents (when I was a teenager and we were vacationing in LA) do a trip to Forest Lawn so I could go visit Lucy. I made them stay in the car once I found the location. And then when I lived pretty much next door to the place for 5 months in 1999 I never went over. I’m glad I did that one time, but I think I don’t like cemeteries hence why I have not been again.

My first trip was to the festival back in 1996. This was the year they opened the museum. I look back on my scrapbook I have of the festival then and other than a few events it didn’t have a ton of Lucy stuff going on (compared to the later 90’s and through most recently when I need a spreadsheet to plan the weekend) , but I felt all weekend like I was surrounded by Lucy. I think it was my first experience at anything where I was seeing so much of her and being around other people with the same love that made it seem like something so much bigger than it was. It may have also been that I was seeing the town she came from and the places she lived that made it more special. Like I started to see how the place she grew up figured into who she became and how she never forgot the place. It may also have been that I was a wide eyed 17 year old and not some jaded 34 year old like I am now. I’m glad I got to experience my first gathering of Lucy fans in mass here. I made it to the LA Fan Club convention the following summer and it was a whole other experience in itself.

Over the years I have been to Jamestown with my parents, best friend and husband. The trip with my best friend was sort of interesting. She was going to college north of Pittsburgh and I was at Ithaca in the middle of NY, so we decided since we were about 2 hours out to meet up for the weekend and I was going to take her on a Lucy tour. I remember driving around on Saturday night and Liz says “So what would have Lucy done on a Saturday night?” Best part was I had just taken my car to college and took off for the weekend and didn’t bother to tell my parents we were doing this (I was 19 but living in the dorms, so just starting to break free). I told my roommate if my mom called (this was before everyone had cell phones) that I was editing all weekend and would call her back Sunday night. Turns out my friend’s mom spilled the beans a week later. Oh and I was using the new credit card I got for emergencies only to pay for the hotel. Hey it was a Lucy emergency.

My parents went to a few festivals with me, mostly as a teenager/college kid. After the first year there my mom must have gotten the Lucy spark as that fall when “Love Lucy” hit the bookstores, I bought it on the day it was released but didn’t get a chance to read it as I had to go to school the next day. My mom was off and I come home to find she read the whole book.

The first year I took my now husband, then boyfriend with me to a Lucy Fest was back in 2003. He asks me if it is like Comic Con, or a Star Trek convention and if people dressed up. I told him no and that at most you will see many Lucy t-shirts. Well that is the year they started the mascarade ball so that went well. Charlie says that if they have this again he wants to go as Frank Nelson as the train conductor. There was this one girl there who was dressed as 50’s Lucy and her costume contest number was #43 and for some reason he really dug this chick. Two years later we go and low and behold he finds #43 again. So we told her the story about him liking her 2 years before. That first year Charlie also got to sit next to our last remaining Borden sister at the mascarade thing, so he strikes up a conversation with her about mirror twins and other twin related anomalies. I have to laugh as Charlie always finds the interesting moments of these festivals. The last one we were to he was up in the balcony during Lucie’s concert taking pictures. Well that’s where all the VIP’s were sitting so he is hanging out up there before the show starts. Viv’s sister Lou Ann is there that year. He starts up a conversation with her that turned into them talking about their favorite pain relieving cream. I guess this is what the spouse of the non-fan does. He never did get called up for the trivia contest but I’m sure he would have given some crazy answers.

Definitely stay at the Best Western. It's within walking distance of the Center and many great local restaurants (e.g. The Pub and the Taco Hut). A car's a good thing to have too so you can go to Celoron, other restaurants, and local sites. Do stop by the Fenton History Center - only about 1 mile south of the Center - as it'll give you a good overview of the local history and there's (as of the last time I visited it) a room dedicated to Lucy. Lakeview Cemetery, where Lucy and her family are buried, is only about 2 miles north of the Center, and the family plot is a great vist.

Annaleigh, thanks so much for posting this topic :) ! I've never been to Jamestown but there is a really, really good possibility I may get there this fall. Not sure yet if we will be flying or driving.

And many thanks to Taylor, Brock, Luvsbway & MaryJaneFan for all the info B) . I'm printing it out & saving it with my travel stuff for future reference.

I’ve been a couple times, all by once was for LucyFest so there are other money factors you figure then.

Gas-Can’t help you with that one, but it takes us about 5 hours driving across PA and I usually need to fill up once I get into town.

Hotel-I’ve stayed at the Holiday Inn (which I don’t think is the Holiday Inn anymore? Ok Brock confirmed this. Only bad experience I had was last time the free wireless wasn’t working and we switched rooms after I had unpacked everything and yes the parking garage wasn’t even usable at that time) and in the 90’s when I would go the Comfort Inn on the way out of town. During Lucy Fest the preferred hotel of the Loungers is the Best Western. This is right downtown and you can walk to the museum, etc… I don’t know about rates as I have not stayed there, just hung out.

Now here is where the travel agent comes out. Look on all the travel sites for deals as well as the hotel site itself. Depending on when and where you book you can get good deals. The other thing you might want to look into is looking at accommodations within the county and the lake area. This is a vacation area and you could probably score a nice Bed and Breakfast or house rental for the week. If you are not going for a LucyFest time period this is what I would do as you will not really need to be downtown for 3 days straight with quick access. If you are going for a LucyFest just book the Best Western and be done with it. Plan to have a car as you are going to need one to get around.

Ticket costs- If you are going for LucyFest plan on a bunch of money for tickets to all the events. If you are not coming at that time then check the museum website for admission prices. Don’t forget money to buy Lucy stuff as well.

Food-I’m from South Central PA and we have a lower cost of living than being outside a major city, so I never thought the food prices were high and some places rather cheap. There is a town right outside Jamestown (sort of West Jamestown if it existed) called Lakewood. There are a ton of chain restaurants there and a pretty decent Wegmans (which is this really awesome grocery store everyone on the east coast goes gaga for). Charlie and I one year drove up the lake to Mayville to explore and ate at some nice place on the lake up around there. Apparently it was where you go before the prom as there were lots of dressed up teenagers there.

If you have time to explore and depending on the season check out the Chautauqua Institute, lots of interesting stuff always going on there. Costs and events will be on their website. I think you can also stay here but be warned it might be pricy, and on the earthy, crunchy side (like no tv’s, not sure if the cottages have AC, etc…)

If you are looking for free things to do you can take your own tour of all the Lucy things in town and all the places that she mentions in books, interviews, etc.. I know the museum has the trolley tours with the major attractions on, but I liked one year exploring on my own. We drove up to Mayville (the county seat) because I wanted to see how far it was from Jamestown. Lucy says that after the shooting her Grandpa had to stay there for a year. I wanted to see exactly how you got there and how far it really was. The drive up along the lake was nice too.

Spend time in Celeron and think of Lucy running around there as a kid. This is such a small little village squeezed in between 2 towns, miss a street sign and you will never find the place. Go take your own driving tours of all the places Lucy lived. Try and find all the business that are and aren’t there anymore that she has mentioned, the street named after the Hunt side of her family, the store where her mom worked, or all the places that they went to on the 1956 Forever Darling tour.

Go on your own to the cemetery so you can spend as much time as you want there. So here’s the funny thing about that. I never have been to the cemetery all the times I’ve been to Jamestown both when Lucy was there and when she wasn’t, but I made my parents (when I was a teenager and we were vacationing in LA) do a trip to Forest Lawn so I could go visit Lucy. I made them stay in the car once I found the location. And then when I lived pretty much next door to the place for 5 months in 1999 I never went over. I’m glad I did that one time, but I think I don’t like cemeteries hence why I have not been again.

My first trip was to the festival back in 1996. This was the year they opened the museum. I look back on my scrapbook I have of the festival then and other than a few events it didn’t have a ton of Lucy stuff going on (compared to the later 90’s and through most recently when I need a spreadsheet to plan the weekend) , but I felt all weekend like I was surrounded by Lucy. I think it was my first experience at anything where I was seeing so much of her and being around other people with the same love that made it seem like something so much bigger than it was. It may have also been that I was seeing the town she came from and the places she lived that made it more special. Like I started to see how the place she grew up figured into who she became and how she never forgot the place. It may also have been that I was a wide eyed 17 year old and not some jaded 34 year old like I am now. I’m glad I got to experience my first gathering of Lucy fans in mass here. I made it to the LA Fan Club convention the following summer and it was a whole other experience in itself.

Over the years I have been to Jamestown with my parents, best friend and husband. The trip with my best friend was sort of interesting. She was going to college north of Pittsburgh and I was at Ithaca in the middle of NY, so we decided since we were about 2 hours out to meet up for the weekend and I was going to take her on a Lucy tour. I remember driving around on Saturday night and Liz says “So what would have Lucy done on a Saturday night?” Best part was I had just taken my car to college and took off for the weekend and didn’t bother to tell my parents we were doing this (I was 19 but living in the dorms, so just starting to break free). I told my roommate if my mom called (this was before everyone had cell phones) that I was editing all weekend and would call her back Sunday night. Turns out my friend’s mom spilled the beans a week later. Oh and I was using the new credit card I got for emergencies only to pay for the hotel. Hey it was a Lucy emergency.

My parents went to a few festivals with me, mostly as a teenager/college kid. After the first year there my mom must have gotten the Lucy spark as that fall when “Love Lucy” hit the bookstores, I bought it on the day it was released but didn’t get a chance to read it as I had to go to school the next day. My mom was off and I come home to find she read the whole book.

The first year I took my now husband, then boyfriend with me to a Lucy Fest was back in 2003. He asks me if it is like Comic Con, or a Star Trek convention and if people dressed up. I told him no and that at most you will see many Lucy t-shirts. Well that is the year they started the mascarade ball so that went well. Charlie says that if they have this again he wants to go as Frank Nelson as the train conductor. There was this one girl there who was dressed as 50’s Lucy and her costume contest number was #43 and for some reason he really dug this chick. Two years later we go and low and behold he finds #43 again. So we told her the story about him liking her 2 years before. That first year Charlie also got to sit next to our last remaining Borden sister at the mascarade thing, so he strikes up a conversation with her about mirror twins and other twin related anomalies. I have to laugh as Charlie always finds the interesting moments of these festivals. The last one we were to he was up in the balcony during Lucie’s concert taking pictures. Well that’s where all the VIP’s were sitting so he is hanging out up there before the show starts. Viv’s sister Lou Ann is there that year. He starts up a conversation with her that turned into them talking about their favorite pain relieving cream. I guess this is what the spouse of the non-fan does. He never did get called up for the trivia contest but I’m sure he would have given some crazy answers.

We have the definitive answer right here! lol

That's one of the things I like about Charlie -- you never know where the hell you're going to end up when starting a conversation. lol

What a WONDERFUL re-cap about your many years' visits....everywhere Lucy! I just loved it! I was holding out commenting about my home-town 'area' to see what others would have to say, and I believe that you have hit the nail on the head with every comment!

Thanks for it....Love, JK

Thank you. I knew you could offer some more good stuff to do both Lucy and non-Lucy related so feel free to offer advice too.

I didn't mention that one trip I took with my girlfriend we were able to drive around the Chautauqua Institute (the season had not started yet) and found it very interesting. I've read a little history of the place and found out that other places like this got popular around the country at the time. We have a place in PA here called Mt. Gretna that was built after Chautauqua.

• 2 weeks later...

Buffalo Airport is 90 miles or so, north of Jamestown; easy drive on NYS Thruway to exit at Fredonia, Route 60; then, about 29 miles, more or less; if you can get decent flights, come into the Jamestown Airport (Continental, I believe is the carrier service these days); that's just outside the City; and an easy 6 miles, more or less, straight shot into Jamestown via Route 60. The above suggestions for overnights are listed above in other posts.... Good luck; looking forward to meeting you. Love, JK

Thanks for the info, Joyce. Knowing that major airlines can fly into Jamestown Airport makes me want to fly directly there instead of having to do the drive from Buffalo. There is a small airport near me that only flies small planes in & out so I wasn't sure if the Jamestown airport was a small one like that, too.

I'm looking forward to meeting you, too! :)

• 5 months later...

I'm bummed. It looks like my trip to Jamestown in early October will not happen. My dear friend who stays in our house & pet sits for us when we travel needs surgery. Unless a lot of things align in our favor it looks like my visit to the Land of Lucy will be in 2014 instead.

(Joyce, I'll PM you if by some miracle it works out that we can get there next month after all.)

Some questions for anyone who might know -- while researching travel options I looked into Amtrack & while there is a Jamestown, NY on their list of stations, when I plugged it in to get an idea of the cost of tickets it would not accept it as a destination. Is there a working train station there? If not, where is the next nearest one, & how far is it from Jamestown? And are there taxis or rental cars at that station? Has anyone ever traveled to Jamestown by train? (Plane fares are outrageous! A ticket to visit my sister who lives twice as far away is almost the same price as a flight to Jamestown).

Thanks in advance! :-)

I can tell you a little about getting to Jamestown by train as I used to do that years ago when I first moved here. There is a train station here, but is not on the Amtrak line. The nearest Amtrak stations are in Erie, PA (about 45 minute drive from here) and in Buffalo. There are 2 stations in Buffalo. One is downtown and one in Depew (just outside of Buffalo). Not sure about how it works now, but there used to be bus service between Buffalo and Jamestown that included a stop at the train station. Plus the Buffalo bus station is only a short walk to the downtown train station as well.

I used to take the bus to Buffalo and connect with my train to visit home in central NY or to often take the train to NYC. I don't like to fly, so the train has always been my preferred method of transportation.

I'm bummed. It looks like my trip to Jamestown in early October will not happen. My dear friend who stays in our house & pet sits for us when we travel needs surgery. Unless a lot of things align in our favor it looks like my visit to the Land of Lucy will be in 2014 instead.

(Joyce, I'll PM you if by some miracle it works out that we can get there next month after all.)

Some questions for anyone who might know -- while researching travel options I looked into Amtrack & while there is a Jamestown, NY on their list of stations, when I plugged it in to get an idea of the cost of tickets it would not accept it as a destination. Is there a working train station there? If not, where is the next nearest one, & how far is it from Jamestown? And are there taxis or rental cars at that station? Has anyone ever traveled to Jamestown by train? (Plane fares are outrageous! A ticket to visit my sister who lives twice as far away is almost the same price as a flight to Jamestown).

Thanks in advance! :-)

That would be Depew, NY; which is a suburb of Buffalo NY; it is roughly 70 miles down I-90; exit at Fredonia NY, Exit 59, I believe; south on Route 60 to Jamestown, roughly another 29 miles; easy route(s); but, you will need to rent a car from Depew.  good luck, keep me posted.  You are right about the outrageous fares into Jamestown; same out of here; they are trying to fix it; some are saying $99 to a 'hub' area; that would be WONDERFUL!  Haven't heard anything in a month or so.  I also do not know about Bus Fares from Depew; you would have to check when you go on line with Amtrak, for the ride to Depew and ultimately, Jamestown.  I'd rent a car if you can afford it.

Loving you, JK

:) Thanks so much for the info, Luvsbway, DuBarry31 & JK.  Taking a train to Buffalo might be the way to go ( I promise I won't touch the emergency brake :lucythrill: !). I like the idea of not having to drive all the way from where we live, so going to Buffalo & renting a car from there sounds good. Think I'll check the plane fares to Buffalo, too, while I'm at it. Thanks again -- I know I'll get there someday! :lucy1:

• 11 months later...

I want to say 2005.

Thanks, Brock; I have it as 2006.  After I posted, I just stumbled on it.  It was 'hidden' in a Hollywood Reporter article by Bob Osborne, referring to Lucy's Birthday Celebration.  A GAB Entertainment presentation; is that your memory of same?  Loving you, JK

Thanks, Brock; I have it as 2006.  After I posted, I just stumbled on it.  It was 'hidden' in a Hollywood Reporter article by Bob Osborne, referring to Lucy's Birthday Celebration.  A GAB Entertainment presentation; is that your memory of same?  Loving you, JK

Yes, it was definitely put together by the GAB guys.

Archived