Festival headliner Kathy Madigan talks about Lucy

What does everyone think about what kathy says about Lucy and her style of comedy?

http://www.post-jour...l-Vacation.html

Madigan obviously has a different style of comedy than Lucy (stand-up instead of more physical). From the way the article's written, I don't think she's necessarily saying anything against Lucy or phsyical comedy other than it's different from her. Madigan does admit, though, that she enjoys watching physical comedy, and she speaks very highly of Lucy as a professional and a person. Just my two cents on it. :)

I agree Lucy didn't do stand up so why do they feel a festival full of stand up comedians is the best way to honor her. Also, why would the comedy hall of fame be a good fit for Jamestown?

I agree that it is a bit odd for Jamestown, NY, to be the hub of comedy. But how many slapstick comedians are around nowadays? They're all dead lol. I guess they feel they gotta bring in modern-day performers to entertain the masses. Otherwise Lucy Fest would just be contests with conveyor belts and chocolate or Lucy look-alikes. Kinda boring after so many years.

I agree Lucy didn't do stand up so why do they feel a festival full of stand up comedians is the best way to honor her. Also, why would the comedy hall of fame be a good fit for Jamestown?

What "Jab" said!! I've NEVER considered Lucille Ball a "comic" but rather a fine comedic/dramatic actress and in my mind there's a huge difference! Guess it's just me but this whole shoving a comics/comedian agenda makes no sense to me...Why can't we just promote (for lack of a better word) the Legacy of Laughter so lauded by Lucie and perpetuate, celebrate the legacy of her parents and all that they accomplished? I don't get it. :lucyshock:

What "Jab" said!! I've NEVER considered Lucille Ball a "comic" but rather a fine comedic/dramatic actress and in my mind there's a huge difference! Guess it's just me but this whole shoving a comics/comedian agenda makes no sense to me...Why can't we just promote (for lack of a better word) the Legacy of Laughter so lauded by Lucie and perpetuate, celebrate the legacy of her parents and all that they accomplished? I don't get it. :lucyshock:

It's all about money IMO. How can they bring in the big bucks from the Lucy Lovers and tourists? This will probably be the last festival for a long while that I will go to because it's so dang expensive. Which isn't right, IMO, because the money issue will just turn tourists off after a while.

Okay, skimmed the article. Would like to see this gal -- sounds very clever, and intelligent, always a compelling combination. "Any kind of business talk I just drift out and start Googling pictures of cats." :lol:

But frankly, never heard of her but I wish her well and hope the show's a smashing success! ;)

On her most recent Jamestown appearance, Lucie said the vision is a Comedy Hall of Fame that would honour all forms of comedy, obviously not just stand-up.

Unfortunately it seems to be less about Lucy and more about getting all the money from Lucy fans that they can so they can build their comedy hall of fame!

So for the first time in 8 years I will not be attending any of the festival events. I will be spending my time and money elsewhere

I attended a few events last year but the hideous orange building to match lucy's hair (apparently the center doesn't even remember she was a red head) and lack of any new Lucy related events will keep me away from future events. Enjoy the comedy hall of fame!

Archived