Yours, Mine & Ours

One of the North/Beardsley kids has written a book & apparently real life behind the scenes was nothing like the positive image put forth by the media.

In this short video interview there is a scene with Lucy & Henry Fonda in the beginning, then the author tells some stories of what his life was really like after his mom remarried.

http://on.aol.com/video/famous-central-coast-family-hiding-a-dark-secret-517789054?hp=1&playlist=127161&icid=maing-grid10%7Chtmlws-main-bb%7Cdl39%7Csec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D317024

One of the North/Beardsley kids has written a book & apparently real life behind the scenes was nothing like the positive image put forth by the media.

In this short video interview there is a scene with Lucy & Henry Fonda in the beginning, then the author tells some stories of what his life was really like after his mom remarried.

http://on.aol.com/vi...nk3&pLid=317024

WOW!! REAL LIFE!

Do we have ANY evidence that Lucille and Henry ever met the REAL North/Beardsleys? Seems like they should have been 'experts' behind the scenes. Since Bob Carroll, Jr., wrote the screenplay, it seems as though he would also have interviewed these folks....ANYONE??

WOW!! REAL LIFE!

Do we have ANY evidence that Lucille and Henry ever met the REAL North/Beardsleys? Seems like they should have been 'experts' behind the scenes. Since Bob Carroll, Jr., wrote the screenplay, it seems as though he would also have interviewed these folks....ANYONE??

Lucy and Henry both met the real-life Norths/Beardsleys a handful of times in preparation for their roles. Lucy, in particular.

Very sad story, if true, and if memory serves, Tommy is not the first north to allege some things went down, although I seem to recall the allegations were made between siblings rather than Frank himself.

Always makes me wonder when something like this comes out, one family member alleges abuse and others say it isn't true (just like Joan Crawford's kids). Is someone trying to make a quick buck or are the other Beardsleys trying to stick up for their father? Hmmmm.

• 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...

TCM is running YM&O today and I've caught bits and pieces.  I'd forgotten just how good Lucy looks in the movie.  And no soft-focus! (that I could detect anyway).  My two favorite scenes are both set in the dispensary with Lucy doing her nursing duties.  Nothing particularly hilarious about the scenes but Lucy is so charming.  Reminds me of my favorite scene in "Critics Choice": Lucy/Angela at the garden party getting caught revealing to Rip Torn that she's a writer.   YM&O has aged pretty well, a little risque in parts (Fonda's "easy" date) but still a bit mired in 60s sensibilities.  For instance, Mike getting drafted is treated almost comically----with no reference to Vietnam, then at its height.  It's pretty imaginatively put together, considering.  Lucy's drunk scene is considered the highlight.  She's great but has done it better on her series.

1968 was a banner year for Lucy, second only to 1953, I suppose.  She had a hit movie, her TV show was the #1 on the air (for most of the season), sold her studio, was starting a new series and had won her 2nd Emmy in a row!

And adjusted for inflation, the Beardsley's $126 grocery bill is $863 and the total cost of adopting all the kids is $31,000.

About the grocery store trip, did they really need at least 10 LARGE jars of mayonnaise.  

The dishwashing scene with Lucy, Van and Henry.  There's only 18 of them and there has to be at least 75 plates they're washing. 

They must take in dirty dishes from other families. 

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...

From Yours Mine and Ours wikipedia page:  "Later, she had a falling-out with Madelyn Pugh (then known as Madelyn Pugh Martin) and Bob Carroll, precisely because their script overly resembled an I Love Lucy television episode, and commissioned another writer (Leonard Spigelgass) to rewrite the script.[citation needed] Mr. Spigelgass does not seem to have succeeded in breaking free of Lucy's television work, so producer Robert Blumofe hired yet two more writers (Mickey Rudin and Bernie Weitzman) to make an attempt.[citation needed] When this failed, Blumofe hired Melville Shavelson"

Wasn't Mickey Rudin her attorney?  I did not know that Bernie was ever a writer.  It does say "citation needed" after.  YMO is good as produced (with a couple of minor complaints) but It would be interesting to see what Bob and Madelyn touches were left out of subsequent scripts.  Enough of their original script was retained that they got "story by" credit.  Though the drunk scene is not based on any true life event, I'm glad they left it in because it's one of the high points of the movie.  Although the idea the she gets so drunk on that lethal mix of alcohol, gets sick and immediate sobers up---let alone having any appetite for the dinner they held up for her,  is---I was to find out much later---NOT the way it happens. 

Speaking of Mickey, it's hard to believe that as late as 1980's "Lucy Moves to NBC", they were still trying to get laughs with Asians pronouncing "R"'s as "L"'s (Choo-Choo: "Mickey Ludin")

Also I don't think B&M's YMO script was the cause of any "falling out" (unless Helen entered a pie baking contest in their script).  

Never heard about any falling out with YMO. The falling out was a few years earlier on The Lucy Show.

Mickey was her lawyer and I too have never heard Bernie wrote. His positions at Desilu and Universal was not in that capacity. 

Citation needed is correct as this all seemes to be made up.

Archived