Audience reactions

Having heard the infamous "uh oh" on other programs besides ILL -- as recent as this morning watching an old Bachelor Father rerun -- which wasn't even filmed with an audience! -- I've concluded that despite the fact it's attributed to Lucy's beloved mother DeDe, I firmly believe it wasn't uttered and recorded uniquely to each and every filming she attended; rather it was recorded once and used not only on Lucy but many other programs, many not even Desilu productions. My guess would be because back then, Glen Glenn Sound was the predominant sound house and once that "sound" (not really a laugh, is it?) became part of their library, it was used where deemed appropriate on countless other programs, Desilu or not (Bachelor Father for example was a product of Revue, then the TV arm of Universal Studios).

Has anyone ever actually confirmed as fact that DeDe was the "uh oh" lady? :lucycoy:

Another great audience response: the genuine and long laugh-from-the-gut that greets Lucy, Ethel and Fred as they enter the Tropicana for the first time in "Gets a Raise", topped only by their last entrance as "the girls" with Fred in drag, arguably Frawley's funniest moment.

According a book about "Burns and Allen", after they switched from live to film, those episodes were shown to an audience and their responses recorded. George hosted these showings. That may be--- but there is definite sweetening, including a VERY liberal sprinkling of the "uh-oh" lady sometimes two in one episode.

There's another audience response that is heard in a lot of sitcoms that's hard to describe but it's the audience collectively making this "oh-no"/we know what's going to happen/dread noise. The words 'oh-no' are not actually uttered---and that's the best I can do to describe it. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? This one, more often than not, does not work well when inserted. It should have been saved for dire situations but is sometimes used when the severity of the "problem" doesn't warrant it.

About "uh-oh" : when it's by itself it's followed by 4 staccato laugh noises that go up the scale in pitch. Sometimes the uh-oh is blended in with other laughs. This one sounds genuine, at least when originally uttered. Do we know where it came from originally?

And I wonder if this woman recognized her laugh...I suppose royalty checks were out.

I knew some friends who attended a LWL filming and tried to go "uh-oh" to see if they made it to the soundtrack. They didn't.

Neil, I watched The French Revue episode today, & was able to hear a bit of "the scream" before the rest of the audience joined in. I played it back twice and will start listening for it in other ILL shows as it wasn't familiar to me.

The "waa, waaa, waaaaa!" laugh you mentioned at the part where the four dancers each slide into a split & Lucy can't -- THAT is the voice I mentioned I've recognized in several episodes :).

• 1 year later...

Caught 2 things last night.

BBQ. In the scene where Lucy is cleaning you can hear a kid in the audience laughing. I know that I'very seen the kids on set in some of these 6th season episodes.

Housewarming. When Lucy comes down the steps with the curlers in you hear a woman say "oh my". It's such a dead ringer for Cleo it has to be her.

Caught 2 things last night.

BBQ. In the scene where Lucy is cleaning you can hear a kid in the audience laughing. I know that I'very seen the kids on set in some of these 6th season episodes.

Housewarming. When Lucy comes down the steps with the curlers in you hear a woman say "oh my". It's such a dead ringer for Cleo it has to be her.

Yeah, i noticed the Oh My also, i so love all those REAL audience reactions, they were so authentic and natural.

I always say that the way an audience is fired up can make or break an episode. If they're especially slap-happy from the start, it makes the episode extra hilarious. The audience for Lucy And Lawrence Welk is particularly excited, probably because Viv is there, but they just howl with laughter through the whole thing, especially one guy who's laugh really stands out and is a little annoying. It might be Gary, I've asked some other people and that's who they think it is.

I always say that the way an audience is fired up can make or break an episode. If they're especially slap-happy from the start, it makes the episode extra hilarious. The audience for Lucy And Lawrence Welk is particularly excited, probably because Viv is there, but they just howl with laughter through the whole thing, especially one guy who's laugh really stands out and is a little annoying. It might be Gary, I've asked some other people and that's who they think it is.

Oh i agree with that, sometimes the audience reaction is what makes us enjoy it a lot more, which is why i can't stand Modern Family but enjoy Everybody Loves Raymond so much, the audience really plays into it so much, the actors have to pause longer for laughs, and the rest of it too.

Oh i agree with that, sometimes the audience reaction is what makes us enjoy it a lot more, which is why i can't stand Modern Family but enjoy Everybody Loves Raymond so much, the audience really plays into it so much, the actors have to pause longer for laughs, and the rest of it too.

I know. Just imagine The Big Fork And Spoon episode without the laughter. It wouldn't work at all. That's why I don't really like Modern Family, because their style of editing is wearing a little thin.

I know. Just imagine The Big Fork And Spoon episode without the laughter. It wouldn't work at all. That's why I don't really like Modern Family, because their style of editing is wearing a little thin.

O M G so true about the fork and spoon episode.  Raymond is one of the few shows i actually watch reruns of or dvds.

• 4 years later...