Shirley at the Derby

It's actually a series (with Shirley anyway) of four photos -- what a cool find!! -- one of which is captioned "SHIRLEY JONES JOINS HOLLYWOOD'S MILLIONTH VISITORS, MR. & MRS. BYRAN HARRYMAN AND THEIR SONS AT THE BROWN DERBY" and another says they are "SHIRLEY JONES, SALLY COBB AND HARRY SUGARMAN WITH HOLLYWOOD'S MILLIONTH VISITORS, MR. & MRS. BYRAN HARRYMAN" :D

Cool site, cooler pics and THANK YOU for posting this in the first place, how very very thoughtful!! :lucy1:

Lucyilove ""It's Eve Arden" :marionstrong: Heehee! Harry, YES! That is them -- how did I miss that? The inside cover/first page & last page/back cover of The Brown Derby book I read showed every picture that hung in the restaurant, & named them. I was looking for these caricatures to show you all (Lucy especially, because of her longer hair) & couldn't find any. I did find a bunch of other pictures on some other sites that I scattered all over the lounge, though :) . Viv & Desi did not have their pictures drawn. It was done mostly in the 30s & 40s. The tradition started when a hungry Polish man bartered his drawing skills for something to eat. When he left a few years later he was replaced by other artists. Joey, you're welcome -- I know you are a big fan of Shirley & when I saw her in the book I looked for the picture online. There is one other pose with this family standing out in front of the restaurant.

Sounds like MY type of book. So, if SHE says Lucy co star Jack Cassidy had a fling with Cole Porter but Porter is dead and so is Jack, can it still be true? Just googled her to find out about her sons, David's her step son with Jack, are the other three with Marty? Shaun, Ryan, and Patrick. Amazing that she says in front of Marty that if Jack hadn't died in that fire, she might be with him today.

'I shake my breasts at him': Partridge Family star Shirley Jones recalls her kinky sex life with husband Marty Ingels and famous ex-Jack Cassidy in tell-all book...

Sigh...could have died happy not reading that!! :lucydisgust:

David is always mistaken as Shirley's son but is in fact her STEPson with Jack Cassidy, father of her three sons Shaun ("Hardy Boys"), Patrick ("Music Man", "42nd Street (Broadway)) and Ryan ("The Facts of Life") Cassidy.

I don't care what she says about nutcase Ingels I'll never see what she sees in him! :lucyhorror:

'I shake my breasts at him': Partridge Family star Shirley Jones recalls her kinky sex life with husband Marty Ingels and famous ex-Jack Cassidy in tell-all book...

Sigh...could have died happy not reading that!! :lucydisgust:

David is always mistaken as Shirley's son but is in fact her STEPson with Jack Cassidy, father of her three sons Shaun ("Hardy Boys"), Patrick ("Music Man", "42nd Street (Broadway)) and Ryan ("The Facts of Life") Cassidy.

I don't care what she says about nutcase Ingels I'll never see what she sees in him! :lucyhorror:

Probably the same thing Lucy saw in Gary and Doris saw in Martin.

• 10 months later...

The couple on the right. They were doing Love Letters at a Sumer Stock theater in my town where I worked. Marty acted there back in the 50s.

Me too Luvs...they must have toured with it...I saw them do it years ago at the beautiful art deco Paramount Theatre in Oakland, CA (just across the bay from San Francisco).....

If anyone's interested in that sort of architecture and/or theatres that are still in use today of Art Deco design, the Paramount is featured prominently in the video release (still available I think on DVD) of Bonnie Raitt's excellent concert "Road Tested" (also on 2-cd). :D

51EERMK8VAL.jpg

I met the ladies.  Actually had a nice chat with Shirley Jones at one of the STAGE benefit after-parties.  (Luckily I hadn't read her book yet).  Was introduced to Lucy by Madelyn Davis!, Alas, never got to really talk to her.  I've seen the men in person. Marty was with Shirley the benefit night. I don't know that I was ever actually introduced to Gary.  He did chew me out over the phone once, though...in one of the most embarrassing moments of my life. (and  that's saying a LOT).

Me too Luvs...they must have toured with it...I saw them do it years ago at the beautiful art deco Paramount Theatre in Oakland, CA (just across the bay from San Francisco).....

If anyone's interested in that sort of architecture and/or theatres that are still in use today of Art Deco design, the Paramount is featured prominently in the video release (still available I think on DVD) of Bonnie Raitt's excellent concert "Road Tested" (also on 2-cd). :D

51EERMK8VAL.jpg

I think this story has had more performances than "South Pacific", but here goes....

I knew someone who had access to stars' home phone numbers and he asked if there were any that I wanted. JUST ONE.  I sat on it for a few months before I called and finally had it all planned out what I was going to say.  I picked 7:45pm figuring they would be done with dinner and not ready for bed yet.  SHE answered the phone!  with a terse "Who's calling please?" I didn't even get  my answer out before Gary got on the extension and Lucy hung up.  Gary wanted to know WHERE I got this number.  Not wanting to get my friend in trouble, I wouldn't say which made him even madder.  He ended the conversation with "I suggest you don't call here again and if there's any communication you want with Miss Ball, do it through correspondence" and hung up....

I actually recorded the conversation and cannot listen to it to this day.  It's so embarrassing because I'm trying to be so nice and he's getting so angry.  The more I apologized, the higher my voice got...

I can't say I blame them for the invasion of privacy.  She's just lucky I (or someone else) never climbed her wall.

I got up my nerve to call again a month or so later and the number was no longer working!!

Well, good for you for having the nerve to call, I would have also, it's not like you were interrupting anything, they never did anything anyway, LOL!  But a mere fan getting their unlisted number, what nerve!  If you and I had known each other back then, we'd have climbed that back wall and gone through the crap in that guesthouse, that's fer dang shur!  I've always liked you but I have a total new respect now, after hearing that.  Why don't you post the two pics you have with Lucy and Desi, they were awesome.

Archived