Rare Lucille Ball memorabiliato be featured in live auction

During the festival the center will have a live auction featuring some of the rarest Lucille Ball memorabilia. Memorabilia from Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz that will be auctioned includes:

1. Lucille Ball's red velvet dress from Mame.
  2. Lucille Ball's pink sequined costume from the first episode of The Milton Berle Show.
  3. Lucille Ball's Charlie Chaplin costume (jacket and pants) from the The Lucy Show episode, "Chris' New Year's Eve Party".
  4. Lucille Ball's monogramed sewing case with initials engraved and sewing supplies enclosed.
  5. The Lucy Plate by Danbury Mint (one of 100 in existence).
  6. Collection of two clear glass ashtrays from Lucille Ball's Beverly Hills home.
  7. 1956 TV Stage magazine with Lucy and Desi on the cover (mounted).
  8. Original Two Smart People (1946) movie poster starring Lucille Ball and John Hodiak.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

so Instead of the center keeping these priceless outfits to honor Lucy and for the loving fans, they are auctioning them to make money for the comedy hall of fame. Still think they are moving in the right direction?

ISN'T THAT JUST DISGUSTING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't give a hoot about glass ashtrays from her home being auctioned off but the dress from Mame?????

During the festival the center will have a live auction featuring some of the rarest Lucille Ball memorabilia. Memorabilia from Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz that will be auctioned includes:

1. Lucille Ball's red velvet dress from Mame.

2. Lucille Ball's pink sequined costume from the first episode of The Milton Berle Show.

3. Lucille Ball's Charlie Chaplin costume (jacket and pants) from the The Lucy Show episode, "Chris' New Year's Eve Party".

4. Lucille Ball's monogramed sewing case with initials engraved and sewing supplies enclosed.

5. The Lucy Plate by Danbury Mint (one of 100 in existence).

6. Collection of two clear glass ashtrays from Lucille Ball's Beverly Hills home.

7. 1956 TV Stage magazine with Lucy and Desi on the cover (mounted).

8. Original Two Smart People (1946) movie poster starring Lucille Ball and John Hodiak.

A comedy hall of fame is one thing. This, however, is very concerning.

A friend said this stuff came from universal. However, if lucie donated it, the center now owns it and they legally cannot sell it! Why the hell would they sell memorabilia anyway. So much for the acquisitions fund that we all bought at the center! I have a knot in my stomach!

I HATE this! The center has mixed priorities, I am speechless! This is what the center wrote in response to Bill Rapaport's comment about the subject: "

Lucy Desi Center:Hi Bill, actually all of the costumes being auctioned are duplicates of the ones already displayed at our museum, so your concerns and assertions are unnecessary. For use in movies or television there are often two original pieces created. Along with the costumes, the other items are things we have additional pieces of in our archives, or in the case of the movie poster, this was recently donated specifically for use in the auction. As for being against our bi-laws, the auction has been a part of the festival for years, and this is by no means the first time the Center has conducted an auction; it’s not in violation of the bylaws. As always please feel free to express any serious concerns you have to our office and we can discuss. Thank you, Bill!"

"Bill Rapaport: The bylaws & the transfer agreement state that any of the Center's property can only be "distributed to another 501©(3) organization selected by Lucie Arnaz and Desi Arnaz, or their heirs, to be used strictly for those charitable purposes authorized pursuant to Section 501©(3) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1954, or the corresponding section of any future federal tax code." Previous auctions contained items that were donated specifically for those auctions; they did not include museum artifacts or anything from the archives."

The costumes are duplicates? So Lucy never wore the duplicates, right? Who the hell would want to buy duplicates if Lucy never touched them. I am so confused lol. This whole situation smells fishy.

The duplicates were made for Lucy and

(ETA: Accidently hit "post" too soon and thought I had deleted this. See longer post below.)

The costumes are duplicates? So Lucy never wore the duplicates, right? Who the hell would want to buy duplicates if Lucy never touched them. I am so confused lol. This whole situation smells fishy.

The duplicates were made for Lucy and probably worn by her too. For example, one copy of the Mame costume might have been worn by Lucy in the film and the other might have been worn on the publicity tour and on Here's Lucy.

The duplicates were made for Lucy and probably worn by her too. For example, one copy of the Mame costume might have been worn by Lucy in the film and the other might have been worn on the publicity tour and on Here's Lucy.

And I said ;) -- Oh. Well, they still shouldn't be put in an auction. Who the hell has the cash to buy something like that. Not the average Lucy fan, that's for sure. Greedy bastards.

So they have duplicates of the Chaplin costume (They have two, but they're not duplicates, they are from two different episodes) , the Milton Berle special costume, and her sewing kit?

So they have duplicates of the Chaplin costume (They have two, but they're not duplicates, they are from two different episodes) , the Milton Berle special costume, and her sewing kit?

That I do not know. I don't agree with this auction either, I just wanted to clear up that if they are indeed duplicates that they were made for Lucy and not just random copies.

Archived