Festival headliner Kathy Madigan talks about Lucy

Unfortunately it seems to be less about Lucy and more about getting all the money from Lucy fans that they can so they can build their comedy hall of fame!

So for the first time in 8 years I will not be attending any of the festival events. I will be spending my time and money elsewhere

You and many others I fear. That place has NEVER been run right, why would that change NOW.

You and many others I fear. That place has NEVER been run right, why would that change NOW.

I have friends who are natives to Chautauqua County (Ashville and Panama areas to be more specific). On a recent visit to their home, we discussed the Lucy-Desi Center and the leadership situations of the past 10-15 years, particularly the upheval ~5 years ago. The husband noted that a particular seems to be common to Jamestown - something great comes to the Jamestown area, the wrong people get involved with it and it goes down the drain. Could the Center be another example of this?

Mary Jane Fan

I have friends who are natives to Chautauqua County (Ashville and Panama areas to be more specific). On a recent visit to their home, we discussed the Lucy-Desi Center and the leadership situations of the past 10-15 years, particularly the upheval ~5 years ago. The husband noted that a particular seems to be common to Jamestown - something great comes to the Jamestown area, the wrong people get involved with it and it goes down the drain. Could the Center be another example of this?

Mary Jane Fan

Sure SOUNDS like it! Sadly... :lucyshock:

I first went to the festival back in 1996 as a 17 year old and at my first ever gathering of Lucy fans. I’ve been to festivals since and going back through my stuff I realized that this festival in 96’ was the least Lucy centered I ever was to. In my mind at that time it seemed like I was surrounded with Lucy stuff. The festival I believe at that time was also trending more towards comedy and less on Lucy. It wasn’t until Ric came in the first time that changed the trend.

For example here are some of the events I remember from that 96’ festival. Friday night was the showing of Forever Darling on the big screen. Wonderful. Later that night back at the Reg was comedian Lewis Black’s stand up show. Very unLucy like. I had no idea who he was then, but have enjoyed his Back in Black segments on The Daily Show over the years.

Saturday I did a town tour, checked out the merch at the vendor fair, and went to the auction in the afternoon held at the LB theatre I believe. The big event that year was the opening of the museum that morning. Ribbon cutting, speeches, and food under a tent out on third street. I spent a lot of time in the museum that weekend. That night the show was Lucy themed but done as a revue. No impersonators, recreated scenes etc.. It was more a show of songs that chronicled Lucy’s life. Songs from movies she was in, or songs that just generally fit the mood of her life at that time sung by professional actors.

Sunday I don’t recall much other than a lot of museum time, but the headliner that night was Bob Newhart. I think they may have showed a few clips of his work at the beginning but it was just Bob doing his stand up act.

As a first time fan I loved it and enjoyed just learning about that town. As the years went on and I went to 2 LA conventions and about 3-4 more festivals (all after Ric had taken over) it was like Lucy on steroids at these gatherings. If I had not been to any of these before, this year would probably feel more like the first, but I have been to very Lucy centric events and now feel jipped.

Even at that time there was a section in the museum about comedy in general. I think if they want to go the comedy route, include events that honor the past (like all those people Lucy worked with, Bob, Sammy, Milton) and where comedy is going in the future. Comedy is not just standup. Comedic acting and stand up are 2 very different worlds. Lucy was not a standup, she was a comedic actress. Start to showcase that. Making it female centered is not bad either. EW did a cover story this year on woman who not only are staring in their own shows, but are writing and directing them to. It mentioned Lucy and Carol as pioneers in woman being in the forefront of their work. I think you have 2 ways to go. This look at the past and where we are going, or go back to an intent that was laid out a few years back with the healing through laughter idea. Either would be better than turning it into a stand up festival. There are much more attractive cities in the US/Canada already doing this yearly.

Mary Jane Fan

Hoping you haven't forgotten your friend from Celoron!!!!

I first went to the festival back in 1996 as a 17 year old and at my first ever gathering of Lucy fans. I’ve been to festivals since and going back through my stuff I realized that this festival in 96’ was the least Lucy centered I ever was to. In my mind at that time it seemed like I was surrounded with Lucy stuff. The festival I believe at that time was also trending more towards comedy and less on Lucy. It wasn’t until Ric came in the first time that changed the trend.

For example here are some of the events I remember from that 96’ festival. Friday night was the showing of Forever Darling on the big screen. Wonderful. Later that night back at the Reg was comedian Lewis Black’s stand up show. Very unLucy like. I had no idea who he was then, but have enjoyed his Back in Black segments on The Daily Show over the years.

Saturday I did a town tour, checked out the merch at the vendor fair, and went to the auction in the afternoon held at the LB theatre I believe. The big event that year was the opening of the museum that morning. Ribbon cutting, speeches, and food under a tent out on third street. I spent a lot of time in the museum that weekend. That night the show was Lucy themed but done as a revue. No impersonators, recreated scenes etc.. It was more a show of songs that chronicled Lucy’s life. Songs from movies she was in, or songs that just generally fit the mood of her life at that time sung by professional actors.

Sunday I don’t recall much other than a lot of museum time, but the headliner that night was Bob Newhart. I think they may have showed a few clips of his work at the beginning but it was just Bob doing his stand up act.

As a first time fan I loved it and enjoyed just learning about that town. As the years went on and I went to 2 LA conventions and about 3-4 more festivals (all after Ric had taken over) it was like Lucy on steroids at these gatherings. If I had not been to any of these before, this year would probably feel more like the first, but I have been to very Lucy centric events and now feel jipped.

Even at that time there was a section in the museum about comedy in general. I think if they want to go the comedy route, include events that honor the past (like all those people Lucy worked with, Bob, Sammy, Milton) and where comedy is going in the future. Comedy is not just standup. Comedic acting and stand up are 2 very different worlds. Lucy was not a standup, she was a comedic actress. Start to showcase that. Making it female centered is not bad either. EW did a cover story this year on woman who not only are staring in their own shows, but are writing and directing them to. It mentioned Lucy and Carol as pioneers in woman being in the forefront of their work. I think you have 2 ways to go. This look at the past and where we are going, or go back to an intent that was laid out a few years back with the healing through laughter idea. Either would be better than turning it into a stand up festival. There are much more attractive cities in the US/Canada already doing this yearly.

Exactly, we have that Just for Laughs Comedy Festival every year HERE in Montreal, this year I will add Kathy Griffin and Joan Rivers to my list of celebs I've seen in concert as well as many others. But to think these people would WANT to shlepp to Jamestown when they could be playing Vegas or N Y or any other major city where they'll get the audience they deserve. I dunno why they think they can't get the tourists to just come and see Lucy things, when SHE is the only thing that city is famous for anyway.

Baseball greats don't seem to mind schlepping out to Cooperstown.

No, I meant if you want to see a BIG comedy show, you go to a major venue in a major city, not Jamestown NY. Jamestown is famous for only one reason, the birthplace of Lucy and that's who they should be celebrating there.

I agree Lucy didn't do stand up so why do they feel a festival full of stand up comedians is the best way to honor her. Also, why would the comedy hall of fame be a good fit for Jamestown?

Let's JUST GET THEM IN HERE, a bunch at a time, and the fans can make up their own minds.

I don't believe Lucille would have been very good a stand-up, either; she was much too fidgety, donchathink? I think she loved it, though. I believe, truly, she would be very happy her hometown is going to follow-up on her wish for a comedy center. The numbers of them, unknown here, who are turning out, I find spectacularly great!!!!

This is about COMEDY, which, of course, comes in many forms. I, personally, fall on the floor for someone who has dry wit. Especially, those who don't even know they are funny.

Let's JUST GET THEM IN HERE, a bunch at a time, and the fans can make up their own minds.

I don't believe Lucille would have been very good a stand-up, either; she was much too fidgety, donchathink? I think she loved it, though. I believe, truly, she would be very happy her hometown is going to follow-up on her wish for a comedy center. The numbers of them, unknown here, who are turning out, I find spectacularly great!!!!

This is about COMEDY, which, of course, comes in many forms. I, personally, fall on the floor for someone who has dry wit. Especially, those who don't even know they are funny.

I disagree with only one thing you said Joyce, Lucy would have been like most stand up comics, full of twitches and quirks and nervous habits, they ALL have that. Nothing harder than trying to get laughs doing jokes one writes themselves. Lucy was an actress not a teller of jokes. I remember her commenting one time after she spoke at an event after Carol Burnett and she said herself I GUESS AFTER CAROL, I'M JUST NOT FUNNY. And their jokes were written by other people of course. If they were honoring C O M E D Y at the center, it should be HER type of comedy, Chaplin, Keaton, Laurel and Hardy, etc all the way to the funny men still with us today like the great Dick Van Dyke, who did HER type of comedy BEST.

Baseball greats don't seem to mind schlepping out to Cooperstown.

I have to jump in here; probably shouldn't; but, here is the scenario - Lucille Ball was from a small town; the town built a Museum in her family honor; people come here in her honor; MANY OTHER 'stars' come from small towns; the towns build a museum for some of them; people go there to honor their 'hero stars'.... get the point?

Jamestown is not nearly the backwoods some seem to think; it is a charming, famously historical place; much to see and do here; and Lucille Ball is from here.....OFF THE STAGE

"...it should be HER type of comedy, Chaplin, Keaton, Laurel and Hardy, etc all the way to the funny men still with us today like the great Dick Van Dyke, who did HER type of comedy BEST"....

Except for Dick Van Dyke (would be another great one to get here; but, these TYPES have placed themselves OUT OF THE REALM of possible with exhorbitant fees, and all kinds of extra 'needs' to come here); all Lucille's heroes are passed on; difficult to get them here!!!!

Carol Burnett should FIND A WAY; I believe she could if she really WANTED TO COME.... if NOT for Lucille; for Lucie; they are also friends with each other.

Back to the 'younger' ones they are trying to put before us these days; these people are struggling, as Lucille, herself, struggled, for many years; to get 'noticed'....if bringing stand-up here helps them, that's the way Lucille would have wanted it, I believe. Look at her Desilu Workshop, she helped them; how many made it??; and not more than a couple of THEM were Lucille's type of comedy. If she had wanted her type of comedy to boost the younger ones, she would have only hired that type for her workshop. She just wanted to give folks a chance to succeed. She even steered Robert Osborne AWAY from acting, and into something she recognized in him more important than acting....look what he has done with his life!!!! He credits Lucille Ball.... oh, Jesus, Joyce, get off the orange crate; no one is listening....

"...it should be HER type of comedy, Chaplin, Keaton, Laurel and Hardy, etc all the way to the funny men still with us today like the great Dick Van Dyke, who did HER type of comedy BEST"....

Except for Dick Van Dyke (would be another great one to get here; but, these TYPES have placed themselves OUT OF THE REALM of possible with exhorbitant fees, and all kinds of extra 'needs' to come here); all Lucille's heroes are passed on; difficult to get them here!!!!

Carol Burnett should FIND A WAY; I believe she could if she really WANTED TO COME.... if NOT for Lucille; for Lucie; they are also friends with each other.

Back to the 'younger' ones they are trying to put before us these days; these people are struggling, as Lucille, herself, struggled, for many years; to get 'noticed'....if bringing stand-up here helps them, that's the way Lucille would have wanted it, I believe. Look at her Desilu Workshop, she helped them; how many made it??; and not more than a couple of THEM were Lucille's type of comedy. If she had wanted her type of comedy to boost the younger ones, she would have only hired that type for her workshop. She just wanted to give folks a chance to succeed. She even steered Robert Osborne AWAY from acting, and into something she recognized in him more important than acting....look what he has done with his life!!!! He credits Lucille Ball.... oh, Jesus, Joyce, get off the orange crate; no one is listening....

Yes, we are listening, you make some good points. All I said was that HER Jamestown Museum should honor the greats in comedy that were her peers, not stand up comics, which is something you say she's never done, but she did, whenever she guested on someone's variety show or a Hope special, she did a stand up comedy routine and she did it all brilliantly. Maybe the Museum people heard that the Jimmy Stewart Museum in HIS hometown had to close for lack of interest, that's why they're diversifying for Lucy's place. But as long as there's a little tv show called I Love Lucy playing everywhere in the world, there will always be interest in Lucy and the many other things she did also.

And Y E S , Carol Burnett not going there is a sacrilege, shame that she considers Lucy her mentor yet can't find the day or two to go there and pay tribute to her, I hear she has this great story on Lucy, seems it was the second night of a play she was called once Upon a Mattress and she saw Lucy siting in the second, row, that flock of reddish hair . . . . YOU KNOW THE REST!

And Y E S , Carol Burnett not going there is a sacrilege, shame that she considers Lucy her mentor yet can't find the day or two to go there and pay tribute to her, I hear she has this great story on Lucy, seems it was the second night of a play she was called once Upon a Mattress and she saw Lucy siting in the second, row, that flock of reddish hair . . . . YOU KNOW THE REST!

:lol:

Jab, I enjoyed reading Ms Madigan's comments in the article. Sounds as though she is a fan of Lucy's work while at the same time acknowledging that they perform/ed in very different ways. I would go to see her show. (Another thing in her favor -- she's a redhead like Lucy :) ). PS -- Joyce, I'm listening :) !

Archived