New Book about Mary Wickes

tjw

Forgive me if this has already been posted by someone else...)

Just wanted to let readers know that there is a new Mary Wickes biography about to be released -- in June -- from University Press of Mississippi... It's called MARY WICKES: I KNOW I'VE SEEN THAT FACE BEFORE, and includes a chapter on Mary's 30-year friendship with Lucille Ball, as well as excerpts from more than 20 previously unpublished letters from Lucy to Mary.

It also reflects interviews with many people who observed their friendship, including Lucie Arnaz, Wanda Clark, Emily Daniels, Madelyn Pugh Davis, Sheila MacRae, Elliott Reid, Max Showalter and Iggie Wolfington.

Here's a link to the book's listing on Amazon...

http://www.amazon.com/Mary-Wickes-Before-Hollywood-Legends/dp/1604739053/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1354450240&sr=1-1&keywords=Mary+wickes

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do not have a copy yet, but if I get one before the pub-date, I'll certainly let you know. The author (Steve Taravella) lives in Italy, but is planning on coming to the US (and hopefully Los Angeles) in early summer for some book-signing events. I will keep everyone updated as I hear more about this...

• 1 month later...

Mine has shipped too. Can't wait to find out whether the author got access to all Mary's personal papers and correspondence that she left to the University of Washington with the stipulation that it not be opened up to the public until 25 years after her death, which would be 2020. I assume Mary was surmising that anybody named would be gone by then, but what DIRT could she have to spill?

Mine has shipped too. Can't wait to find out whether the author got access to all Mary's personal papers and correspondence that she left to the University of Washington with the stipulation that it not be opened up to the public until 25 years after her death, which would be 2020. I assume Mary was surmising that anybody named would be gone by then, but what DIRT could she have to spill?

Oh, something juicy perhaps like she and Nancy Kulp were MORE than "just friends"??? ;)

Just spent a delightful "week off," driving with my family up and down the coast of California for a brief "get away." Just so I didn't disconnect entirely, I took along a copy of MARY WICKES: I KNOW I'VE SEEN THAT FACE BEFORE -- and it is "wundaful!" (as a certain redhead used to say!)...

I'm not finished with it yet, so I have not attempted an official review, but just wanted to let my fellow Lucy fans know this book is "a keeper." The author (Steve Taravella) has been working on the book for nearly 18 years (since Mary's death in 1995), and consequently was able to interview many people who, sadly, have since also passed on. Mary was an unusual lady and Mr. Taravella has chosen to tell us about her in an equally unusual way. This biography is totally "non-linear." That is -- even though the book starts with Mary's birth and ends with her death, the chapters in between are not chronological.

Equally fascinating is the fact that Mr. T. does not approach this as a "career biography," jumping from one movie to the next, one TV show to the next, etc. While all those topics are included, the focus is on aspects of Mary's life and personality, not just the work she did...

Yes, there is a whole chapter devoted to Mary's close friendship with Lucy... and it, for me, was like a visit with old friends. Lucie Arnaz and Wanda Clark are among the people Steve interviewed, along with Emily Daniels, Madelyn Davis, Max Showalter and so many more. It's fun and informative!

There're also chapters devoted to Mary's family, her work ethic, her close relationship to her mother, the question of sex/romance in her life, her career-defining roles, etc.

If you are on the fence about buying this one or not -- all I can say is "go for it." I am enjoying it immensely!

Just spent a delightful "week off," driving with my family up and down the coast of California for a brief "get away." Just so I didn't disconnect entirely, I took along a copy of MARY WICKES: I KNOW I'VE SEEN THAT FACE BEFORE -- and it is "wundaful!" (as a certain redhead used to say!)...

I'm not finished with it yet, so I have not attempted an official review, but just wanted to let my fellow Lucy fans know this book is "a keeper." The author (Steve Taravella) has been working on the book for nearly 18 years (since Mary's death in 1995), and consequently was able to interview many people who, sadly, have since also passed on. Mary was an unusual lady and Mr. Taravella has chosen to tell us about her in an equally unusual way. This biography is totally "non-linear." That is -- even though the book starts with Mary's birth and ends with her death, the chapters in between are not chronological.

Equally fascinating is the fact that Mr. T. does not approach this as a "career biography," jumping from one movie to the next, one TV show to the next, etc. While all those topics are included, the focus is on aspects of Mary's life and personality, not just the work she did...

Yes, there is a whole chapter devoted to Mary's close friendship with Lucy... and it, for me, was like a visit with old friends. Lucie Arnaz and Wanda Clark are among the people Steve interviewed, along with Emily Daniels, Madelyn Davis, Max Showalter and so many more. It's fun and informative!

There're also chapters devoted to Mary's family, her work ethic, her close relationship to her mother, the question of sex/romance in her life, her career-defining roles, etc.

If you are on the fence about buying this one or not -- all I can say is "go for it." I am enjoying it immensely!

Wow, great review, you sold ME!

Terrific review! I'm about halfway through the Lucy chapter, reading a bit here and there tonight. After reading so many typos in the photo section, I'm glad to see that was a fluke. The quality of the book itself is wonderful -- and wonderfully detailed. Can't wait to read the rest!

Mine arrived today and I've just had time to read the Lucy chapter. It is outstanding. It is clear a lot of hard work and research went into this book. The letters between Lucy and Mary are fascinating. I'm glad the author and Lucie were able to get some insight on the letters from Gary just weeks or perhaps even days before he died. I cannot wait to start reading this book from the beginning. It's going to be a wonderful read.

Brock - I know from personal experience that Lucy tended to write exactly as she spoke -- so it does not surprise me that she'd write something to Mary along the lines of "I hate to think that you'll be gone when we return..." etc. Mary was essentially her best girlfriend. They were very close emotionally -- but they could also kid around a lot. When Lucy says something like, "Hope you get your sexy body out of bed before I leave..." it was just her way of talking... It was not a sexual inuendo...

Brock - I know from personal experience that Lucy tended to write exactly as she spoke -- so it does not surprise me that she'd write something to Mary along the lines of "I hate to think that you'll be gone when we return..." etc. Mary was essentially her best girlfriend. They were very close emotionally -- but they could also kid around a lot. When Lucy says something like, "Hope you get your sexy body out of bed before I leave..." it was just her way of talking... It was not a sexual inuendo...

Great to get your thoughts on it. It's funny you mention from personal experience "that Lucy tended to write exactly as she spoke." As I read and re-read these excerpts, the closeness of the two women is so evident that it's like tapping into a new facet of Lucille Ball I don't recall seeing in many previously published letters -- witter, more thoughtful and, indeed, thought provoking. Of course, this sounds silly based on just a handful of letters, but it's fascinating new material.

How long do you think it will take for the Globe to turn this chapter into an earlug on their cover? LOL After their "Bill Clinton is lusting after Barbara Eden" cover this week, anything is possible. ;)

Great review, can't wait to read it. I hope everyone who gets a copy and loves it will support the author via a five star review on Amazon.com as a Mary Wickes biography is not going to be a blockbuster best seller and could use the support it deserves.

This is a good place to mention something that has been on the internet about Mary that I have always found questionable. Several places claim she was survived by a "longtime companion" a playwright named Abby (I've forgotten the last name). This name did not appear in any obituaries published at the time of Mary's death that I saw. I looked up this "playwright" online and could never find any information about any such person on any site regarding plays, drama publishers, theatre credits, film writing credits, etc. and have long suspected this might be an internet prank. Was there such a person?

Thanks, Tom; a 'great review'; keep it coming! 18 years in construction! Wow! Hope my Lucy chronology is done by 9; it's at 8 1/2 right now!!!! JK

• (Responding to Lucyilove post): Nope. Taravella mentions this at the conclusion of the chapter on Mary's "sex life." Indeed, this must be something in the way of an internet prank (via Wikipedia) because no one interviewed for this book -- and Steve seems to have interviewed dozens, if not hundreds, of people -- ever heard of an Abby Conrad.

Great review, can't wait to read it. I hope everyone who gets a copy and loves it will support the author via a five star review on Amazon.com as a Mary Wickes biography is not going to be a blockbuster best seller and could use the support it deserves.

This is a good place to mention something that has been on the internet about Mary that I have always found questionable. Several places claim she was survived by a "longtime companion" a playwright named Abby (I've forgotten the last name). This name did not appear in any obituaries published at the time of Mary's death that I saw. I looked up this "playwright" online and could never find any information about any such person on any site regarding plays, drama publishers, theatre credits, film writing credits, etc. and have long suspected this might be an internet prank. Was there such a person?

I wasn't sure but THOUGHT I also had read things on the net that alluded to Mary's being a lesbian. I know, so what, who cares, she was a very gifted talent who is sorely missed.

Mine came today. I wasn't expecting anything this thorough! It's very hard to start a book like this at the beginning. I'm a little disappointed that there is no mention of her pilot starring Bette Davis "The Decorator" in which Mary apparently would be the only other regular as Bette's Girl Friday. it's a delightful half-hour and I can't for the life of me figure why it didn't sell unless Bette's demands strained the budget of weekly TV. It was produced by Aaron Spelling and has the look of an ABC comedy. I've never been able to verify the year but by Bette's look, it's somewhere between 1964 and 1966. Mary of course is ageless.

Archived