Rare Lucille Ball memorabiliato be featured in live auction

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I was running the center fund raising would be a top priority and it wouldn't be done by selling items from the archives.

The archives should be organized and more lucy items should be put on display for the fans to enjoy. Exhibits should be rotated so that fans have a reason to keep coming back to the museum and playhouse (that name should be changed back).

Preserving lucy's legacy for current and future fans is what is important. The center should be a fun place and all of this drama and turmoil is ruining it.

The festivals used to be so much fun for the fans, when it was about Lucy. Now it's all about stand up comedy and the hall of fame and I'm just not interested in that.

Thanks to you all for making THIS thread the most interesting and fascinating lately, as we great fans had little or no idea how bad things were in this situation. It's a shocker all right, albeit not a totally unexpected one due to some of the people involved.

Unfortunately, there is nothing anyone can do about the auction or the center. I won't support either one. The board is gung ho on the Hall of Fame and that's that. It's the Lucy fans supporting this adventure that will make it happen. Without the fans, the hall of fame would not have gotten this far.

Have fun everyone! I have a garage sale and a fund raiser to prepare for in the next few days....

Unfortunately, there is nothing anyone can do about the auction or the center. I won't support either one. The board is gung ho on the Hall of Fame and that's that. It's the Lucy fans supporting this adventure that will make it happen. Without the fans, the hall of fame would not have gotten this far.

Have fun everyone! I have a garage sale and a fund raiser to prepare for in the next few days....

Good luck with that, and how come YOU were never elected to the Board or management at the Center instead of the YUTZES that were.

Where were you when this whole saga went down a few years ago, Claude? :lol:

I told you, i'm O L D and I have forgotten more than I can remember, what were we talking about again, I don't know where Mr Rappoport figures in all this, all I remember is the guy leaving (Wyman) and them checking his car for any stealing and sheeyit.

I said my peace to Mary R the other day. This is absolutely horse shit with what they are doing. Let's get all our money together and buy the center! Restore it back to what it deserves to be. A center to preserve Lucy and Desi's legacy.

Also the fact that there are so many fans that wish to go to Jamestown and see these pieces of history and who knows? In a year, half of the Lucy archives could be gone! I would be even more pissed than I am today, since I have yet to get to Jamestown.

But cmon, their number one concern should be to keep Lucy alive.

Lucy's Polka Dot dress sold for $140,000.00. See how important the queen of comedy is:) And no, I did not win:(

I am waiting to win the duplicate someday:)

W O W very impressive. Do you realize how often we saw Lucy in that dress, a movie, so many tv shows and home photo shoots. You should never have stopped bidding at 139 thou !

Oh my GAWD they sold her polkadotted dress!?!?! Mo-Fo's..This is just awful. they are really really just getting rid of too much of the memories that were entrusted to it..it's just wrong! Dayamn. At least Taylor and I get to see some of it this year..maybe..a little bit? Sigh..

Oh my GAWD they sold her polkadotted dress!?!?! Mo-Fo's..This is just awful. they are really really just getting rid of too much of the memories that were entrusted to it..it's just wrong! Dayamn. At least Taylor and I get to see some of it this year..maybe..a little bit? Sigh..

The polka-dot dress was part of a separate sale from a private collection auctioned off in California a few hours ago. :)

If I was running the center fund raising would be a top priority and it wouldn't be done by selling items from the archives.

The archives should be organized and more lucy items should be put on display for the fans to enjoy. Exhibits should be rotated so that fans have a reason to keep coming back to the museum and playhouse (that name should be changed back).

Preserving lucy's legacy for current and future fans is what is important. The center should be a fun place and all of this drama and turmoil is ruining it.

The festivals used to be so much fun for the fans, when it was about Lucy. Now it's all about stand up comedy and the hall of fame and I'm just not interested in that.

Hi Jessica: Mary R. 'introduced' you to me yesterday; stating your credentials, etc., in a visit to 59 Lucy Lane. I'll try to 'meet you in person' over the next couple of days. JK

The polka-dot dress was part of a separate sale from a private collection auctioned off in California a few hours ago. :)

Thanks for saying this, Brock; I just learned the facts about that item, and others, myself; as well - in speaking with Mary Rapaport; stopped in for a visit at 59 Lucy Lane, my old childhood neighborhood. She set me straight on this PRIVATE, PERSONAL COLLECTION; what that man had is unbelievable - Mickey Mantle's REAL baseball card!!!! MUCH more; too bad Bill Rapaport didn't win with a bid over 139 thou.... Wouldn't THAT have been a coup?????

Mary 'scored' quite a few items, none of which she mentioned to me; come to LucyLane this next few days and ask her.... YOU JUST GOTTA SEE THE BLUE POLKA DOT GARAGE, with countless hand-made LUCY items!!!! UNBELIEVABLE!!!!

Starting bids for the live auction tomorrow:

1. Original "Two Smart People" poster: No reserve. ($0)

2. 1956 TV Stage Magazine: No reserve.

3. Set of two glass ashtrays from Roxbury: Minimum bid $150

4. Danbury Mint Test Plate: Starting Bid: $1,000 :o

5. Lucy's "LBM" Sewing Case: Starting Bid: $2,000

6. Charlie Chaplin Outfit from TLS: Staring Bid: $8,000!

7. Pink Sequined Milton Berle outfit: Starting Bid: $5,000

8. Mame Costume: Starting Bid: $9,000! :o :o

I hope Mary checks back in to share some details she shared at Lucy Lane today.

So, none of the big ticket items sold this year -- which isn't too surprising considering the high opening bids. I was looking all over for Joyce but couldn't see her. Of the items listed above, only the first three sold. I thought I overheard Journey telling a person ahead of me in line that the unsold items were still technically up for bid, but I misheard and they are not. When I asked her, however, she said they had a bidder over the phone who said she would be placing bids today at these prices but at crunch time, her bids were not made. When I asked Journey whether the opening bids were based on what this woman was prepared to bid, the conversation was terminated very swiftly. Make of that what you will.

Interesting input, Brock. I'm glad that the artifacts/memorabilia still belong to the Center, which, in my opinion, is where they belong. I personally wouldn't put it past the Center to try to sell these items and/or others in the future.

Joyce had been out at 59 Lucy Lane earlier today, and I was glad to see her while I was there shopping. Joyce had a luncheon engagement today, but she says she'll be at the Lucy Radio show later this afternoon. :)

As a side note to those who may be going to the Lucy and Ethel dinner this evening, if you want the seat(s) that you signed up for, get there EARLY and be ready to go in ASAP. I heard this morning that the reserved seating isn't being enforced/honored. I'll be sure to be there early as I got good seating. I pity the fool who might try to take my seat assignment! :D

So, none of the big ticket items sold this year -- which isn't too surprising considering the high opening bids. I was looking all over for Joyce but couldn't see her. Of the items listed above, only the first three sold. I thought I overheard Journey telling a person ahead of me in line that the unsold items were still technically up for bid, but I misheard and they are not. When I asked her, however, she said they had a bidder over the phone who said she would be placing bids today at these prices but at crunch time, her bids were not made. When I asked Journey whether the opening bids were based on what this woman was prepared to bid, the conversation was terminated very swiftly. Make of that what you will.

So sorry about that, Brock; I almost forgot a luncheon engagement I had with a friend from Florida who is here visiting her mother, my best friend, 92 years young; her birthday is the 10th; we have tons of Leos in Jamestown. Of course, I could NOT stand them up; so, had to let the auction go by the way. Seeing you later, though, made up for the non-appearance. I just loved THAT!!!! Loving you, JK

Starting bids for the live auction tomorrow:

1. Original "Two Smart People" poster: No reserve. ($0)

2. 1956 TV Stage Magazine: No reserve.

3. Set of two glass ashtrays from Roxbury: Minimum bid $150

4. Danbury Mint Test Plate: Starting Bid: $1,000 :o

5. Lucy's "LBM" Sewing Case: Starting Bid: $2,000

6. Charlie Chaplin Outfit from TLS: Staring Bid: $8,000!

7. Pink Sequined Milton Berle outfit: Starting Bid: $5,000

8. Mame Costume: Starting Bid: $9,000! :o :o

I hope Mary checks back in to share some details she shared at Lucy Lane today.

I was told that the outfits that were up for auction were MADE for Universal Studios for display.

The Center never advertised that these outfits were doubles, duplicates, remakes, seconds or fakes. It was a very mis-leading sale to say the least. Outfits that were MADE for display purposes should never be said to be Lucille Ball's in any way, shape or form. Shame on the Center for their auction!

Thanks to smart fans who did not bid on these items:)

I was told that the outfits that were up for auction were MADE for Universal Studios for display.

The Center never advertised that these outfits were doubles, duplicates, remakes, seconds or fakes. It was a very mis-leading sale to say the least. Outfits that were MADE for display purposes should never be said to be Lucille Ball's in any way, shape or form. Shame on the Center for their auction!

Thanks to smart fans who did not bid on these items:)

As ALWAYS, thanks for the credible information surrounding the 'items'; AND....

THANKS for the wonderful hospitality at 59 Lucy Lane! It's my understanding the $1000 raised from the Bar-B-Q 'lunch' for Hospice ('end-of-life' care of cancer patients pets) was a 'wonderful benefit' Lucille would have approved of; since she was also an animal lover. JK

Archived