Bobby Jellison with Jackie Gleason

I'm enjoying the 1949 Jackie Gleason version of "The Life of Riley" on my Roku (via pubdhub). Fun seeing Bobby Jellison in a recurring role and not just as Lucy's bellhop in Hollywood. Also interesting that this series was a few years before Lucy's tv show. The writers must have been watching as several plot lines seem to have been slightly borrowed. I write about that in my latest Nostalgic Rambler blog if you'd like to read it! http://nostalgicramb...e-of-riley.html

I'm enjoying the 1949 Jackie Gleason version of "The Life of Riley" on my Roku (via pubdhub). Fun seeing Bobby Jellison in a recurring role and not just as Lucy's bellhop in Hollywood. Also interesting that this series was a few years before Lucy's tv show. The writers must have been watching as several plot lines seem to have been slightly borrowed. I write about that in my latest Nostalgic Rambler blog if you'd like to read it! http://nostalgicramb...e-of-riley.html

Re your comments on your blog, yes, the Lucy writers borrowed from others same as eventually everybody borrowed from them too, there are just SO MANY plots in comedy or drama so they eventually all reuse the situations and make it for their own characters. OH AND WELCOME TO THE SITE, YOUR BLOG LOOKS GREAT!

I checked out the blog, very interesting, especially to those of us of a "certain age." However, I must ask how do we know exactly who was borrowing from whom? After all, Riley may have predated ILL by a year or two BUT as we all know, many early ILLs were "reworkings" of ORIGINAL radio scripts from My Favorite Husband, which I do believe, if memory serves, must have preceded Riley in origin.

Just sayin'. :lucyhaha:

I checked out the blog, very interesting, especially to those of us of a "certain age." However, I must ask how do we know exactly who was borrowing from whom? After all, Riley may have predated ILL by a year or two BUT as we all know, many early ILLs were "reworkings" of ORIGINAL radio scripts from My Favorite Husband, which I do believe, if memory serves, must have preceded Riley in origin.

Just sayin'. :lucyhaha:

EXACTLY what I was thinking.

You guys might be right......maybe the Riley staff was listening to "My Favorite Husband." Oh by the way yesterday I watched another episode and this time Mabel Paige aka "Mrs. Hansen" of the dress shop episode played a little old lady who gave Riley her hard earned money for him to bet on!

Archived