Why Cant We Have The Lucy Conventions in LA/Burbank again?

Hello all,

I was thinking about the awesome awesome time I had at the convention I went to (only made it to the last one) and how the entire building was filled with love and the magic of Lucy.

Every one was friendly and kind and was having so much fun, and seeing Lucy on those HUGE BOARDS was unbelievable, being a Lucy picture fan- Why cant we have something like that again? It doesn't have to be of the same magnitude, because those conventions seemed like an incredible amount of work-however- cant we all, as West Coast Lucy lovers, meet and enjoy, in the place she called her home for over 50 years? I LOVE Jamestown, but Id love to meet in sunny California! :)

I was able to attend 2 of the conventions in LA in 1997 and 1999. I was over joyed when I found out in 96’ they were going to do these. I bugged my parents that I wanted to go and my line was “These people are old. They are going to die soon. I need to see them before that happens.” Well the bugging did work and for my high school graduation gift I got to the 97’ convention. The 99’ one was more of a lucky coincidence. I was in college at the time and was going to be moving to LA in August to do a semester where I was interning and doing classes. The conventions were always in July but that year it was in August. Luck had it that my move in time to my apartment (at Oakwood, right at the edge of Burbank) was the same weekend as the convention so there was no way I was not going.

The 97’ convention was my second time being at a gathering of Lucy fans all in the same place since my first time to a festival in Jamestown in 96’. This was more than I could hope for and was in awe the whole weekend. Here are some of the highlights I remember.

97’

Friday: They did the kick-off at the Television Academy with special screenings. So great to see stuff I had no seen before and in such a nice venue.

Saturday: I think there were 2 panel discussions that day. One in the morning and one in the afternoon. Amazing to hear all these people talk about Lucy. This was my first time at a panel as LucyFest was years off from doing them. Having it in LA also made it easier for many of those panelists to attend. I’d have to go back to the program in my scrapbook to look up who all was there but it was everyone you would want to hear from. They also had after each panel those people stay and do an autograph signing. I loved how they were nice and even had pictures for the person to sign incase you did not bring your own.

The auction was in the afternoon and boy do I wish I was not a broke 18year old headed to college because these were the auctions you wanted to be at. Eloise Jensen was in failing health and put up a bunch of her original costume sketches to be auctioned off to help pay her medical bills. I know at the end the final figure made off of them was much higher than anticipated. I knew I was not going to be buying any but I videoed all that I could of them during the auction preview and then more when each went up for sale. I’m not sure at this time how many of these sketches were in collector’s hands. I know I have seen them pop up since and I wonder if they were originally purchased from this auction.

Banquet: These were such a great time and always nicely themed. In 97’ the ballroom was turned into the Brown Derby and we all had spaghetti so we could twirl our forks to our hearts content. After the dinner they had a show. Suzanne did her wonderful Lucy impression and I remember Ralph Hart reading a very nice tribute to Vivian. I got to meet him and his lovely family in the elevator that weekend and they were all so nice.

Sunday: In the morning there was an author’s breakfast where they had many writers of the various Lucy books that were out at that time. I packed my suitcase full of my books and got them signed. Both of the authors of Desilu were there and I wanted to make sure I told them how good that book was and how at 14 I read that thing 3 times in a row. That along with the home movies which was done around the same time is what turned me from a causal fan to wanting to find out everything I could about this woman.

I don’t remember much about a trivia contest this year, but I’m sure there was one and it may have been on Sunday morning.

In the afternoon Suzanne did her one-woman show. This may have been the first version of this show as I know she has done them in various forms over the years. All weekend I was amazed at how perfect she was in portraying not only the Lucy character but how she did Lucille the woman. The mannerisms were perfect and dead on. The last scene in the show was a recreation of the last phone call with Desi followed by Suzanne singing “If He Walked into My Life”. It was totally a cry fest. I remember talking to someone people after that and we all commented on how wonderful it was.

99” Convention

This was basically the same structure as years past, but I think they kept getting better the longer they did them.

Friday: Back at the Television Academy for the opening night show. Two surprise guests showed up. The first was Steve Allen and the other was Lucie. This was the first convention she came to and was around all weekend.

Saturday: I believe there were 2 panel discussions this day but could be wrong. Once again a great mix of people. I know Dan Cann was one of the panel members and he had a great original prop to show off. Anytime someone had show and tell I loved it. Dan had the original rooftop billboard for the Tropicana club. Remember when you would see that before they would cut to a scene in the club. It was not very big which was surprising. He also showed off his crew jacket.

The auction was in the afternoon. I ended up sitting next to Ric Wyman at the auction which was interesting. By this time I am the broke college kid so alas no auction goods for me. I did video tape the full preview though. One thing they had which was nice was a collection of photos of Lucy that were taken at the Orthopedic Ward of the Children’s Hospital in the 80’s. Lucy did a lot of charity work for them and they did these pictures up and all proceeds from them were given to the hospital. The interesting thing that happened at the auction was some guy shows up and wants to put an item up that was not in the catalogue. Well the item ends up being Lucy’s garter from the Gary wedding that this guy caught. He also had 2 photos from the wedding to prove it. So this thing goes up for auction and I think get’s like $3000 and doesn’t sell. Turns out the guy wanted $5000. I got it on video though so that’s cool.

Banquet: The theme this year was on board the USS Constitution. I don’t remember what the themed food was though. The show was pretty good. It was more of a plot then the last show. Well this one scene has Lucy (Suzanne again, and this was sort of weird as I was sitting next to Diane Vincent, our other fine Lucy impersonator) singing “Whatever Lola Wants, Lola Gets” to a man with his back to us. Well I called it before he turned around, it was Tab Hunter. He played Joe in the movie Damn Yankees, so that was a nice treat. The other really cool thing that happened was Billy Henche was there (the Billy in Dino, Desi and Billy). Keith T. was also there and both of them played together with Keith on drums.

Sunday: I can’t remember if there was another author’s brunch this day or not. If so I packed another round of books that had come out since the last time and got those signed. I do think the Trivia Contest was held this morning with Lucy and Ricky participating and recreating the Quiz Show episode.

The big deal was Sunday afternoon. This was another panel discussion and Lucie was on the panel, along with Carole, Irma and some other good people I forget now. I did a lot of video taping of this panel. One part that I thought was rather funny and I do have on tape was this. Lucie is sitting on the stage at one end of the room. In the back along the wall Suzanne and Adrian are standing dressed as Lucy and Ricky. Lucie stops the panel and asks everyone to turn around and look at them. She says that she can’t see them real well but that its weird because she feels like her parents are watching her. It got a good laugh

Throughout the weekends there was a huge vendor hall with more Lucy merch than you could dream of. Not just the new mass produced stuff, but tons of old vintage stuff as well. In 97’ it was the first year they were doing the Lucy Barbie’s and Mattel had a raffle to win one. Well I got lucky and won.

Also throughout the weekends they had screenings of various Lucy related stuff. Good stuff that was not out commercially. There was so much going on these weekends that I never had a chance to stop in and see anything. Two things I was really interested in were the original 75 minute Cruise to Havana episode and the documentary footage done on the Here’s Lucy set. Both of which are now on DVD.

These conventions got a lot of press coverage. I remember, especially in 97’, seeing local news crews there. They also had Suzanne and probably the Borden sisters do a kickoff event on the Thursday of that week. I would get lucky and see these things on the LA News. I sat in the hotel room filming the tv with my video camera to get them on tape.

Some of the best things I remember from these were being in a room with so many other fans. I had only been to my first Lucy event a year earlier in Jamestown and had my first feel of that. It’s an amazing thing when you have a whole room singing the theme song, or the whole room reciting the entire Vitametavegamin commercial.

After having gone to 2 of these conventions and numerous festivals in Jamestown I can make the assessment that they felt very different, but in a good way. California always seemed like the bigger event to me. Part of this had to do with it being in LA, an easier destination to get to. It was at a Hilton right next to the airport so accommodations were easy and many people who worked on the convention and were on the panel were local. Jamestown on the other hand is not near anything big, is hard to get to by plane, not everything is in one location. But what I think Jamestown has is a more of a sense of closeness in the festivals. You got to see the uniqueness of a location where Lucy grew up and why she never forgot the place. One thing I enjoyed over the weekend is you would see people, some you knew, and others you got to meet over the weekend. I went to both first only knowing people from the internet and then meeting face to face. I don’t know which one I would say is the pen-ultimate of events. For both you could go around and see Lucy related things in the town in which they were. Houses, studios, parks, theatres ,etc… Over the years many guests from LA made it to Jamestown. I don’t think they could have the LA convention today. First too many of the people they got to attend are gone. I’m glad I got to see Mary Jane again in 99’ before she died like a month later. These people who told their wonderful stories are starting to really thin out. I was thinking about the conventions recently when I was listening to Stu’s radio shows with Jimmy, Wanda, Frank. Stu was a great host of these panels and listening to him mention in those interviews some things that were said at conventions over the years I remembered how special they were. I’m glad I have them on video. I’m glad we were allowed to video. That privilege started to fade at the LucyFests over the years. All of those panels, banquets, etc… were videotaped. I would love to buy copies of those just to have better than what I shot, and for all the years I did not get there.

If anyone else has convention stories I would love to hear them.

I was able to attend 2 of the conventions in LA in 1997 and 1999. I was over joyed when I found out in 96’ they were going to do these. I bugged my parents that I wanted to go and my line was “These people are old. They are going to die soon. I need to see them before that happens.” Well the bugging did work and for my high school graduation gift I got to the 97’ convention. The 99’ one was more of a lucky coincidence. I was in college at the time and was going to be moving to LA in August to do a semester where I was interning and doing classes. The conventions were always in July but that year it was in August. Luck had it that my move in time to my apartment (at Oakwood, right at the edge of Burbank) was the same weekend as the convention so there was no way I was not going.

The 97’ convention was my second time being at a gathering of Lucy fans all in the same place since my first time to a festival in Jamestown in 96’. This was more than I could hope for and was in awe the whole weekend. Here are some of the highlights I remember.

97’

Friday: They did the kick-off at the Television Academy with special screenings. So great to see stuff I had no seen before and in such a nice venue.

Saturday: I think there were 2 panel discussions that day. One in the morning and one in the afternoon. Amazing to hear all these people talk about Lucy. This was my first time at a panel as LucyFest was years off from doing them. Having it in LA also made it easier for many of those panelists to attend. I’d have to go back to the program in my scrapbook to look up who all was there but it was everyone you would want to hear from. They also had after each panel those people stay and do an autograph signing. I loved how they were nice and even had pictures for the person to sign incase you did not bring your own.

The auction was in the afternoon and boy do I wish I was not a broke 18year old headed to college because these were the auctions you wanted to be at. Eloise Jensen was in failing health and put up a bunch of her original costume sketches to be auctioned off to help pay her medical bills. I know at the end the final figure made off of them was much higher than anticipated. I knew I was not going to be buying any but I videoed all that I could of them during the auction preview and then more when each went up for sale. I’m not sure at this time how many of these sketches were in collector’s hands. I know I have seen them pop up since and I wonder if they were originally purchased from this auction.

Banquet: These were such a great time and always nicely themed. In 97’ the ballroom was turned into the Brown Derby and we all had spaghetti so we could twirl our forks to our hearts content. After the dinner they had a show. Suzanne did her wonderful Lucy impression and I remember Ralph Hart reading a very nice tribute to Vivian. I got to meet him and his lovely family in the elevator that weekend and they were all so nice.

Sunday: In the morning there was an author’s breakfast where they had many writers of the various Lucy books that were out at that time. I packed my suitcase full of my books and got them signed. Both of the authors of Desilu were there and I wanted to make sure I told them how good that book was and how at 14 I read that thing 3 times in a row. That along with the home movies which was done around the same time is what turned me from a causal fan to wanting to find out everything I could about this woman.

I don’t remember much about a trivia contest this year, but I’m sure there was one and it may have been on Sunday morning.

In the afternoon Suzanne did her one-woman show. This may have been the first version of this show as I know she has done them in various forms over the years. All weekend I was amazed at how perfect she was in portraying not only the Lucy character but how she did Lucille the woman. The mannerisms were perfect and dead on. The last scene in the show was a recreation of the last phone call with Desi followed by Suzanne singing “If He Walked into My Life”. It was totally a cry fest. I remember talking to someone people after that and we all commented on how wonderful it was.

99” Convention

This was basically the same structure as years past, but I think they kept getting better the longer they did them.

Friday: Back at the Television Academy for the opening night show. Two surprise guests showed up. The first was Steve Allen and the other was Lucie. This was the first convention she came to and was around all weekend.

Saturday: I believe there were 2 panel discussions this day but could be wrong. Once again a great mix of people. I know Dan Cann was one of the panel members and he had a great original prop to show off. Anytime someone had show and tell I loved it. Dan had the original rooftop billboard for the Tropicana club. Remember when you would see that before they would cut to a scene in the club. It was not very big which was surprising. He also showed off his crew jacket.

The auction was in the afternoon. I ended up sitting next to Ric Wyman at the auction which was interesting. By this time I am the broke college kid so alas no auction goods for me. I did video tape the full preview though. One thing they had which was nice was a collection of photos of Lucy that were taken at the Orthopedic Ward of the Children’s Hospital in the 80’s. Lucy did a lot of charity work for them and they did these pictures up and all proceeds from them were given to the hospital. The interesting thing that happened at the auction was some guy shows up and wants to put an item up that was not in the catalogue. Well the item ends up being Lucy’s garter from the Gary wedding that this guy caught. He also had 2 photos from the wedding to prove it. So this thing goes up for auction and I think get’s like $3000 and doesn’t sell. Turns out the guy wanted $5000. I got it on video though so that’s cool.

Banquet: The theme this year was on board the USS Constitution. I don’t remember what the themed food was though. The show was pretty good. It was more of a plot then the last show. Well this one scene has Lucy (Suzanne again, and this was sort of weird as I was sitting next to Diane Vincent, our other fine Lucy impersonator) singing “Whatever Lola Wants, Lola Gets” to a man with his back to us. Well I called it before he turned around, it was Tab Hunter. He played Joe in the movie Damn Yankees, so that was a nice treat. The other really cool thing that happened was Billy Henche was there (the Billy in Dino, Desi and Billy). Keith T. was also there and both of them played together with Keith on drums.

Sunday: I can’t remember if there was another author’s brunch this day or not. If so I packed another round of books that had come out since the last time and got those signed. I do think the Trivia Contest was held this morning with Lucy and Ricky participating and recreating the Quiz Show episode.

The big deal was Sunday afternoon. This was another panel discussion and Lucie was on the panel, along with Carole, Irma and some other good people I forget now. I did a lot of video taping of this panel. One part that I thought was rather funny and I do have on tape was this. Lucie is sitting on the stage at one end of the room. In the back along the wall Suzanne and Adrian are standing dressed as Lucy and Ricky. Lucie stops the panel and asks everyone to turn around and look at them. She says that she can’t see them real well but that its weird because she feels like her parents are watching her. It got a good laugh

Throughout the weekends there was a huge vendor hall with more Lucy merch than you could dream of. Not just the new mass produced stuff, but tons of old vintage stuff as well. In 97’ it was the first year they were doing the Lucy Barbie’s and Mattel had a raffle to win one. Well I got lucky and won.

Also throughout the weekends they had screenings of various Lucy related stuff. Good stuff that was not out commercially. There was so much going on these weekends that I never had a chance to stop in and see anything. Two things I was really interested in were the original 75 minute Cruise to Havana episode and the documentary footage done on the Here’s Lucy set. Both of which are now on DVD.

These conventions got a lot of press coverage. I remember, especially in 97’, seeing local news crews there. They also had Suzanne and probably the Borden sisters do a kickoff event on the Thursday of that week. I would get lucky and see these things on the LA News. I sat in the hotel room filming the tv with my video camera to get them on tape.

Some of the best things I remember from these were being in a room with so many other fans. I had only been to my first Lucy event a year earlier in Jamestown and had my first feel of that. It’s an amazing thing when you have a whole room singing the theme song, or the whole room reciting the entire Vitametavegamin commercial.

After having gone to 2 of these conventions and numerous festivals in Jamestown I can make the assessment that they felt very different, but in a good way. California always seemed like the bigger event to me. Part of this had to do with it being in LA, an easier destination to get to. It was at a Hilton right next to the airport so accommodations were easy and many people who worked on the convention and were on the panel were local. Jamestown on the other hand is not near anything big, is hard to get to by plane, not everything is in one location. But what I think Jamestown has is a more of a sense of closeness in the festivals. You got to see the uniqueness of a location where Lucy grew up and why she never forgot the place. One thing I enjoyed over the weekend is you would see people, some you knew, and others you got to meet over the weekend. I went to both first only knowing people from the internet and then meeting face to face. I don’t know which one I would say is the pen-ultimate of events. For both you could go around and see Lucy related things in the town in which they were. Houses, studios, parks, theatres ,etc… Over the years many guests from LA made it to Jamestown. I don’t think they could have the LA convention today. First too many of the people they got to attend are gone. I’m glad I got to see Mary Jane again in 99’ before she died like a month later. These people who told their wonderful stories are starting to really thin out. I was thinking about the conventions recently when I was listening to Stu’s radio shows with Jimmy, Wanda, Frank. Stu was a great host of these panels and listening to him mention in those interviews some things that were said at conventions over the years I remembered how special they were. I’m glad I have them on video. I’m glad we were allowed to video. That privilege started to fade at the LucyFests over the years. All of those panels, banquets, etc… were videotaped. I would love to buy copies of those just to have better than what I shot, and for all the years I did not get there.

If anyone else has convention stories I would love to hear them.

So last night I dug out my scrapbook/photo album from both the conventions and went through and refreshed my memory of those. I was surprised that looking through the list of what was shown at the TV Academy on those Friday nights I now have all of them on DVD somewhere. Either through tape trading or surprisingly on DVD via the extras on the LS and HL DVD sets. The big show in 97’ was The LB Comedy Hour with Bob Hope now looking great on the LS set.

I looked back through some of the auction stuff too and it was rather interesting. Along with those pictures they auctioned off for the hospital in 99’ they had people that worked with Lucy write a personal story and they put a nice picture with it and framed it. Some were the normal people like Bob and Madelyn, Mary Jane, Doris, Shirley Mitchell. But you had some unexpected ones like Lily Tomlin, John Ritter and Lucie. Lucie’s was short but really good. Her’s just said “She gave birth to me. That was a big help.”

I also dug out my video I had recorded of the weekend. I forgot what gems I have on this thing. I need to get some of this up on YouTube. I only got through 99’ but I shot over 2 hours that year.

Panel discussions. Pretty much anyone who was alive that was a key player in putting the show on the air. Like I said before Dann showed the prop used for the Tropicana roof sign. Interesting thing that was said was that it was going to be donated to the museum. Wonder where it is?

Auction. I was wrong on the garter price. They started at $1000 and could not get that. Got a shout out for $1100 but was nowhere near the $5000 that guy wanted. The photos were pretty cool. One was of Lucy showing off the garter and another was Lucy with the guy who caught it. I was pretty far back in the room so my zoom on the camera was pretty shaky but you could make it out as they were held up. I had to laugh at myself as I was videotaping every item at the auction preview I was having this conversation with the lady behind me. She joked that in 30 years I could auction the video off showing all the thing that were in the auction.

I was smart and took my camera to the Television Academy that Friday night where Lucie had her surprise appearance. What I forgot was I got a really awesome thing on tape. I was videotaping in the lobby afterward and got Lucie and Carole on tape having this whole conversation. I got it right as they noticed each other in the crowd and gave each other a big hug. Seemed like they had not seen each other in a while. Most of the conversation was really hard to hear as it was noisy in the crowd. There was this dark haired girl about 16 standing with them and I kept wondering who it was. Carole even introduced her to Tom (husband) then, and gave her a hug. I had to go back and play that whole scene again and figured out it was Kate. Carole seemed really happy to see her. That whole thing was awesome and I totally forgot I had it on tape.

The final panel discussion of the day was the 2nd highlight of the tape for me. The whole panel was Lucie, Wanda, Frank, Carole, Irma, Eve Whitney, and Bernie Weitzman. This was the first doing panels for some. Carole regaled us with her great telling of a lot of the stories we came to hear from her. Bernie read a nice note Lucy gave to him one day. It was just a little note basically saying I thought about you the other day and I really enjoy working with you and you are really good at what you do sort of thing. It was a nice share and demonstrated how kind Lucy really was on a day to day basis. I didn’t video tape this whole panel as I think my shooting arm would have fallen off, but I hope I got the best stuff. The last question asked of the panel was share what Lucy meant to you/ what you best remember about her type of question. Everyone had a good laugh when Lucie asked ‘Do I have to go first?” She went last, but what everyone said was so nice. Lucie ended with taking that really hard question and tailoring it to her. She talked a lot about how her mom had to work through a lot of stuff in her childhood and life. She equated this being born a blank sheet of paper and life is getting through all the stuff people keeping throwing on top of that paper. Lucie thinks that in her mom’s self-conscious mind she knew that she could not raise her in the way she would have liked so Lucy put all these people in her life to help raise her, give her direction, etc… The whole thing was really very well said and one of the best things I’ve heard her say about her mom. She even talked about the fans and how that was like this extended family, how Lucy fans are normal people with lives and families and are not weird (like Trekkies). Lucie mentioned she thought Kate might like to come that day to the panel to hear some things said about her grandmother she’s never heard before. I loved Kate’s response as it is such a teenager thing to say. She asks “Is it going to be taped? Yeah. Ok, then I’ll watch it later.” She had friends she wanted to go visit while in LA. I’ve heard Lucie say this in the TV Academy interview and she said it here, but that even her kids being third generation still have to deal with being the grandkids of and that can be really tough. I’m really glad I got this on video and having not watched it in years I forgot how good it was.

Could it be that there's no LA conventions anymore because the museum in Jamestown would get pissed off at losing a chance to milk money off tourists (like me LOL)? My friend and I would also like to go to LA for our next trip and it would be awesome to go to a Lucy convention there too. Le sigh.

Could it be that there's no LA conventions anymore because the museum in Jamestown would get pissed off at losing a chance to milk money off tourists (like me LOL)? My friend and I would also like to go to LA for our next trip and it would be awesome to go to a Lucy convention there too. Le sigh.

The two festivals had a peaceful co-existence for quite some time.

The two festivals had a peaceful co-existence for quite some time.

Thanks for saying this, Brock.

I was a nearly full-time volunteer within the Museum/gift shop complex from October 2002; and heard much 'internal gossip'; which was 'factual'....

The 'word' was that Tom Watson, very kindly suggested he would give up the Conventions in L.A., in favor of, and to benefit, the Lucille Ball-Desi Arnaz Museum; for that, he deserves a much-deserved THANK YOU.

It was her hometown, FIRST, after all; in spite of her successful career on the other coast. We certainly appreciate his generosity; giving up much, without a doubt, in respect for Lucille and her hometown.

If no one has ever said it: THANKS AGAIN, TOM! Fondly, JK

Luvsbway, thanks so much for taking the time to post your memories of these events. I had always liked Lucille, but my admiration for her began after I bought the I Love Lucy dvd set when it came out. I then went on to read several books & became a big fan. I really enjoyed reading about your experiences since the conventions had ended many years prior to my finding out about them. How fun that you won the raffle :lucy1: !

You mentioned that all of these events were taped -- does anyone here know if there are copies available for purchase? (And if not, why not, for corns sake! :bill1: ) I would love to be able to see all the Q&A & discussions -- & everything else, too!

• 2 months later...

Tom usually moderates the Jamestown Festivals anyway; and probably likes getting away for a bit from the COAST.

It would be lovely to hear from Tom, however, on this topic; and where would Jamestown be without Richard and his lovely piano entertainment.

To answer Lam's original question, I guess because Mr Watson is too busy with other things or people stopped attending in huge numbers or like the Desilu picnics, they just got too big to produce?

Just reread some of the replies and I see it's so typical of Tom, he's such a great man, to give up HIS to accommodate the one in the hinterlands. Lucy always came first with Tom, thank God!

Tom usually moderates the Jamestown Festivals anyway; and probably likes getting away for a bit from the COAST.

It would be lovely to hear from Tom, however, on this topic; and where would Jamestown be without Richard and his lovely piano entertainment.

Tom: Hope you reply to these kidos....you deserve them!!!! Jamestown-born fan....JK

Just reread some of the replies and I see it's so typical of Tom, he's such a great man, to give up HIS to accommodate the one in the hinterlands. Lucy always came first with Tom, thank God!

And just think, the stars would be right there, no need for them to go to Jamestown by Cannonball railroad.

Archived