Colorized "I Love Lucy" DVD set for Nov. 5, CBS Special airs Dec. 20

Brock

• Replies 743
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just bought the colorized Christmas DVDs at my neighborhood Target.  Spotted that face on the shelf from across the store!  The computerized cash register did not want to sell it to me -- apparently some over-eager sales clerk put the discs out two days early! -- but the nice cashier over-rode the system and sold it to me anyway... Target apparently has an "exclusive" for a week, and then it's in general release on November 5th...

Just bought the colorized Christmas DVDs at my neighborhood Target.  Spotted that face on the shelf from across the store!  The computerized cash register did not want to sell it to me -- apparently some over-eager sales clerk put the discs out two days early! -- but the nice cashier over-rode the system and sold it to me anyway... Target apparently has an "exclusive" for a week, and then it's in general release on November 5th...

Thanks for the info, can't wait to get this, and we now have TARGET in Canada, the one near my house opened just a few weeks ago.

So Tom, how's it look?? Is the colorized stuff vastly improved? I trust your judgement (not that I won't buy it anyway! ;)) so I'm curious your thoughts on this.  :fabrary:

tjw I am glad that your local Target sold you  the dvd early. I was at my local Target Saturday October 26 and saw the dvd on the new tv show release shelf. Well I was so excited to see the dvd out  early. But my excitement turned to sadness very fast. Target refused to sell me the dvd because it had been put on the shelf to early by mistake.  The checkout computer would not accept the dvd sale. I asked the cashier to try and override the computer but no the cashier refused. I told the cashier that they had about 10 dvds on the shelf with the price of $12.99 shown on the shelf. But no no no they would not sell me the dvd. They quickly removed the  dvds and price tag until the official Target release date of Tuesday October 29. I wonder if all Target stores have put the dvd out early by mistake? Well Target made this Lucy fan mad, angry, sad and most of all shocked that they would not sell me the dvd.

But I am glad tjw that your Target was nice enough to sell you the dvd early. :D:lucywow::lucythrill::professor:

tjw I am glad that your local Target sold you  the dvd early. I was at my local Target Saturday October 26 and saw the dvd on the new tv show release shelf. Well I was so excited to see the dvd out  early. But my excitement turned to sadness very fast. Target refused to sell me the dvd because it had been put on the shelf to early by mistake.  The checkout computer would not accept the dvd sale. I asked the cashier to try and override the computer but no the cashier refused. I told the cashier that they had about 10 dvds on the shelf with the price of $12.99 shown on the shelf. But no no no they would not sell me the dvd. They quickly removed the  dvds and price tag until the official Target release date of Tuesday October 29. I wonder if all Target stores have put the dvd out early by mistake? Well Target made this Lucy fan mad, angry, sad and most of all shocked that they would not sell me the dvd.

But I am glad tjw that your Target was nice enough to sell you the dvd early. :D:lucywow::lucythrill::professor:

If it were me, I would never set foot in that store again.

I wouldn't be so hard on Target per se, they can actually get in a lot of trouble putting things out days early (and yes, they should know better!), at least from memory working in a video store back in the day, the owner was always at odds wanting to put out new releases early/before Tuesday, especially if they came in before the weekend (which they usually did), so as to take advantage of all the extra revenue since the heaviest rental period was Friday nights through Sunday afternoon.....I forget what the law or whatever is called -- if it's still even in place -- but heavy fines could be assessed for stores, etc. who put the stock out early for sale or rent....not that it stops everyone from doing it but still.... :vanda:

I wouldn't be so hard on Target per se, they can actually get in a lot of trouble putting things out days early (and yes, they should know better!), at least from memory working in a video store back in the day, the owner was always at odds wanting to put out new releases early/before Tuesday, especially if they came in before the weekend (which they usually did), so as to take advantage of all the extra revenue since the heaviest rental period was Friday nights through Sunday afternoon.....I forget what the law or whatever is called -- if it's still even in place -- but heavy fines could be assessed for stores, etc. who put the stock out early for sale or rent....not that it stops everyone from doing it but still.... :vanda:

We did the exact same thing at the video store where I worked.

Since Target has the permission to sell the dvd a week early on Tuesday October 29 one would think that they would not make such a silly mistake by putting the dvd out before the Target release date. They must have some clueless dvd stockers at their stores. :lucydaze::lucyeww::gary:

Many of them in our local stores seem to be hard-working younguns, probably going to school/college and working too... and probably just following their bosses' orders .... 

Harsh.  :lucyeww:

LOL! Lucy Ricardo would never put up drapes that color, the clash with the furniture is something she never would have tolerated. More for Carolyn/Lillian Appleby and her Chinese modern crap.

Yes,Lucy's apartment looks like a bad dream you'd have after eating a box of crayolas.

Yes,Lucy's apartment looks like a bad dream you'd have after eating a box of crayolas.

lol I think thats how that old version looks. Like it was done with highlighters lol But this one has such a full look to it IMO- I thought they would have went with the royal red colors for the curtains, but sometimes, some blue hues look best over BW film than reds and other colors, so they probably went with nice navy. I also like the beige walls- it makes everything else kind of pop. 

lol I think thats how that old version looks. Like it was done with highlighters lol But this one has such a full look to it IMO- I thought they would have went with the royal red colors for the curtain, but sometimes, some colors look best over BW film, so they probably went with nice navy. I also like the beige walls- it makes everything else kind of pop. 

It felt that the old version looked like it was done using canned spray-paints, the way those colors bled!  I like the look of the forthcoming version.  I thought that they would've used the red color for the curtain, too.  I guess that's why it was used, because it looked best on BW film.  The walls look liked greyscale to me.  The walls in the old version looked more beige/coral.  In the color still photo of Lucy & Ricky by the Christmas Tree, the walls look like a bluish-grey, unless it was the lighting that made it look like that.  Maybe they dimmed the lights, that's why it looked like a darker color.  If you look at some of the other color stills that were taken on that apartment set, (the one with the window), again, they're different shades of grey (no, not fifty)!  LOL!  But, the walls are a very light gray, while the trim & edging is a darker grey.  So, I guess that's what they went with, and what looked the best in both color, and black and white. 

From what I could tell, the couch is blue, so I guess they went with the color of the couch and chair that's featured in the Ricardo's living room apartment set, that's housed in Jamestown.  What do you think they utilized for color reference?  Do you think they used the color photos of the Christmas episode, as well as the other color photos that featured their apartment in color, as well as the Jamestown sets, or do you think they winged it, and guessed/ad-libbed?  Maybe they used it all.  Maybe they used everything. 

Here's a question I'd like to ask, and it's a same question I often ask myself.  When colorizing something, do you want to see it with the colors that were originally used, liked the red curtain, bluish/gray walls, or would you want to see it with the colors that they would've used, had the show been filmed in color?  I guess the people that colorize movies and TV shows would know what colors would've been used, had a specific movie or TV show had been filmed in color.  For example, they'd look at the red curtain and say, "It was red so it would show up better on black & white film, but had they used color film, they def. would've went with blue, so we'll make the curtains blue, etc." 

It felt that the old version looked like it was done using canned spray-paints, the way those colors bled!  I like the look of the forthcoming version.

.... What do you think they utilized for color reference?  Do you think they used the color photos of the Christmas episode, as well as the other color photos that featured their apartment in color, as well as the Jamestown sets, or do you think they winged it, and guessed/ad-libbed?  Maybe they used it all.  Maybe they used everything. 

Here's a question I'd like to ask, and it's a same question I often ask myself.  When colorizing something, do you want to see it with the colors that were originally used, liked the red curtain, bluish/gray walls, or would you want to see it with the colors that they would've used, had the show been filmed in color?  I guess the people that colorize movies and TV shows would know what colors would've been used, had a specific movie or TV show had been filmed in color.  For example, they'd look at the red curtain and say, "It was red so it would show up better on black & white film, but had they used color film, they def. would've went with blue, so we'll make the curtains blue, etc." 

I totally understand and  agree 100%-Im not sure as to what they used as a reference guide, but Im almost sure that the people behind it have hundreds of colors stills and some color footage to look at and really study from. 

What a great question about the coloring choice!

I think you can do both, but when doing something like this DVD, and airing it on TV again-Id say go for the original look with the best color choices if needed. 

I wouldn't want to have a bad looking picture, for the sake of keeping the original colors-however, Id like to stay as true to the original color as possible-

the original color scheme brings so much validity to the table, and that affects the way I watch the show. 

When its done in its original colors, or close to it- I feel comfortable, knowing this is how it'd look, if shot in color. I wouldn't  have that feeling of "thats one way it could have looked" or "I wonder what the real colors were" 

I think back then, in the early days of coloring, film was colored to have a color affect, and not to match the colors exactly. Now, that technology has changed, you can try to achieve a natural look.

Definitely skipping this one. I already have the "colorized" episodes in question should I get the mad desire to watch them. Plus I don't want to encourage CBS to whip out crayons to scribble on the rest of them. And may I say again how utterly ridiculous the tag line for this release is. UGH!

I guess they could have put out a little tweet to see how folks would like the title before putting it out, but hey whats done is done. 

I think a lot of misses are dodged when you find out exactly what your audience or fans want via social media now days.

Every one is a bit more connected, and being interactive with a lot of fans can be very helpful 

Would the members who have the rest of the other "I Love Lucy" Colorized Christmas screen-grabs, post them, please?  I believe that there's a couple members who do have them, and I'd very much like to see them.  I'd appreciate it.  If you're unable to post them here, would you please send them to me?  If you can't send them via PM, my E-mail address is Jonathan.Yuhas@yahoo.com.  Thanks! 

Would the members who have the rest of the other "I Love Lucy" Colorized Christmas screen-grabs, post them, please?  I believe that there's a couple members who do have them, and I'd very much like to see them.  I'd appreciate it.  If you're unable to post them here, would you please send them to me?  If you can't send them via PM, my E-mail address is Jonathan.Yuhas@yahoo.com.  Thanks! 

I don't have the sacred christmas caps- but I thought to send you some of the color pics I posted  without the logos if you'd like. 

Well it might not have been the Target stockers fault. But the Target media and electronics department managers should know better. They should not put out media ahead of the release dates and then refuse a sale. But it really does not matter now Target has the dvd for sale now on its Target release date of today Tuesday October 29.

Trying to decide on colors for the I Love Lucy color shows must be a hard and interesting job.

DoreSchary & Rickee:

Would you be able to post and/or send the colorized "I Love Lucy" Colorized Christmas screen-grabs?  I'd love to see the other ones the two of you were going to post, but weren't able to. My E-mail address is Jonathan.Yuhas@yahoo.com, you can use that to do a Facebook search for me, too!

Archived