Colorized "I Love Lucy" DVD set for Nov. 5, CBS Special airs Dec. 20

Brock

That's why I'd rather regret going down fighting & trying, rather than not. It's just like Lucille (Lucy) Ball said herself. To quote her, she said, "I'd rather regret the things I've done, than the things I haven't done." No "what ifs" or "only ifs." I know I'm doing the right thing, with all that I've said, and all the questions I asked, regarding this topic. :);)

• Replies 743
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even if they think people (fans in particular won't notice, they're wrong. Regardless if they've seen the onset color still photographs and/or the Jamestown sets, people will still know, and will be able to tell the difference. They'll be like, "I either saw photographs or the sets, and this is different from what I saw" I know the colors of the Jamestown sets were wrong, but I'd even take that, and the colors of those sets, and/or grayscale sets over the 1989/1990 colorization.

I remember that feeling, too!! I got my first real glimpse of Lucy in color on the Complete Series DVD set. The montage of Desi singing the theme song, and Lucy waltzing into the living room with a flourish of her skirt literally made me cry. Seeing the original stills of the Christmas special make me realize just how incorrect the colorization was, however, I am of the school that would love the show in full, stunning color. I can be patient, though! I'd love it, as long as the quality was great and painstakingkly-researched. There's a lot of money yo be made here if CBS releases the show correctly the first time...

Dun't worry, those CBS accountants never miss a trick.

This is so exciting! And thank goodness they are redoing the color! The previously released colorized Christmas episode was extremely disappointing. Until I learned otherwise, I just thought the set was really that ugly! Lol

They're not redoing the color. This release is all previously done material.

This is so exciting! And thank goodness they are redoing the color! The previously released colorized Christmas episode was extremely disappointing. Until I learned otherwise, I just thought the set was really that ugly! Lol

Doesn't matter to me, as long as a Lucy special is on Prime Time and a new DVD of Lucy material hits the shelves and in C O L O R to boot! What other 60 year old show is getting this type of treatment?

I find the debate about the colorized versions of the show similar to an ongoing debate among railfans and our vintage movies. There are some good old movies of trains; even some neat ones in color, and seeing these provide lots of information to railfans and those who model trains. To see a steam engine doing its job for real, not at a museum, to see the train crews going about their work – it all provides a lot of information.

But, most of the 8mm and 16mm movie clips lack sound, as many railfans did not take audio recording equipment with them since that was a separate device from a home movie camera. This lack of audio presents a problem to many people seeking to release these clips on DVD for modern enjoyment. Some producers have elected to add music to the clips. A light piano riff or some swing music is a very fitting accompaniment to the vintage trains.

However, some companies take recordings of real trains and dub these over the vintage film. Sometimes the audio clearly comes from modern tourist lines. Others are from some archival footage. But none of them match up very well to the trains seen on the screen.

A real trainfan knows that every rotation of a steam locomotive’s wheel comes with four chuffs, and that little puff of steam from the whistle means that you should hear a whistle, not to mention the obvious bell ringing sound that usually comes with a bell that is, well, visibly ringing back and forth.

It is a nice attempt to set the mood with the sounds of trains, but too often I find these to be distracting. It is like watching a show where the audio isn’t synced well to the actor’s speech – something isn’t right and it kills the mood.

So, in the same sense that these train movies were not recorded with matching sound the Lucy shows were not recorded in color. I feel that adding stuff that wasn’t there originally is wrong. This includes color to Lucy shows, the sound of steam chugs to a train, or a bantha that wasn’t there at Mos Eisley.

It might make the material somehow more appealing to other audiences, but it can cause a large distraction among those who really know what they are looking at.

P.S. Is this the first use of the word “bantha” on the forum?

So, in the same sense that these train movies were not recorded with matching sound the Lucy shows were not recorded in color. I feel that adding stuff that wasn’t there originally is wrong. This includes color to Lucy shows, the sound of steam chugs to a train, or a bantha that wasn’t there at Mos Eisley.

It might make the material somehow more appealing to other audiences, but it can cause a large distraction among those who really know what they are looking at.

Probably...and more power to you! Bravo! ;)

I find the debate about the colorized versions of the show similar to an ongoing debate among railfans and our vintage movies. There are some good old movies of trains; even some neat ones in color, and seeing these provide lots of information to railfans and those who model trains. To see a steam engine doing its job for real, not at a museum, to see the train crews going about their work – it all provides a lot of information.

But, most of the 8mm and 16mm movie clips lack sound, as many railfans did not take audio recording equipment with them since that was a separate device from a home movie camera. This lack of audio presents a problem to many people seeking to release these clips on DVD for modern enjoyment. Some producers have elected to add music to the clips. A light piano riff or some swing music is a very fitting accompaniment to the vintage trains.

However, some companies take recordings of real trains and dub these over the vintage film. Sometimes the audio clearly comes from modern tourist lines. Others are from some archival footage. But none of them match up very well to the trains seen on the screen.

A real trainfan knows that every rotation of a steam locomotive’s wheel comes with four chuffs, and that little puff of steam from the whistle means that you should hear a whistle, not to mention the obvious bell ringing sound that usually comes with a bell that is, well, visibly ringing back and forth.

It is a nice attempt to set the mood with the sounds of trains, but too often I find these to be distracting. It is like watching a show where the audio isn’t synced well to the actor’s speech – something isn’t right and it kills the mood.

Wonderful argument!

If you ever come to Montreal, we have a rail Museum here. My best friend used to take me there and very recently, I found a laminated poster for the Museum at a flea market type place and bought it for him, I saw today that he had put it up in his basement with other memorabilia like John Lennon things and so on. It was in black and white by the way. A recent train event does not bring pleasant memories for anyone here though. About a month ago, a train that had been left idle overnight unattended rolled down the tracks in a small city near here and the train cars full of oil exploded and destroyed most of the downtown of this little burg, killing almost fifty people. TRAINS have a great history in our country and we often use them for traveling. The only trains I remember from TV are the Cannonball one from Petticoat Junction and of course Fred Silverman's disastrous SUPERTRAIN, see either of them?

Why is this thread still happening? We will have to wait- that's it... CBS is not going to change anything on this DVD release, it's too late. Every argument is becoming a repeat at this point, so let's just sit back and see what happens.

Some people just can't do that it seems, LOL!

I was just responding to Clevernickname's post. I think the photo posting has gone on enough though. There's no need hemming and hawing about new vs old. colorization. That's not going to change. This release is set in stone.

But some of us W A N T to see as many color shots as we can, we've always seen those pics in black and white and it's nice to see them in color for a change.

Desiluforever has said:

"YAY! And as a note... Gregg said they would be updating the colorization on the Christmas special for this release. Happy to see they are airing it too! "

So there is an update??

As much as I am sick of this topic, if you kept reading in a later post I quoted Gregg from a note he sent to JYuhas: "The only "fix" CBS is working on is to try to somehow "combine" the restored 1080p black and white version with the colorized 1989 version (without "re-colorizing" anything) to get pretty much the same colorization as the existing one, but with much sharper resolution and far fewer digital artifacts, which should make for a much better viewing experience."

As much as I am sick of this topic, if you kept reading in a later post I quoted Gregg from a note he sent to JYuhas: "The only "fix" CBS is working on is to try to somehow "combine" the restored 1080p black and white version with the colorized 1989 version (without "re-colorizing" anything) to get pretty much the same colorization as the existing one, but with much sharper resolution and far fewer digital artifacts, which should make for a much better viewing experience."

Oh for corn sakes, let's discuss all this when we actually see the damned thing. We're like reviewers who knock a movie before even seeing it, LOL!

I'd just like to say first off that to those that are against colorization........ Did the audience see it in Black and White..... no! Because of technological advances at the time that is why its in black and white..... I'm for the colorization of the series, and think it should be for younger generations as myself... The episodes I have seen is amazing (that are colorized).... for those that are annoyed the couch may be the wrong color.... your focusing on the wrong thing...... watch the episode!!! lol. I watched bewitched season 2 today..... in color........ looked pretty good to me although the picture was kinda grainy but rather see it in color than black and white. By the way I am color blind (not fully) so I don't see anything correct anyways.... what's the big deal if the walls are red, blue, gray... it still looks better in color..... Seems like this topic is anything but black and white for fans. haha. pun intended!

I'd just like to say first off that to those that are against colorization........ Did the audience see it in Black and White..... no! Because of technological advances at the time that is why its in black and white.....

This is not true that it wasn't in color because the technological advances weren't there back then, Technicolor was perfected in the mid 1930's so it was available for a long time yet the studios overwhelmingly released their movies in B&W with only a handful made in color it was possible. Movie studios didn't think it was that necessary at the time for films to be in color, certainly there was no public demand that color be the norm in the 1940's or even in the 1950's on the big screen to say nothing of the little one.

Desi knew enough to the film episodes so if he wanted to it he could filmed them in color, there were a couple of 1950s series that broadcast in B&W but were filmed in color like seasons two and three of TLS later were (I think THE LONE RANGER and THE GRAND OLE OPRY, the irony here being there wasn't that big a demand for these shows later although certainly country music buffs appreciate that priceless color footage from the period) , additionally there were shows "broadcast" live in color in the 1950's like Vivian and Bill's appearance on SHOWER OF THE STARS though hardly anyone had color sets at the time so the idea of color television was not unknown. He undoubtably felt, like the movie studios, it wasn't essential for the period or even in future decades. There was no lamenting ILL not being in color in the 1970's or even 1980's, at least not to the point where it hurt it's saleability.

I'm for the colorization of the series, and think it should be for younger generations as myself... The episodes I have seen is amazing (that are colorized).... for those that are annoyed the couch may be the wrong color.... your focusing on the wrong thing...... watch the episode!!! lol.

Your last sentence is actually the best argument against colorization.

As I've said before, I'm indifferent if ILL gets colorized or not I just want to make certain the B&W ILL is always preserved and easily available.

I'd just like to say first off that to those that are against colorization........ Did the audience see it in Black and White..... no! Because of technological advances at the time that is why its in black and white..... I'm for the colorization of the series, and think it should be for younger generations as myself... The episodes I have seen is amazing (that are colorized).... for those that are annoyed the couch may be the wrong color.... your focusing on the wrong thing...... watch the episode!!! lol. I watched bewitched season 2 today..... in color........ looked pretty good to me although the picture was kinda grainy but rather see it in color than black and white. By the way I am color blind (not fully) so I don't see anything correct anyways.... what's the big deal if the walls are red, blue, gray... it still looks better in color..... Seems like this topic is anything but black and white for fans. haha. pun intended!

I W U V you and welcome to the site. Well said too!

Archived