The Lucy Show OR Here's Lucy

S L A M M E R !

Like I said in the photo thread. Never fails. :D

Now of course Lucy was embarrassed if pictures or talk was going around about Desi's womanizing. But as for a simple kiss with a close friend, I'm sure she didn't mind and that goes vice versa. It's not like he was laying Viv on the table and they were necking. (Waiting for Claude's next comment ;))

Like I said in the photo thread. Never fails. :D

Now of course Lucy was embarrassed if pictures or talk was going around about Desi's womanizing. But as for a simple kiss with a close friend, I'm sure she didn't mind and that goes vice versa. It's not like he was laying Viv on the table and they were necking. (Waiting for Claude's next comment ;))

Well, when they did, he certainly didn t allow photographers there, LOL! I want to admit to a lie here, I said I preferred The Lucy show to Here s Lucy, B U T every time I play a dvd it s usually of Here s Lucy, I love seeing the actors of that time period, seeing Lucy interact with her own kids and she was even bigger in show biz by the time this series played.

Well, when they did, he certainly didn t allow photographers there, LOL! I want to admit to a lie here, is aid I preferred The Lucy show to Here s Lucy, B U T every time I play a dvd it s usually of Here s Lucy, I love seeing the actors of that time period, seeing Lucy interact with her own kids and she was even bigger in show biz by the time this series played.

One of my favorite things about The Lucy Show and Here's Lucy is her change of looks through those 12 years. From hair to eye shadow to nails to eyelashes to her style. But that's the same through her whole life. Always gorgeous no matter the look.

Without a doubt, the best post-Ricardo Lucy season is Season One of THE LUCY SHOW. The funniest episodes from the entire series and the only episodes that, if I'm being honest with myself, can make me laugh as frequently as an I LOVE LUCY, are featured in this year as well. (Shower, antenna, boat, mattress, sister, fireman, dates) And, though it pains me to admit it, this is the only post-Ricardo season that I think is truly, no-strings-attached, great.

I have never understood the praise for Season Two of THE LUCY SHOW. I suppose I could say it's one of the series' most consistent years. But I don't think the base level of quality was as high as it had been the previous season. Furthermore, I think it was clear that our beloved Bob and Madelyn were burnt out of ideas for Mrs. Carmichael. Are there some strong episodes? Of course. (Symphony, lease, vault 2 parter). I know many will disagree, but this is probably the least funny of the Vivian years for me.

Now, Season Three has very strange vibes. The scripts are less consistent, and its obvious a change of *some sort* has occurred off camera. That being said, if I evaluate the season honestly, I laughed much more during these episodes than I did in the previous batch. Lucy was put in funnier situations. Were they less motivated? Depends which episode you're talking about. Some stuff fell flat for me. (Coin collector, stamp) But others were hilarious! (Cook, pinch, stockholder, disk jokey, all of the countess episodes) Not of the same quality as Season One, but funny in itself.

I have more mixed feelings about Season Four than any other season. I want desperately to like it a lot and sometimes I can almost convince myself that I do. I knew Vivian's loss would be a big one, but I was impressed that the show could take such a risk and change formats. In the beginning, when the location seemed fresh, it was exciting. But the year wore on and I just felt like the ball was dropped. So many middling episodes that just aren't as funny as they should be and don't show Lucy in the best light. The difference between Season One and Season Four is startling.

I first saw Season Five in a public domain release. Having only seen I LOVE LUCY at the time, I found it shockingly inadequate. My opinions of the episodes improved by the time the official release came out. But I have to be honest and say, this is probably the season I like least from this series. I suppose my problem is, not only are the scripts just weaker, but the Lucy character lacks nuance, development, and at times, likability. More importantly, she plays off of average guest stars and lacks a strong supporting cast. Gale is one note, Mary Jane rarely gets the chance to shine. The stability of her early years seems completely eradicated. I just felt like there was little to grasp on to and feel good about.

I thought Season Six was the best Hollywood season of THE LUCY SHOW, simply because it made me laugh the most. I thought some of the premises were more interesting, and I felt Lucy was, in general, looser and more honest this season. Some truly funny stuff this season. (little old, involved, stole)

If I had to rank THE LUCY SHOW seasons: 1,3,2,6,4,5. As for which series I liked better, I'll tell you when I post my thoughts on HERE'S LUCY.

• Like 2

One of my favorite things about The Lucy Show and Here's Lucy is her change of looks through those 12 years. From hair to eye shadow to nails to eyelashes to her style. But that's the same through her whole life. Always gorgeous no matter the look.

A real shock to the system though is putting a tv set playing I Love Lucy on one side and then Lucy in the Lucy show on the other, looks like two totally different people.

• Like 1

Without a doubt, the best post-Ricardo Lucy season is Season One of THE LUCY SHOW. The funniest episodes from the entire series and the only episodes that, if I'm being honest with myself, can make me laugh as frequently as an I LOVE LUCY, are featured in this year as well. (Shower, antenna, boat, mattress, sister, fireman, dates) And, though it pains me to admit it, this is the only post-Ricardo season that I think is truly, no-strings-attached, great.

I have never understood the praise for Season Two of THE LUCY SHOW. I suppose I could say it's one of the series' most consistent years. But I don't think the base level of quality was as high as it had been the previous season. Furthermore, I think it was clear that our beloved Bob and Madelyn were burnt out of ideas for Mrs. Carmichael. Are there some strong episodes? Of course. (Symphony, lease, vault 2 parter). I know many will disagree, but this is probably the least funny of the Vivian years for me.

Now, Season Three has very strange vibes. The scripts are less consistent, and its obvious a change of *some sort* has occurred off camera. That being said, if I evaluate the season honestly, I laughed much more during these episodes than I did in the previous batch. Lucy was put in funnier situations. Were they less motivated? Depends which episode you're talking about. Some stuff fell flat for me. (Coin collector, stamp) But others were hilarious! (Cook, pinch, stockholder, disk jokey, all of the countess episodes) Not of the same quality as Season One, but funny in itself.

I have more mixed feelings about Season Four than any other season. I want desperately to like it a lot and sometimes I can almost convince myself that I do. I knew Vivian's loss would be a big one, but I was impressed that the show could take such a risk and change formats. In the beginning, when the location seemed fresh, it was exciting. But the year wore on and I just felt like the ball was dropped. So many middling episodes that just aren't as funny as they should be and don't show Lucy in the best light. The difference between Season One and Season Four is startling.

I first saw Season Five in a public domain release. Having only seen I LOVE LUCY at the time, I found it shockingly inadequate. My opinions of the episodes improved by the time the official release came out. But I have to be honest and say, this is probably the season I like least from this series. I suppose my problem is, not only are the scripts just weaker, but the Lucy character lacks nuance, development, and at times, likability. More importantly, she plays off of average guest stars and lacks a strong supporting cast. Gale is one note, Mary Jane rarely gets the chance to shine. The stability of her early years seems completely eradicated. I just felt like there was little to grasp on to and feel good about.

I thought Season Six was the best Hollywood season of THE LUCY SHOW, simply because it made me laugh the most. I thought some of the premises were more interesting, and I felt Lucy was, in general, looser and more honest this season. Some truly funny stuff this season. (little old, involved, stole)

If I had to rank THE LUCY SHOW seasons: 1,3,2,6,4,5. As for which series I liked better, I'll tell you when I post my thoughts on HERE'S LUCY.

I find a lot of what you wrote (although not in its entirety) in line with my own thinking and feelings about TLS. Thanks for articulating it all so thoughtfully and with what seems to be an objective, keen eye. :lucyhehe:
  • Like 1

Continuing with my thoughts on HERE'S LUCY...

Season One really surprised me upon my first viewing. I thought the episodes were better than the Public Domain Season Five LUCY SHOW episodes. (I hadn't seen any of the Post-Viv official releases yet.) The kids are VERY difficult to swallow, and many of the stories are silly, but again... my favorite episodes from this series come from this season. (fixer, matchmaker, caesar romero, shopping, jack benny). I laughed more this year than in some other previous seasons. And "Lucy, The Fixer" is one of my absolute favorite Lucille performances.

Season Two was a major disappointment for me. The location episodes didn't strike me as great, and without any real standouts like last season, the middling level of quality was entirely too apparent. There were some stronger episodes near the end of the season, and I think the Burnett episode is one of their best joint performances together.

Season Three has the big episode. And I enjoy Burton and Taylor's appearance just fine. Plot isn't new, but THE ring makes it specific to the couple and the script works. Unfortunately, I think many of the episodes this season do NOT work. And I think this season contains some of the worst installments. (Ma Parker, anyone?) I have always been surprised to see people adore this season. Maybe I'm missing something.

I'm a little mixed on Season Four. There were episodes that made me laugh and then episodes that are truthfully best left forgotten. I didn't miss Craig, but Kim's character had definitely improved. There are a lot of little things I like here and there, but nothing major. (And I've never cottoned to Vivian's appearance this season. Have always preferred her Season One guest shot.)

Season Five is a definite improvement. I'd heard that Lucille's broken leg brought continuity and a little more heart into the series, but honestly, the leg episodes are the low points of the year for me. Things really take off in the second half with some excellent (for HERE'S LUCY) installments. (group encounter, mechanics, pot, hips). And, okay, maybe it's just me, but Totie Fields cracks me up! In comparison to the three preceding seasons, this one looks stellar.

Season Six was also surprisingly funny. I laughed more through this season than any other since Season One. Several episodes really worked for me. (widow, tenant, joan rivers, cops & robbers, wandering mother) I liked that Lucie, who by now I could appreciate, was recurring. I liked that Mary Jane got development. And I just felt that Lucy was looser this season. To me, it looked like she had more fun. Some of the funniest episodes come from this year.

If I had to rank the seasons, I'd do: 6,5,1 all tied for first. Then 4. And then 2 and 3 tied for worst. Now, because this topic was THE LUCY SHOW vs. HERE'S LUCY, I'm going to rank them against each other.

TLS1

TLS3

TLS2

HL6, HL5, & HL1

TLS6

HL4

TLS4

TLS5

HL3 & HL2

So, I obviously like the Vivian years of THE LUCY SHOW best. But the best episodes of HERE'S LUCY (which I generally find in Seasons One, Five, and Six) are better than the California years of THE LUCY SHOW. And the worst episodes of THE LUCY SHOW are still better than the worst episodes of HERE'S LUCY.

I've always loved both TLS and HL. The only complaint I can think of is the characters lacked real development (outside of Lucy, Vivian, and Gale), and the overall cohesiveness from episode to episode.

IMO, what's missing from TLS and HL wasn't Desi leaving in the first season, or Madelyn and Bob leaving in season three (though they were obviously integral). I think the major missing component was Jess Oppenheimer. Madelyn and the three Bobs wrote the majority of the ILL scripts, but I think the magic was in Jess tightening up the scripts, making them each cohesive, and his hand in guiding the overall direction of the show each season.

The story of the Ricardos and the Mertzes progressed and evolved each season (whether that be because the writers decided to so, or they had to accommodate a pregnant Lucille Ball). You grew to love and care about the characters outside of Lucy's genius as a performer. You can see the difference in the overall quality of the shows after he left.

Having said that, I usually prefer to watch Lucy in TLS over the other shows (though I LOVE watching Lucille Ball in just about anything lol). Not just because I've see every ILL episode many times before, but because Lucy was literally BRILLIANT in TLS (IMO). Even more so than she was on ILL because she had perfected the character. She never slacked in her work. Some performers grow tired of performing the same character and you really see it after a number of years, but you never got the sense with Lucille Ball. ILL had better scripts, but as far as watching the master perform.. TLS is where it's at, IMO.

That brilliance could still be seen on HL too... though Lucy was fighting against scripts that weren't up always up to par. She's always incredible to watch.

Just my two cents. lol

• Like 1

I agree 100 percent....Jess was missed immensely in season 6 of ILL and the hour shows....in fact that is why (I believe) MFH and ILL were catalpulting Miss Ball into show business stratosphere..... It was because of.HER that TLS had some beautiful commedic moments..... Its a shame Jess and Lucille couldnt stay working.together...for whatever reason... They.were wonderful together

Ok...where are we with the majority of our members.... What series leads? Reguardless....I want yu all to know as much as I dislike Heres Lucy at times....I still like it MUCH better than How I Met Your Mother :)

Well, in that vain, I like a political discussion with homophobes more interesting than How I Met Your Mother, LOL!

I've always loved both TLS and HL. The only complaint I can think of is the characters lacked real development (outside of Lucy, Vivian, and Gale), and the overall cohesiveness from episode to episode.

IMO, what's missing from TLS and HL wasn't Desi leaving in the first season, or Madelyn and Bob leaving in season three (though they were obviously integral). I think the major missing component was Jess Oppenheimer. Madelyn and the three Bobs wrote the majority of the ILL scripts, but I think the magic was in Jess tightening up the scripts, making them each cohesive, and his hand in guiding the overall direction of the show each season.

The story of the Ricardos and the Mertzes progressed and evolved each season (whether that be because the writers decided to so, or they had to accommodate a pregnant Lucille Ball). You grew to love and care about the characters outside of Lucy's genius as a performer. You can see the difference in the overall quality of the shows after he left.

Having said that, I usually prefer to watch Lucy in TLS over the other shows (though I LOVE watching Lucille Ball in just about anything lol). Not just because I've see every ILL episode many times before, but because Lucy was literally BRILLIANT in TLS (IMO). Even more so than she was on ILL because she had perfected the character. She never slacked in her work. Some performers grow tired of performing the same character and you really see it after a number of years, but you never got the sense with Lucille Ball. ILL had better scripts, but as far as watching the master perform.. TLS is where it's at, IMO.

That brilliance could still be seen on HL too... though Lucy was fighting against scripts that weren't up always up to par. She's always incredible to watch.

Just my two cents. lol

So true and again, well said!

I agree 100 percent....Jess was missed immensely in season 6 of ILL and the hour shows....in fact that is why (I believe) MFH and ILL were catalpulting Miss Ball into show business stratosphere..... It was because of.HER that TLS had some beautiful commedic moments..... Its a shame Jess and Lucille couldnt stay working.together...for whatever reason... They.were wonderful together

They could have, it was Desi and Jess who could not get along. Lucy then turned on him when he sued saying every character she played was a version of Lucy Ricardo.

I rather watch HIMYM. Those discussions make me lose faith in the human race. Hateful bastards!

Well, dearie, that`s why I picked that particular subject and those particular morons as I wanted to show what I was ready to sit through rather than that unfunny show, LOL! But the actors are great, fire those writers though.