Any copies of Viv's plays?

Brock's article with pics of Viv in the topic below made me wonder -- were any plays from this era (or later) that she was in ever filmed or taped in some way? I would love to see Viv playing other characters, most especially would like to see her in "Voice of the Turtle" where she was offered the part of Ethel afterward.

Does anyone know if any copies of her acting in plays exist?

Brock's article with pics of Viv in the topic below made me wonder -- were any plays from this era (or later) that she was in ever filmed or taped in some way? I would love to see Viv playing other characters, most especially would like to see her in "Voice of the Turtle" where she was offered the part of Ethel afterward.

Does anyone know if any copies of her acting in plays exist?

I'm fairly sure no film was ever shot of Vivian in a play. That would have been ultra-rare to have happened for any play pre 1960 and "boots" of stage plays really didn't surface until the early 90's with the advent of the camcorder. The only possiblity is perhaps a bit of footage was shot in the 60s to publicize her plays but it's still unlikely to have happened or to survive if it did.

• 3 weeks later...

The short-lived Out From Under:

phpbifngwpm.jpg

with John Alexander

phphwssabpm.jpg

with Mr. Vivian Vance #3

From another flop, It Takes Two:

php7kfsvcpm.jpg

More fun stuff on the stage careers of the I Love Lucy cast here! http://www.nypl.org/...ve-lucy-edition

Thanks for this, HC: Perfect lead-in to my question:

Did Desi ever appear on Broadway stage in something called 'Yours for a Year'???

I ran across this yesterday, in my 'editing mode' from an old news article (11/4/40); can't locate in any of my books at hand; no idea where to research on-line; and no time to keep researching.

Thanks if you can assist me....Loving you, JK

Thanks for this, HC: Perfect lead-in to my question:

Did Desi ever appear on Broadway stage in something called 'Yours for a Year'???

I ran across this yesterday, in my 'editing mode' from an old news article (11/4/40); can't locate in any of my books at hand; no idea where to research on-line; and no time to keep researching.

Thanks if you can assist me....Loving you, JK

"Yours for a Year" was written by "Too Many Girls" writer George Marion Jr. and supposed to star Desi. It never happened. Desi's only Broadway appearance was in "Too Many Girls."

These amazing photgraphs to me reinforce perhaps why Viv was so reticent to go "frumpy" initially being cast as Ethel Mertz: Whatta hunk o' woman! She was STUNNING!! Also shows how at home she was on the stage.

Not only fantastic to see these photographic record of all her stage "history" ("HERstory"??) but can better understand now why she heralded it so and encouraged a young Lucie to hone her craft there!

Makes me wonder if she ever suggested or discussed with Mama Ball the possibility of the two (or 3, with Arnaz) doing something, if only for a limited engagement, on the stage, either here (LA) or NYC. Wouldn't that have been something?? :lucyhmm:

Makes me wonder if she ever suggested or discussed with Mama Ball the possibility of the two (or 3, with Arnaz) doing something, if only for a limited engagement, on the stage, either here (LA) or NYC. Wouldn't that have been something?? :lucyhmm:

There was a rumor in the mid-70s that Lucy and Vivian were considering doing a production of Noel Coward's "Fallen Angels." It seems like this would have been the perfect project for them. I don't know how serious this was. I believe Lucy also said she would love to do a female version of "The Sunshine Boys" with Viv.

There was a rumor in the mid-70s that Lucy and Vivian were considering doing a production of Noel Coward's "Fallen Angels." It seems like this would have been the perfect project for them. I don't know how serious this was. I believe Lucy also said she would love to do a female version of "The Sunshine Boys" with Viv.

That would have been WUNDAFUL. Also sweet possibility would have been the female version of Neil Simon's Odd Couple, which has famously featured Barbara ("Jeannie") Eden, Sally (Gloria, "All in the Family") Struthers and other notable female actors! :D

Oh my goodness that would've been wonderful!

"Yours for a Year" was written by "Too Many Girls" writer George Marion Jr. and supposed to star Desi. It never happened. Desi's only Broadway appearance was in "Too Many Girls."

Thanks for the prompt reply, Jamie; I shall add it to the p.r. news article. I certainly appreciate the correct information. Loving you, JK

Found this little 'tidbit', while editing, as well: 11/5/75:

Memphis Press Scimitar interview: “Viv's Back and Rhoda's Got Her” Vivian Vance (Lucy's Ethel Mertz) is working on her own first book at present, entitled Go Home, Your Eyes Are Too Close Together, “. . . a piece of advice an agent gave me years ago, saying I couldn't possibly be photographed for years, that complex stayed with me,” (and which autobiography didn't see light of day until 1989, ten years after her death),” this interview published this date in 1975.

Wonder why we've not seen this.... can anyone respond to this p.r. from 1975? Thanks, JK

Found this little 'tidbit', while editing, as well: 11/5/75:

Memphis Press Scimitar interview: “Viv's Back and Rhoda's Got Her” Vivian Vance (Lucy's Ethel Mertz) is working on her own first book at present, entitled Go Home, Your Eyes Are Too Close Together, “. . . a piece of advice an agent gave me years ago, saying I couldn't possibly be photographed for years, that complex stayed with me,” (and which autobiography didn't see light of day until 1989, ten years after her death),” this interview published this date in 1975.

Wonder why we've not seen this.... can anyone respond to this p.r. from 1975? Thanks, JK

Vivian decided against publishing her autobiography because she wanted her privacy.

Vivian decided against publishing her autobiography because she wanted her privacy.

As always, thanks; it seems Lucille did the same; except, that Lucie 'found' it in her lawyer's vault. I think I remember reading something like that.

Harry, these pictures of Viv onstage are so exciting to see! Thanks so much for posting them. Love your caption with Phil Ober --Ha!

Joey, my first thought when I saw Viv in the first picture with the long dress was that she didn't look anything like Ethel Mertz :-)

Archived