Rare Lucille Ball memorabiliato be featured in live auction

I was told that the outfits that were up for auction were MADE for Universal Studios for display.

The Center never advertised that these outfits were doubles, duplicates, remakes, seconds or fakes. It was a very mis-leading sale to say the least. Outfits that were MADE for display purposes should never be said to be Lucille Ball's in any way, shape or form. Shame on the Center for their auction!

Thanks to smart fans who did not bid on these items:)

The auction catalogue did say they were duplicates/doubles but did not say whether or not they were made specifically for Universal.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As ALWAYS, thanks for the credible information surrounding the 'items'; AND....

THANKS for the wonderful hospitality at 59 Lucy Lane! It's my understanding the $1000 raised from the Bar-B-Q 'lunch' for Hospice ('end-of-life' care of cancer patients pets) was a 'wonderful benefit' Lucille would have approved of; since she was also an animal lover. JK

$1,223 to be exact! Amazing weekend at Lucy lane with all the wonderful and generous Lucy fans!

As ALWAYS, thanks for the credible information surrounding the 'items'; AND....

THANKS for the wonderful hospitality at 59 Lucy Lane! It's my understanding the $1000 raised from the Bar-B-Q 'lunch' for Hospice ('end-of-life' care of cancer patients pets) was a 'wonderful benefit' Lucille would have approved of; since she was also an animal lover. JK

Surprise surprise the center caught in another lie... So glad none of the costumes sold!

I was told that the outfits that were up for auction were MADE for Universal Studios for display.

The Center never advertised that these outfits were doubles, duplicates, remakes, seconds or fakes. It was a very mis-leading sale to say the least. Outfits that were MADE for display purposes should never be said to be Lucille Ball's in any way, shape or form. Shame on the Center for their auction!

Thanks to smart fans who did not bid on these items:)

Mary thanks for the auction information. I knew that at least 2 of those pieces were from Universal LA as I saw them there before and read once the exhibit was closed they made their way to the museum. Like I had said before I read that little plaque when I was out there that said certain items were recreated for the exhibit. I sort of took that to mean the awards, but it would make sense that it would extend to some of the clothes as well.

Why the museum could not just be honest and say these were the Universal LA pieces which were recreations is beyond me. It would still make them collectable to an extent and the backlash would have been far less I believe. They billed them as duplicates when the truth is they are in fact recreations of an original item. They are not duplicates in the way they answered concerned fans questions by saying “often 2 costumes were made for a production”. It’s not misleading it’s just down right dishonest. Does the museum own the original item they are duplicates of? This was the reason why they said they were selling them.

Mary thanks for the auction information. I knew that at least 2 of those pieces were from Universal LA as I saw them there before and read once the exhibit was closed they made their way to the museum. Like I had said before I read that little plaque when I was out there that said certain items were recreated for the exhibit. I sort of took that to mean the awards, but it would make sense that it would extend to some of the clothes as well.

Why the museum could not just be honest and say these were the Universal LA pieces which were recreations is beyond me. It would still make them collectable to an extent and the backlash would have been far less I believe. They billed them as duplicates when the truth is they are in fact recreations of an original item. They are not duplicates in the way they answered concerned fans questions by saying “often 2 costumes were made for a production”. It’s not misleading it’s just down right dishonest. Does the museum own the original item they are duplicates of? This was the reason why they said they were selling them.

Good question Luvsbway. Unfortunately, Journey answers everything in circles cuz she does not have the answers. Hell, she would be the first to fail Lucy trivia 101:)

The auction catalogue did say they were duplicates/doubles but did not say whether or not they were made specifically for Universal.

So Journeys mis-leading sale is in writing. I was told by an insider that they were made for the display at Universal. When was that display created?

So Journeys mis-leading sale is in writing. I was told by an insider that they were made for the display at Universal. When was that display created?

In each respective listing for for the Chaplin Costume, the Milton Berle costume, and the Mame outfit, it notes "one of two costumes made" so...it is very ambiguous.

IMDb states:

Costumes designed by Theadora Van Runkle for this movie often turn up in other productions. The loose, flowing white gown Lucille Ball wears during "Loving You" was worn (with a different belt) by Suzanne Pleshette in the television movie Leona Helmsley: The Queen of Mean, while the stylish dress, coat and hat Mame wears when she first takes Patrick to Ralph Devine's school is worn by Jane Alexander in Malice in Wonderland. Currently, the red dress from the "It's Today" number is on display at Universal Studios Hollywood's Lucy exhibit.

Now if it was on Display there and at the Museum, who is telling the truth here:)

IMDb states:

Costumes designed by Theadora Van Runkle for this movie often turn up in other productions. The loose, flowing white gown Lucille Ball wears during "Loving You" was worn (with a different belt) by Suzanne Pleshette in the television movie Leona Helmsley: The Queen of Mean, while the stylish dress, coat and hat Mame wears when she first takes Patrick to Ralph Devine's school is worn by Jane Alexander in Malice in Wonderland. Currently, the red dress from the "It's Today" number is on display at Universal Studios Hollywood's Lucy exhibit.

Now if it was on Display there and at the Museum, who is telling the truth here:)

Had no idea they had been worn by others later on, will look for them in the projects you mention.

IMDb states:

Thanks for this information.

..... sounds like 'someone' is getting in over the-i-r head here.... kinda 'fun' to watch and hear....

IMDb states:

Currently, the red dress from the "It's Today" number is on display at Universal Studios Hollywood's Lucy exhibit.

Not sure when that blurb was dated but the Universal Lucy exhibit, at least here in LA (not sure it applies to Florida too) has been closed for years now! :lucyshock:

Starting bids for the live auction tomorrow:

1. Original "Two Smart People" poster: No reserve. ($0)

2. 1956 TV Stage Magazine: No reserve.

3. Set of two glass ashtrays from Roxbury: Minimum bid $150

4. Danbury Mint Test Plate: Starting Bid: $1,000 :o

5. Lucy's "LBM" Sewing Case: Starting Bid: $2,000

6. Charlie Chaplin Outfit from TLS: Staring Bid: $8,000!

7. Pink Sequined Milton Berle outfit: Starting Bid: $5,000

8. Mame Costume: Starting Bid: $9,000! :o :o

I hope Mary checks back in to share some details she shared at Lucy Lane today.

What Mame costume? If Jerry Fogel can fit into the kangaroo suit, maybe I could wear this one.

Thanks for this information.

..... sounds like 'someone' is getting in over the-i-r head here.... kinda 'fun' to watch and hear....

Oh my...I think she's going to be swimming in it soon.. poor Journey.. Poor girl Muhahhaha I can't imagine a person who deserves getting hers..hmmm

I have two theories:

1. Shelly posted a link in another thread which featured the polka dot dress from Lucy Goes To Mexico which had the $160,000 price tag, so there could have been two different dresses in two separate auctions.

2. Only one dress, but people are coming up with the $160,000 figure from the $140,000 mark by including the buyer's premium in the final sale price.

From the CBC today:

Lucille Ball's signature polka dot dress has sold at a celebrity auction house in California for $168,000 US.

At a recent Profiles in History sale, the "signature Lucy Ricardo polka dot dress designed by Elois Jenssen for I Love Lucy" sold for $140,000 (all figures US), with auction house fees bringing the total to $168,000.

"Without question, this is the 'Holy Grail' of all female television costumes," according to Profiles in History. The dress sold for far more than its expected take of $40,000 to $60,000.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/arts/story/2013/08/09/lucille-ball-dress-auction.html

We all heard that Bill Rapaport failed to grasp the costume at 139 thou; today, on Good Morning America! word is it went for 158 thou.....!!!!! was there further bidding, then? We all heard from Mary it went for 141 thou wasn't it????

Joyce, the higher price is with commissions and fees. It did sell for 140,000.00.

• 1 month later...

Archived