New Book about Mary Wickes

tjw

There actually is a very brief mention of The Decorator in the book in a list of Wickes-Davis colloborations, but no real information is given. The Decorator was filmed in 1965. Mary's part was originally written for Paul Lynde, but the powers that be we're unhappy with the fact that the character was obviously gay and forced writer Mart Crowley to make the character a woman. This was the second in a long, long line of Bette Davis TV pilots. A few years earlier, she and husband Gary Merrill did a pilot for a series that, like The Ginger Rogers Show, would have alternated focusing on the two main characters. The only Bette Davis pilot to sell was Hotel and Bette was too ill to do the series.

I can't put this book down. Mary is someone we all feel like we know and it is so great to finally learn so much about her.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There actually is a very brief mention of The Decorator in the book in a list of Wickes-Davis colloborations, but no real information is given. The Decorator was filmed in 1965. Mary's part was originally written for Paul Lynde, but the powers that be we're unhappy with the fact that the character was obviously gay and forced writer Mart Crowley to make the character a woman. This was the second in a long, long line of Bette Davis TV pilots. A few years earlier, she and husband Gary Merrill did a pilot for a series that, like The Ginger Rogers Show, would have alternated focusing on the two main characters. The only Bette Davis pilot to sell was Hotel and Bette was too ill to do the series.

I can't put this book down. Mary is someone we all feel like we know and it is so great to finally learn so much about her.

Boys in the Band's Mart Crowley?????

While stranded at the hospital most of the night with a friend (possibly an anecdote for the WTF! thread one of these days), I polished off just about half of this wonderful book, going straight from the beginning, including a second trip through the Lucy chapter. Steve Taravella has produced a treasure trove here. There hasn't been a page yet that lacked at least one truly interesting nugget of information.

While stranded at the hospital most of the night with a friend (possibly an anecdote for the WTF! thread one of these days), I polished off just about half of this wonderful book, going straight from the beginning, including a second trip through the Lucy chapter. Steve Taravella has produced a treasure trove here. There hasn't been a page yet that lacked at least one truly interesting nugget of information.

This book sounds like an absolute dream, as you know supporting players like Mary rarely get biographies or career studies and then when one appears that seems as deeply researched and well written as you guys are saying this one is, wow, this just unbelievable!! I can't wait to get my copy. Is there any way Steve Taravella can be tracked down to visit THE LUCY LOUNGE for a question and answer session thread one weekend or so like a lot of movie book authors do to publicize their books on various movie message boards? I think a lot people here have a ton of questions for him and it would be nice to let him know just how deeply we Lucy lovers appreciate his work.

This book sounds like an absolute dream, as you know supporting players like Mary rarely get biographies or career studies and then when one appears that seems as deeply researched and well written as you guys are saying this one is, wow, this just unbelievable!! I can't wait to get my copy. Is there any way Steve Taravella can be tracked down to visit THE LUCY LOUNGE for a question and answer session thread one weekend or so like a lot of movie book authors do to publicize their books on various movie message boards? I think a lot people here have a ton of questions for him and it would be nice to let him know just how deeply we Lucy lovers appreciate his work.

What a great idea! :D

Can`t believe it! How many eps did Bette do of Hotel before they replaced her with Anne Baxter.

I've always thought it quite ironic and amusing that Baxter replaced Bette given their respective roles in the classic, one-of-the-best-movies-ever, All About Eve!!! Priceless! :lucyhaha:

I've always thought it quite ironic and amusing that Baxter replaced Bette given their respective roles in the classic, one-of-the-best-movies-ever, All About Eve!!! Priceless! :lucyhaha:

I know, I was tempted to mention that also, you can't help but think of that due to their history. Sorta like Tallulah replacing Bette on that Lucy Desi comedy hour after Bette had appropriated all the movie roles that resulted from plays Tallulah had previously done.

And related to this, Anne Baxter replaced Lauren Bacall on Broadway in "Applause" , the "All About Eve" musical, but in the Margo Channing part.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have the book [yet], but I checked out its preview option at Amazon.

A new Mary Wickes film appearance has recently been discovered, possibly her first film; unfortunately, found too late for the author to know about it. Mary has a bit role (~ 10 sec.) as a wedding guest in the Ben Blue & Shemp Howard short subject HERE COMES FLOSSIE! (1933); costar Fred Harper calls her by name, "Hi, Mary!" This predates her earliest IMDb credit by a couple years.

Filmed at Vitaphone Studios in Brooklyn, in the fall of 1933. Being located in Brooklyn, Vitaphone frequently populated its shorts with Broadway players, and vaudeville and burlesque musical-comedy headliners. At the time, Mary was doing walkons and bits on Broadway.

Many Vitaphones circulated for decades on the gray-market via telecined 16mm prints, but last year Warner Bros. remastered it and included it on one of their Warner Archive collections of Vitaphone shorts. The new video clarity of that upgrade made it possible to spot Mary, kinda created a "D'oh, how I did I miss that before?!" moment.

I don't have the book [yet], but I checked out its preview option at Amazon.

A new Mary Wickes film appearance has recently been discovered, possibly her first film; unfortunately, found too late for the author to know about it. Mary has a bit role (~ 10 sec.) as a wedding guest in the Ben Blue & Shemp Howard short subject HERE COMES FLOSSIE! (1933); costar Fred Harper calls her by name, "Hi, Mary!" This predates her earliest IMDb credit by a couple years.

Filmed at Vitaphone Studios in Brooklyn, in the fall of 1933. Being located in Brooklyn, Vitaphone frequently populated its shorts with Broadway players, and vaudeville and burlesque musical-comedy headliners. At the time, Mary was doing walkons and bits on Broadway.

Many Vitaphones circulated for decades on the gray-market via telecined 16mm prints, but last year Warner Bros. remastered it and included it on one of their Warner Archive collections of Vitaphone shorts. The new video clarity of that upgrade made it possible to spot Mary, kinda created a "D'oh, how I did I miss that before?!" moment.

Interesting! Would you be able to post a screen grab of the restored version? I just looked it up on YouTube and in the anything-but-restored version on there, "Mary" doesn't seems to have a much softer and less distinctive profile than Wickes:

See: Around the 18.05 mark:

Interesting! Would you be able to post a screen grab of the restored version? I just looked it up on YouTube and in the anything-but-restored version on there, "Mary" doesn't seems to have a much softer and less distinctive profile than Wickes:

See: Around the 18.05 mark

I agree with you, Brock, I don't think she looks that much like Mary Wickes, in fact it looks more like Mary Treen , a character actress Ms. Wickes was often confused with (or rather the other way around since La Wickes was more famous) Mary Treen (1907-1989) was quite active in films in the early/mid 1930's usually in unbilled bits, including Warner Bros movies and short subjects (I question that this film was made in New York since it toplines Ben Blue and Shemp Howard; I don't think all Warner Bros/Vitaphone shorts came from the NY studios). The young woman in the photos supplied by Shemp doesn't seem to have Wickes' famous hawk nose but she does have Ms. Treen's apple cheeks:

mary-treen-1-sized.jpg

17305.gif

I question that this film was made in New York since it toplines Ben Blue and Shemp Howard; I don't think all Warner Bros/Vitaphone shorts came from the NY studios)

Brooklyn was the site for the majority of WB's Vitaphone (formerly Vitagraph Studios to 1926) short subjects thru the late 1930s, initially as one-reel musical/novelty acts from Broadway and vaudeville. Warners expanded into comedy two-reelers at the Brooklyn faciltiy in 1932 with Fatty Arbuckle, Ben Blue, Harry Gribbon, Shemp Howard, Lionel Stander, Jack Haley, others. Bob Hope starred in 6 six shorts for Vitaphone 1934 - 1936, also filmed in Brooklyn. In 1937, WB began winding down the facility and consolidated shorts production into its Sunset Blvd. & Burbank studios; the NYC facility was finally closed by 1940 and eventually sold.

Shemp Howard worked at the Brooklyn Vitaphone Studios from late 1932 - early 1937, where he appeared in almost 40 short subjects. He did not move to Los Angeles until Spring 1937.

Ben Blue starred in his own short subject series at Brooklyn Vitaphone from 1933 - 1934.

I am sure that is Mary Wickes.

Hi, folks. I'm the author of the Mary Wickes biography and am delighted to have found this discussion board. Thanks, Tom Watson, for pointing me to it, and thanks, Brock, for maintaining such an interesting site. I've been pleased to see the enthusiastic response to Mary's life story, and I've enjoyed seeing your reactions.

May I weigh in on the latest thread? I can say with certainty that the actress in the Vitaphone short mentioned above is not Mary Wickes. In 1933, Mary was still in her native St. Louis, performing in amateur theatricals. She did not leave home in search of an acting career until 1934 -- and that was for the summer theatres of Massachusetts, not New York, Her first film appearance of any kind was in February 1935. She was paid $25 for one day's work with Bob Hope in 'Watch the Birdie,' shot at Vitaphone in Brooklyn. Alas, she has no spoken lines.

Hope this clarifies.

Steve Taravella

Hi, folks. I'm the author of the Mary Wickes biography and am delighted to have found this discussion board. Thanks, Tom Watson, for pointing me to it, and thanks, Brock, for maintaining such an interesting site. I've been pleased to see the enthusiastic response to Mary's life story, and I've enjoyed seeing your reactions.

May I weigh in on the latest thread? I can say with certainty that the actress in the Vitaphone short mentioned above is not Mary Wickes. In 1933, Mary was still in her native St. Louis, performing in amateur theatricals. She did not leave home in search of an acting career until 1934 -- and that was for the summer theatres of Massachusetts, not New York, Her first film appearance of any kind was in February 1935. She was paid $25 for one day's work with Bob Hope in 'Watch the Birdie,' shot at Vitaphone in Brooklyn. Alas, she has no spoken lines.

Hope this clarifies.

Steve Taravella

Steve let me be the first of no doubt many to say (1) welcome and (2) thank you for your wonderful work documenting Mary Wickes' life and career! (And thanks to to Tom #1 for getting you on board, I've been getting a lot of answered requests late, hmm let's see what next I can ask for :lucycoy: )

I would love for this to have been Mary Wickes, any new film credit is always welcome but I just didn't think it looked that much like her.

Oh and I think I know who this gal might be now, even more probable than Mary Treen. She strongly resembles Judy Canova with the braids and the way she holds her head and her posture but I don't think it's Judy but rather her older sister Anne Canova who like Judy was in the family's vaudeville act, The Canovas, in the early 1930's and yes they were active in New York at this time. Here's a picture of the family in the later 1930's working on radio with Charlie and Edgar with Anne off to the right. If it's not one of the Canova gals this actress surely caught their act and picked up on their hillbilly characters. The Canovas were an amazing act, an Italian-Latino family who became stars as hillbilly singers/comedians!!

canovaannebio.jpg

Hope this clarifies.

Steve Taravella

Welcome aboard, Steve! We'll look forward with great interest, anything you can enlighten us regarding Mary; and others, of course. Enjoy your residency here.... We need new experts and new voices....

Steve let me be the first of no doubt many to say (1) welcome and (2) thank you for your wonderful work documenting Mary Wickes' life and career! (And thanks to to Tom #1 for getting you on board, I've been getting a lot of answered requests late, hmm let's see what next I can ask for :lucycoy: )

I would love for this to have been Mary Wickes, any new film credit is always welcome but I just didn't think it looked that much like her.

Oh and I think I know who this gal might be now, even more probable than Mary Treen. She strongly resembles Judy Canova with the braids and the way she holds her head and her posture but I don't think it's Judy but rather her older sister Anne Canova who like Judy was in the family's vaudeville act, The Canovas, in the early 1930's and yes they were active in New York at this time. Here's a picture of the family in the later 1930's working on radio with Charlie and Edgar with Anne off to the right. If it's not one of the Canova gals this actress surely caught their act and picked up on their hillbilly characters. The Canovas were an amazing act, an Italian-Latino family who became stars as hillbilly singers/comedians!!

canovaannebio.jpg

Love reading these varied opinions; and information on the 'elder statespersons of theater and film' GREAT!!!

I can't WAIT to read it! Thanks for all the work that obviously went into it! :D

Oh and "welcome aboard!" :lucy1:

I'd be curious to know what inspired your wanting to write about Miss Wickes and also if you're also a "Lucy fan" on any level, curious in part because you've just discovered this WUNDAFUL community and resource! :lucyhmm:

Archived